Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I fly a lot of UA domestically, often in paid F, and find they are are usually competitive there, though I am picking them based on routes and times, certainly not loyalty. But what I find internationally is that they are rarely that competitive in business class. Other airlines, especially the EU ones, are usually cheaper or have upgrade space available at booking. And that is setting aside that UA Polaris soft product is awful.

The upshot is that I flew international business class half a dozen RTs last year, and none were on UA (and all, frankly, a nicer experience). Of course, if they are selling out anyway, I suppose they dont care.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
When booking 1-4 weeks in advance UA is more competitive. Im looking at LAX-MCO vv in June and UA is astronomical (as is DL in C+).
And C+ with DL is often filling up a lot quicker than Main Cabin is. Which could be some sort of combination of PM elite glut (Ill cheerfully admit to being part of the problem) leading to PMs booking earlier to grab those to driving up cash prices for C+ leading to more PMs trying to snare those seats as they seem scarce.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Fingers crossed it drops on UA or DL.
I'd be keeping my fingers crossed B6 doesn't cancel the flight.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd be keeping my fingers crossed B6 doesn't cancel the flight.
So very true. Been burned before by B6, but I guess I like living on the edge.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Why is UA more expensive than others? Just different revenue management. I’m pretty sure UA is aware of the price differentials (and may eventually text) but I think UA believes (as each airlines does) that they are doing it right. Day-to-day differences far out on a particular flight when demand is low aren’t as important as what happens closer to the flight when most of the seats start to sell. To put it another way, UA doesn't care if they hook some or lose some far in advance - the bulk of the revenue they’re looking for will be closer to departure. Lower fares are generally a part of that later overall revenue management scheme.
UA is "more expensive than others" because the submitted data are cherry-picked dates and citypairs from a thread complaining about how UA is expensive.

I could just as soon bemoan that the bottom of the fare table is now $478 for DL on SFO-MSP despite the fact that UA is flying the route again and significantly undercutting DL, while AS offers even cheaper fares via SEA or ORD.

Especially when looking at individual flights, where specific inventory is a consideration, there will be enough outliers that it's possible to pick data supporting any conclusion. As xliioper pointed out on another market, it's actually most common to have everyone competing in a market offering the same fares, and the only differentiation being the inventory modeling and current sales loads on the various flights.

Fare tables are indicative of market pricing strategies. Single-flight inventory is indicative of a computer spitting out numbers based on a statistical model, and one sample is hardly enough to infer something about the model.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, tods27 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I mean this is pricing 101. If people are buying at the current price, prices continue to go up. Else you test the waters with a slightly lower price. by releasing a couple seats in a lower bucket. If those go pretty quick after being released you know 1) people are watching that flight and 2) you're in the ball park of what the market is going to bear currently. If people buy that lower price you go back up to see if you can get a higher price from the next buyers (and if there's multiple people watching, good chance you will do to the psychological effect of "missing out" on that lower price thinking it would continue to go lower). Else if people don't bite you continue to repeat that process of releasing lower fares until you figure out where people will buy at. Now do that for the close to 1 million flights populated in your schedule at any one time. The art of revenue management is figuring out when exactly to make those changes to be wiling to fill your plane with lower fares and by how much you need to do it.

And of course with the use of continuous pricing you can fine tune those price points even more to more accurately capture the going rate for individual seats.

Spring break time when bookings are well ahead of pace by 20-40% over 2019 same period.
Even budget airlines are more expensive
they just want to make more money since they lost too much during the pandemic
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I was 1K for 10+ plus. Give it up. It's the most liberating ever.

Today I fly the worlds nicest airlines, that treat me way nicer than United ever did.
seanp7, Kacee, nomad420 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Fare tables are indicative of market pricing strategies. Single-flight inventory is indicative of a computer spitting out numbers based on a statistical model, and one sample is hardly enough to infer something about the model.
True enough, but fare tables won't tell the full story because carriers also use inventory restrictions to keep fares higher. For example, there have been entire months where AA zeroed out discount economy buckets PHX-SFO. This may well have been an error (AA makes these kinds of mistakes) but the impact was that AA economy fares were consistently $200 higher than UA, AS, or WN for an entire month. More relevant to this thread, even when UA publishes discount fares on a route, they may not release any discount inventory 6+ months out, particularly in business class, for reasons already mentioned in this thread.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
I'm in the process of planning out about 10 trips for June-Dec this year and have noticed that for every international route I look at, United is 2x (or more) the price of American or Delta for direct fights and sometimes up to 3x the price when there is a single stop on the way in discount business class. All from LAX. Destinations like St. Thomas (not technically international?), London, Sydney, Tokyo, Geneva, Rio.
I am not trying to be snarky, but it sounds like a no-brainer - go with DL or AA.

To me it is a tougher call when the price difference is not so much. But if it is really a 2x/3x price difference, and you are looking at business class where you'll still get the trip-day perks like priority through security, lounge access, boarding before the hordes (if you want), etc. even if you have no status? Easy call IMO.
jsloan and JimInOhio like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's an urban myth. In my experience, I almost always get better prices booking early. I monitor prices, and see price drops less than 5% of the time.

With no more change fees, there's little to no reason to take the risk unless you have cash flow problems.
I absolutely agree with you. Perhaps pre-Covid the pattern was different. But I have 4 intentional flights booked (AU, IT, CH and ES/FR) with travel dates between March and November. I booked all of them approximately 10-11 months out. In each case, post booking fares on my dates in business have risen significantly, times dramatically. They are not all UAL, but the pattern I see in the lower fare buckets is that at least a few seats become available early and I pounce. Once they are gone, they may or may note ever return. What I do, is start monitoring the routes I seek well before travel to understand current pricing so that when my window opens I confirm that the fares are good value. Obviously, this strategy won't work to capture a sudden sale unless you are willing to live with a fare credit.

BTW, the pattern the OP notes with UAL I see with Delta from MIA. For instance, looking to a trip I want to take to France, Delta is consistently 1K higher in business than almost any other carrier regardless of routing or number of stops involved. I see this too on domestic travel from South Florida. UAL is very competitive on almost all routes (except Oceania), even to Cape Town where I see the fare drop to 4.5k R/T on some dates with a nonstop from either IAD or EWR. Delta is thousands more using their ATL-CPT nonstop. The point is I cannot speak for LAX originating traffic, but even if UAL is attempting to extract a premium in that market this strategy does not appear to be system wide.

Last edited by wanderlustFL; Jan 24, 2023 at 10:27 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:56 am

Getting a low fare (or a decent fare anyway) has always required perseverance and diligence, IMHO. Case in point: Wife and I want to visit family at the Jersey Shore in July from Bay Area. UA is running 8-9 flights/day from SFO. On the Saturday we wanted, all business seats were either $3,419 or $2,589 one way, depending on time of day. AS, on the other hand, has 3 flights each way for $782 in business class.

We have been flying UA fairly regularly for decades, and are GS and Pass Plus members. But $3,419 vs $782 (double that for round trip) is already out there, and has been, for some time that I have been looking. One has to be insanely loyal to UA to be paying such fares, when AS has a very reasonable alternative in J cabin.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:44 am

My question is who is buying these inflated international J fares. I had to fly LAX-GRU for work late last year and our corporate travel policy allows me to book J on longer flights. Round trip UA was around $14,000 and AA was around $5,000. I would have preferred to fly on UA since the schedule and hard product are better, but I would have been laughed out of the room if I tried to expense a $14,000 flight. Do some companies just not care if you try to expense a five-figure flight? My company is pretty relaxed with expenses but I feel like $10k+ on a single flight would be pushing it too far.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
on a plane that is completely empty.
United is smart enough to observe most people don't book this far out, so they don't worry about the flight being empty now when they generate pricing.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
United is smart enough to observe most people don't book this far out, so they don't worry about the flight being empty now when they generate pricing.
Yes, if a flight is not mostly empty 5-11 months out, it would mean they priced things way too cheaply.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Bear96
I am not trying to be snarky, but it sounds like a no-brainer - go with DL or AA.
For me, it is most often AF or BA, but also OS, TAP, KLM, LH and SN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.