Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is the change to early boarding for families w/children 2 or under a good move by UA?
Like the change and it will improve boarding time
9.68%
Like the change but it will not improve boarding time
9.01%
Dislike the change but it will improve boarding time
2.15%
Dislike the change and it will not improve boarding time
61.02%
Could support a different change and it will improve boarding time
3.09%
Could support a different change but it will not improve boarding time
2.96%
Neutral but it will improve boarding times
2.02%
Neutral but it will not improve boarding times
10.08%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
...to only help those who genuinely need extra time, this is not going to delay anyone's boarding by more than a couple minutes...
I think that there is an internal inconsistency in this statement. Three families that "need extra time" will clog things up in the jetway right off the bat.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by PanAmOneTwo
Horrible decision. Do you know how many families with 'small children' fly e.g. EWR-DEL/BOM and vice versa? It's half the bloody plane. By the time all these otherwise Group 5 families board, there will be no overhead space for even Group 2. Completely inane move.
That's a valid point. I fly this route often and you speak the truth.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Do what SouthWest does. Allow group 1 to board, then families after that. That works quite well in my experience.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:33 pm

This is a customer friendly move to the general population, so I'm not entirely sure what the uproar here is. Plenty of airlines do this and it's not the end of the world. Traveling is exponentially harder for parents with little ones.

UAInsider is not saying that all those groups board before GS, but rather they all board together...at the same time...as pre-boards. At least that's my interpretation. Maybe they could board after premium cabins and elites, but we've seen how those lines get backed up in the jetway too.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I think that there is an internal inconsistency in this statement. Three families that "need extra time" will clog things up in the jetway right off the bat.
Here's the problem: they're going to clog up the jetway at some point in the boarding process. While I appreciate the ability to board early as an elite, as a human I have a hard time with the concept of pushing the slow boarders behind "my" zone so that I'm not impacted.

One reason small children should board early is that car seats must be in a window seat, or in a middle section that does not block access to an aisle.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
Here's the problem: they're going to clog up the jetway at some point in the boarding process. While I appreciate the ability to board early as an elite, as a human I have a hard time with the concept of pushing the slow boarders behind "my" zone so that I'm not impacted.
If they are going to do this, then they should do it well in advance of when general boarding begins - so it doesn't clog up the jetway or the aisle.

I have a hard time with the concept of an airline offering me an enticement to fly their airline - in this case, early boarding so that I am assured overhead space for my carry on luggage - with pushing me back in the process so that when I get to my seat, there is no overhead stowage available.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by PanAmOneTwo
Horrible decision. Do you know how many families with 'small children' fly e.g. EWR-DEL/BOM and vice versa? It's half the bloody plane. By the time all these otherwise Group 5 families board, there will be no overhead space for even Group 2. Completely inane move.
I can't agree with you more. There are some other routes that also suffer from the same... and the people with children up to age 8 will take advantage of it in addition their other family members.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:48 pm

The sense I get from some comments is there is concern about abuse of these policies and inconsistent enforcement. I've seen large groups pre-board with disabled passengers or with families on OAL. I fully understand one or even two adults (certainly with small children traveling with two caretakers) boarding with a disabled passenger or small child, but an entire family/party of 4, 6, or more does not need to board with that disabled passenger or small child. I can understand families not wanting to split up, but unless they're young children, they can probably handle getting on the plane separately from everyone else.

That said, I think it's beyond clear UA needs to revisit the boarding process more broadly, especially the boarding area layout with all the lines. This changes makes the current design and process even more burdensome; GS and now families will have to fight the crowd or squeeze out some space to pre-board.

I can see allowing group X to board and then allowing pre-boarding like Southwest. I would have no issue with that so long as UA changes their policy, which lumps credit card holders with gold/silver (I don't think people who pay $95 a year for a credit card should get the same boarding level as people who meet the qualification criteria for silver and gold, especially given the PQD requirement).
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
If they are going to do this, then they should do it well in advance of when general boarding begins - so it doesn't clog up the jetway or the aisle.

I have a hard time with the concept of an airline offering me an enticement to fly their airline - in this case, early boarding so that I am assured overhead space for my carry on luggage - with pushing me back in the process so that when I get to my seat, there is no overhead stowage available.
I honestly can't believe that families with small children (those under 2 or with car seats) are going to take all of the overhead space.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725
I honestly can't believe that families with small children (those under 2 or with car seats) are going to take all of the overhead space.
Certainly not "all" the overhead space (unless it is one of the flights some above referenced to). But very likely all the overhead space over a row or 2 and if that happens to be your row it is over, then yes, The space is gone over your seat. I think this is what they were referring to.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by United757
UAInsider is not saying that all those groups board before GS, but rather they all board together...at the same time...as pre-boards. .
Not how I interpreted it...

Originally Posted by UA Insider
The new boarding process will be, in order: People with disabilities, active-duty members of the military in uniform, families with small children, and Global Services, followed by boarding groups 1-5.
Some clarity would help.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
I would want infants riding in the plane, seated in the last five rows. So board them first. However, since they now ride in first class as well as everywhere else, exempting exit rows; I do not object to when they board, or where they sit. Hopefully, their parents are schooled in caring for them. For me, I will leave the plane before departure, if the environment around my seat is not hospitable.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by United757
This is a customer friendly move to the general population, so I'm not entirely sure what the uproar here is. Plenty of airlines do this and it's not the end of the world. Traveling is exponentially harder for parents with little ones.
This - so much disdain here for traveling with young kids; getting on does actually save all of you time. If you don't believe me, you really haven't travelled with kids - much harder to board and get out everyone else's way than I think many here realize.

I am agnostic on the when (move to after GS/1K/F), but this actually is helpful (and I say this as someone no longer with small children, so I will be affected the same as everyone else).

Never had an issue with this on other airlines who, shockingly, largely have better boarding processes then UA already.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Certainly not "all" the overhead space (unless it is one of the flights some above referenced to). But very likely all the overhead space over a row or 2 and if that happens to be your row it is over, then yes, The space is gone over your seat. I think this is what they were referring to.
I think this is more of an imaginary problem.

If you're traveling with a small child and a car seat and are gate checking a stroller, you don't have the ability to carry anything more than 1 small bag per person, let alone enough suitcases to fill an overhead bin or 2.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
THIS IS A HORRIBLE MOVE, although consistent with UA valuing kettles who pay TOD's over elites. So glad I am an AA flyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.