Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:37 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's a little bit more than the UC, including some cold wraps and a slightly larger salad selection. I assume there's soup but didn't look closely. It's nothing like the GFL spread used to be. Seats are about 95% full now.

Meanwhile, he GFL tradition of guests skyping/watching videos without headphones continues.
I was in the IAD GFL, sent over from the C7 UC apparently due to being in Polaris business, on Saturday. Based on prior experience, what you describe for the SFO temp lounge applies at IAD, too. The food spread was definitely a downgrade from the GFL (and IAD still uses it as such, mind you), but a bit more than the UC.

I'll compare the temp lounge at SFO next month on my way to TPE in Polaris C... I'm expecting to spend more of my time at the Centurion lounge, though.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
United Polaris Lounge SFO

They removed a piece of the temporary panel in front of the construction zone this morning. This is what was revealed.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

Hmm, the weird rumor I heard it is gonna open end of the month.
Originally Posted by kluau88

They removed a piece of the temporary panel in front of the construction zone this morning. This is what was revealed.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hdfdisk

Hmm, the weird rumor I heard it is gonna open end of the month.

I thought that rumor was debunked?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Still hearing they are aiming to open at the end of April. This morning from what I could see they put some of the “marble” siding up as you can see on the far left.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kluau88
Still hearing they are aiming to open at the end of April..
Maybe a two-phase opening?
New space but without a full kitchen?
And then full Polaris lounge operation in a few months?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It'll probably open AFTER I fly out on 4/24.

So for those flying out after that date, you're welcome.
kirkwoodj and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What the agent told me on Wednesday was "about a month" but they needed approvals (that would be City of SF).
Starman likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:35 pm

Really? The airport is in San Mateo, does the city run it?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
Really? The airport is in San Mateo, does the city run it?
SFO is owned and policed by the City and County of San Francisco, but is in San Mateo County.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Kacee
What the agent told me on Wednesday was "about a month" but they needed approvals (that would be City of SF).
In United speak that means it will open December 2025.

All jokes aside, I have a trip planned in June with a gross 5 hour layover, I'm definitely hoping it's open by then so I can check it out. I don't think it will be open when I come through Apr 29 though.
wrp96 and zeer0 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just in the old GFL prior to a business class flight to NRT. It was like a refugee camp. Several families had each spread out over entire areas. There was not a single seat available when I entered except in a side section labeled "Global Services Only," with a warning sign on each seat. That section was virtually deserted.

Once again, it is clear that the only status level which matters to United is global services. It is equally clear that the club situation remains dismal.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Once again, it is clear that the only status level which matters to United is global services.
As a 1k with $30k pqd last year, I have no problems with this. $~50k/year is a ton of business. The line needs to be somewhere.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was just in the old GFL prior to a business class flight to NRT. It was like a refugee camp. Several families had each spread out over entire areas. There was not a single seat available when I entered except in a side section labeled "Global Services Only," with a warning sign on each seat. That section was virtually deserted.
It's not a very good use of space. There was not a single person, and something like 20 empty seats in that area when I was there.

SQ and BR, which gave up their lounges for this, must be absolutely livid. SQ is especially particular about lounge access for its premium cabin pax.
Silver Fox and zeer0 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR

Once again, it is clear that the only status level which matters to United is global services. It is equally clear that the club situation remains dismal.

Was just there this afternoon too waiting for the delayed SFO-FRA flight. Lounge was such a mess that I decided to get sushi at Tomokazu and to camp out at the seating area they’ve installed right outside the lounge.

The GS section was laughable. Someone literally printed out a few GS-only signs in Arial font on black and white printer paper and taped them to a couple pieces of furniture. As you said, the GS-only area was dark, depressing and had only a few people seated in it. (It reminded me of when as a young kid I would cordon off a section of my living room with tape and imagine that it was a secret club!) But at least they had seats unlike the rest of us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.