Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by zitsky
Looking to book a South America trip in December 2018. Absolutely no Business Saver awards. Is this normal?
Are you getting results on partner airlines too? I've seen some backend issues where the partners don't report availability and then it comes through. You'll most likely not see Business Saver on UA metal, those seem to be rare, but partners should show up unless they haven't released availability this far ahead.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by motoridersd
Are you getting results on partner airlines too? I've seen some backend issues where the partners don't report availability and then it comes through. You'll most likely not see Business Saver on UA metal, those seem to be rare, but partners should show up unless they haven't released availability this far ahead.
I will check partners. I was avoiding them because of an extra stop 2. Instead of UA, 1 stop.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Looking to book a South America trip in December 2018. Absolutely no Business Saver awards. Is this normal?
For UA metal? Yes. No international business saver awards is the norm. Particularly during high demand periods such as South America in December.

Miles are becoming very difficult to use well for UA flights.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:23 am

Thanks. Yes very difficult to use miles these days.

310,000 for South America is ridiculous.

Edit: it doesn't look any better on partner flights.

Last edited by zitsky; Jan 21, 2018 at 9:37 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks. Yes very difficult to use miles these days.
Award availability is dynamic. If you check every day, there is a reasonable chance (but no guaranty) you will eventually find something that works. Does make it really difficult to plan in advance.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I generally see good availability into South America on CM and other partners. The downside is it always involves being on a 737 the whole way..
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Questions on this itinerary:
Award travel PNH-MNL routing thru BKK.....
Call UA to get the early flight arrives 11:15 am to BKK, so I can have dinner with friends and Depart early next morning 7:45am to MNL.
Was told that I would be charged for 2 one way and double miles instead.
The layover is less the 24 hours, but was told that if the routing is not showing up it can't be booked as 1 one-way.
Was told that the less than 24 hr rule no longer applies since sometime last year.
UA, in the pass was able to manually do this for me.
Is this the "TRUTH" or should I try and call again.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rerunree1
The layover is less the 24 hours, but was told that if the routing is not showing up it can't be booked as 1 one-way.
Was told that the less than 24 hr rule no longer applies since sometime last year.
Yes, that's the new policy as of October '16. If a set of flights doesn't appear when searched from origin to destination, it will be priced on a point-to-point basis.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
Slow calendar view

I just noticed that on the new site the award flights load several seconds before the calendar does. So you can start perusing flights while that ball is still spinning over "week view." Can save a lot of time depending on how many dates you have to inspect!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I have an award ticket booked through UA on Copa in March (in Business, I-class). Anyone have any thoughts as to why they want to charge me $275 for baggage?
(Don't know if this matters, but one outbound leg is on Avianca.)

$275 baggage fee
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
I generally see good availability into South America on CM and other partners. The downside is it always involves being on a 737 the whole way..
Yep. CM is normally non lie-flat seats. I chose to take AV when going to south america. Cheap business class availability awards and lie-flat beds. Only downside were long layovers in Bogota.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Yep. CM is normally non lie-flat seats.
CM is always recliner seats. They don't have a lie-flat in their fleet (which is all narrowbody).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
CM is always recliner seats. They don't have a lie-flat in their fleet (which is all narrowbody).
Didn't know that. Good to know!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:20 pm

Booking award online for two people

Maybe I misunderstood, but I was told somewhere I could book for two people using each person's Mileage Plus account number. That doesn't seem to be true when doing an online search. I do a search, select flights then it tells me I don't have enough miles in my account. There's no place to show Person1 ID is 1234 and Person 2 ID is 2345. Should I just call the reservation desk? Is there a way to do this online?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Maybe I misunderstood, but I was told somewhere I could book for two people using each person's Mileage Plus account number. That doesn't seem to be true when doing an online search. I do a search, select flights then it tells me I don't have enough miles in my account. There's no place to show Person1 ID is 1234 and Person 2 ID is 2345. Should I just call the reservation desk? Is there a way to do this online?
To book two people using miles frm two MileagePlus accounts you need to book each person separately using the appropriate account that has the miles required for each booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.