Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do 787 LCD windows reduce cell phone reception?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do 787 LCD windows reduce cell phone reception?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Just returned from OZ and thought there was something wrong with my phone. (787 both ways). Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I experienced this the very first time I was on the 787 a while back. I thought it was the composite material. So, it is the LCD?

It is not fun when you have a really early arrival into SFO and are stuck on the plane without phone service http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...fore-open.html . I tried both my AT&T and Verizon and it did not work - although another passenger sitting in the center got through on his Verizon on 3G and he said it was spotty.

Last edited by username; Sep 17, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:08 am

^ yes, the windows. No doubt about it. With my GPS, which picks up much weaker signals in bands (frequencies) similar to cell phones, the nearer I am to windows (on regular aircraft of course) the stronger the signal. It also depends on angle to the window, since GPS signals propagate roughly on line of sight. If I move my GPS away from the window, say a foot below, I lose most or all signals. Middle seat it may work on the tray table (line of sight again) but not below. None of this is any surprise if you understand electromagnetic wave propagation and shielding. As others have said, the fuselage is a great shield.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I can confirm that every Land Rover I have owned has been a problem for my toll pass. Each one has a very thick windshield with a electrical defrost feature. Works great for its intended purpose, but does cause interference for not only my toll pass sticker but even my cell phone on occasion.
Where I live the EZ tag operator offers a device that can be attached to the front license plate holder in order to substitute for the windshield mounted ones. The purpose of this is for armored (bullet resistant) vehicles to be able to use this service, as the thick laminated glass they are equipped with stymies the tags functionality.

You may want to check if there's something similar available for your LR's.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyWorld
Where I live the EZ tag operator offers a device that can be attached to the front license plate holder in order to substitute for the windshield mounted ones. The purpose of this is for armored (bullet resistant) vehicles to be able to use this service
Where do you live, Kandahar?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Calchas
Or Chicago.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Good ol' Mexico. All these rich folk scared of getting kidnapped make for a big market in armored cars.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by klevin99
^ yes, the windows. No doubt about it. With my GPS, which picks up much weaker signals in bands (frequencies) similar to cell phones, the nearer I am to windows (on regular aircraft of course) the stronger the signal. It also depends on angle to the window, since GPS signals propagate roughly on line of sight. If I move my GPS away from the window, say a foot below, I lose most or all signals. Middle seat it may work on the tray table (line of sight again) but not below. None of this is any surprise if you understand electromagnetic wave propagation and shielding. As others have said, the fuselage is a great shield.
I can always get a signal at the window seat I may lose it once in a while. Even in the middle seat usually. Once I get to the aisle, I usually get close to nothing. If I recall, GPS wavelength is in the 8inch range so half/quarter can definitely fit through a window. I don't think line of sight is strictly required as I can pickup satellites on the other side of the plane so I must be getting multi-path. I recall getting stuck in the middle on a 777 and still managing to get a gps lock sometimes.

Anyways, yes it's definitely the windows.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: ua swa
Yes you are correct a 787 is a flyng Fadaday cage. I also noted horrible phone reception on the ground and i canot recveive GPS while flying like i can in a 777 even over the pole. My google maps works well (if i down load map before flight) showing location, but not on a 787

One advantage if you are like the old brother character in "Better call Saul" no microwave radiation in a 787! Lets not discuss neutrinos!

JJM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.