Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apranger
I don't want to pay $75 per ticket to cancel a free award ticket. I think that's ridiculous, but that's what the CSR told me. Is there any way to get around it, besides hanging up and trying for a more sympathetic agent?

I am worried about a no-show for the LHR->MXP leg impacting my return flight from Italy.
The change costs $75, or $125 if done less than 60 days prior to departure. The only way it'll be waived is if there's a significant delay or schedule change to that flight, at which point you would be able to drop it for no charge.

You're absolutely right that if you no-show LHR->MXP, your onward flights will be cancelled.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Can I book an award for two people on a single PNR pulling the appropriate number of miles from each of their accounts? Don't have enough in a single account for both, but each individually does, so not trying to "pool" miles, just book together as one record. Alaska Airlines allows this no problem, even on partner awards, does United? Would prefer to do that if possible in case of irrops but if its not policy and have to play "call until maybe get someone willing to do it" I won't waste my time and will just book separate.

Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by apranger
We don't like the LHR->MXP flight and after thinking about it, we'd rather save a long travel day and just book a nonstop regional flight LHR->FCO as Rome is our first real destination of our Italy trip anyway.
While an MXP-FCO flight will only make your travel day longer, at least the fare is only ~$50 with a day that pales in comparison to PDX-LHR.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rules have not changed, but the booking process has. You are generally limited to what the system offers you, and the choices tend to be much fewer than what was offered in the past. You could try calling to book the combination you want, but there's a good chance the result will be the same.
Originally Posted by CIT85
You can also separately check for SNA-SFO award availability. It's likely that UA is only offering the evening flights for saver awards. If there is reasonable availability on SNA-SFO, you book what UA offers first and then call to request change to the earlier flights with availability.

This sounds like UA control of domestic award availability which I have to deal with all the time. I can't get from RIC-ORD to be able to do ORD-XXX TPAC.
Thanks guys. I did book a late-afternoon ONT-SFO flight with a SFO-TPAC flight on the following day using the internet. After confirming availability with the morning ONT-SFO flight, I called United Reservation, and they had no problem switching to the morning flight for me, even though it did not show up when I searched on United.com in the first place. So now, I will have a 23h57m layover in SFO, which allows me to do a quick city tour and visit my relatives at the same time as well.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:58 pm

Is the Multi City (using for excursionist routing) not pricing excursionist leg correctly again?

For a J itinerary after checking all the legs, I am trying to use Multi City - it offers a Y excursionist leg for 0 miles but 30K for J (all saver awards are available).

Is it broken again, or never fixed from previous time?

Or am I crazy? Please don't answer the last question.... I am here, right?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffmhoarder
Is it broken again, or never fixed from previous time?
Yes, it appears to be broken again. It was definitely fixed the last time; IIRC, it took about a week and a half.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by ffmhoarder
Is the Multi City (using for excursionist routing) not pricing excursionist leg correctly again?
It works for me (haven't checked fare class though).

02/05/2019 SFO (UA) EWR (TP) LIS 30k+$86.20
02/09/2019 LPA (SK) ARN (SK) KRN 0+$28.30
02/12/2019 CPH (SK) ORD 30k+$42.03
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
It works for me.

02/05/2019 SFO (UA) EWR (TP) LIS 30k+$86.20
02/09/2019 LPA (SK) ARN (SK) KRN 0+$28.30
02/12/2019 CPH (SK) ORD 30k+$42.03
It seems to work in Y, but it doesn't work in J. It's only allowing the excursionist perk if the free leg is in Y, even if the previous flight is in J.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It seems to work in Y, but it doesn't work in J. It's only allowing the excursionist perk if the free leg is in Y, even if the previous flight is in J.
Yes, that is exactly what I ran into.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
Anybody know why United is not showing availability on LAX-IST flight after April 29th?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
Anybody know why United is not showing availability on LAX-IST flight after April 29th?
I've been pricing out award travel in June/July for Europe. I've been getting search results that include LAX-IST.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
No availability LAX-IST after April 29th.
Originally Posted by iapetus
I've been pricing out award travel in June/July for Europe. I've been getting search results that include LAX-IST.
Could you show an example? Here's a picture of what United has in their non-stop calendar. FYI: Turkish website shows Economy Limited (i.e. Saver Space) throughout the year. Also, this doesn't seem to be limited to United. ANA and Aeroplan sites are doing the same thing.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could you show an example?
Hmmm ... it appears that I spoke too soon. Sorry. I've been scouring for saver fares, and I know that I saw LAX-IST, IST-FCO pop up late last week (and maybe even this weekend). But I cannot find them now. Did you catch the notification about Singapore, TAP and THAI awards being temporarily unavailable? I wonder if the problem isn't spreading.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
Hmmm ... it appears that I spoke too soon. Sorry. I've been scouring for saver fares, and I know that I saw LAX-IST, IST-FCO pop up late last week (and maybe even this weekend). But I cannot find them now. Did you catch the notification about Singapore, TAP and THAI awards being temporarily unavailable? I wonder if the problem isn't spreading.
No need to jump to any conclusions. The award inventory is clearly present earlier in the calendar. The most likely explanation is that TK has pulled their award availability. That theory is supported by the fact that other partners also can't see the flights.

The fact that it's available on TK's website isn't relevant. Airlines can (and do) provide award additional availability to their own members.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
The fact that it's available on TK's website isn't relevant. Airlines can (and do) provide award additional availability to their own members.
I'm banking on UA doing so for my summer travel. Speaking of which, I would like to purchase two saver award tickets from LAX-LHR on NZ. united.com is showing availability. However, I need a third ticket and don't have the miles for an award; so I'd like to purchase it outright. But when I perform a regular (i.e. not award) search, I do not see that same itinerary available for purchase through UA. Is this unusual?

The problem is that while I can go directly to NZ to purchase that a ticket on that flight, going about it this way means that it's going to look like there is at least one unaccompanied minor (i.e. either one or both of the iapetus jrs. will wind up on a different PNR than mrs. iapetus), which will lead to all sorts of other headaches. Just thought I'd see if any of my fellow FTers have some insight on this that I lack ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.