Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Potential reasons for high fares
-- the lower fare classes are sold out
-- the lower fare classes are not available due to fare rule restrictions
..... day of the week travel restrictions, Saturday night stay requirement, minimum stay requirement, advance purchase requirements, ...
-- desired fares are not combinable
-- discount fares not available for one-ways, only roundtrips Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?
-- discount inventory for codeshare marketing airline is gone, but flight operator may have discount fare (or the reverse)
-- Plating -- airlines restrict the best fare to their ticket stock, meaning ticketing that flight on another ticket stock will be more expensive
-- Airline is figuring it will still sell (due to last minute purchases0 even if the competition is lower earlier. Such as peak leisure periods or special events.
-- Airline is placing a premium on non-stop (monopoly?) versus alternative connecting routings

If you find an expensive flight, start by checking the fare class and compare to the less expensive option -- that generally will explain a lot.

Archive thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Why is this UA fare so expensive?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2024, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nomad420
SFO-LAX 5/16 10:52 out LAX-SFO 5/17 6am out. $1317 coach.
This was checked on 5/14 so about 2 days priors to departure. Needless to say I am not flying UA..... pretty crazy.
Looking now for today, there are ~12 seats total for sale on UA LAX-SFO (all day) so I assume you saw full Y or close to it. Unlike many other short-haul markets UA of course competes O&D on SFO-LAX but not going to give the last seat on what could be a long-haul connection for a song.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Got another good one. Family member wanted to meet me in Cor De Laine ID for the 4th.
SFO-GEG 7/2 and back on 7/7 with a stop in DEN (not the direct flight) $1400 (coach of course). The same ticket on miles was north of 100K. Needless to say he isn't going. To be fair other carriers were not much better.

Last edited by nomad420; May 29, 2024 at 1:43 pm
Old May 29, 2024, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Got another good one. Family member wanted to meet me in Cor De Laine ID for the 4th.
SFO-GEG 7/2 and back on 7/7 with a stop in DEN (not the direct flight) $1400 (coach of course). The same ticket on miles was north of 100K. Needless to say he isn't going. To be fair other carriers were not a whole lot better.
The nonstop flight is $750 RT. The flights via DEN are more expensive, especially the return, simply due to there being a lot of passengers already booked on GEG-DEN and vv.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old May 29, 2024, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The nonstop flight is $750 RT. The flights via DEN are more expensive, especially the return, simply due to there being a lot of passengers already booked on GEG-DEN and vv.
Appreciate the prompt feedback. That was not the case on the NS a few days ago. But at $750 for the NS now he will probably grab it. Just called him and thanks again.
jsloan and narvik like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.