Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is the change to early boarding for families w/children 2 or under a good move by UA?
Like the change and it will improve boarding time
9.68%
Like the change but it will not improve boarding time
9.01%
Dislike the change but it will improve boarding time
2.15%
Dislike the change and it will not improve boarding time
61.02%
Could support a different change and it will improve boarding time
3.09%
Could support a different change but it will not improve boarding time
2.96%
Neutral but it will improve boarding times
2.02%
Neutral but it will not improve boarding times
10.08%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
"Resuming pre-boarding for families with infants should provide a smoother process for everyone." - this is just plain false. I hope everybody enjoys watching the abuse, lack of enforcement, the extra time GAs have to dedicate to another boarding group, waiting for the families to get to the gate. clogged boarding ramp as all the families take their time getting settled (instead of being dispersed). UA has no clue relative to process.
I feel bad for the GA's who are going to be charged with administering this debacle.

Paid F, GS, and group 1 should board before everyone else. Including military in uniform.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
This is annoying. I've never understood the concept of catering to someone who flies once a year versus someone who flies 150 times a year.
As much as I want to be sympathetic to these families, I have to agree with you.

I'm not a fan of this. Flew British Airways recently (F, MIA-LHR) and probably 40 or so people boarded 'with children' - of all ages. F was held back (and J, obviously). Lots of irritated premium class travelers.

Originally Posted by halls120
I feel bad for the GA's who are going to be charged with administering this debacle.
Yep. More pushing / chaos in tight gate areas, too, where families are trying to squeeze around the Group 1 line. Maybe GS can grab a stroller and clear the way for the families to board?

Last edited by seanp7; Feb 1, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Agreed. Well said! From Lahaina to Makawao, Mahalo.
Well, officially Haiku, but closer to Makawao than Haiku Town - just on the wrong side of the gulch...Aloha!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold
Originally Posted by gaszlim
UA Insider, how about this:
The new boarding process will be, in order: People with disabilities, active-duty members of the military in uniform, Global Services/1K, and families with small children, followed by boarding groups 1-5.
Since the GS & 1K gets free meals in economy, it would be great to extend the early boarding to 1K too.
Ugh, please not this.
I can accept the families with small children thing, but having to board with the 1K riff-raff would be over the top.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by UA Insider
The new boarding process will be, in order: People with disabilities, active-duty members of the military in uniform, families with small children, and Global Services, followed by boarding groups 1-5.
The new boarding process will be, in order:
Group 1: People with disabilities
Group 2: Active-duty members of the military in uniform
Group 3: Families with small children
Group 4: Global Services
Group 5: Group 1
Group 6: Group 2
Group 7: Group 3
Group 8: Group 4
Group 9: Group 5

FIFY.

Last edited by mvitale; Feb 1, 2016 at 12:14 pm Reason: rm errant :
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Would it be better if they modified the WN system where passengers who need extra time have to go to the ticket counter and receive a "pre-boarding authorization sleeve"?

For example, a family with strollers and other assorted items (like car seats) that need to be tagged with a "claim at gate" tag, should have that done at the ticket counter and the agents there should hand them a document that they need to show at the gate to identify themselves as needing pre-boarding, then the GA can quickly locate them and have them board.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
This is how Delta boards, and it works. Boarding is done quickly and efficiently. 20 minutes to fully board a 763 or an A330 (or any other aircraft) can be done and is done on DL.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-priority.html

However, this same process does not seem likely to work for UA...!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I couldn't care less as long as they stop referring to early boarding as "pre-boarding".

This policy change should have never been announced on FT. They should have simply implemented it and watched to see how much time elapsed before anyone noticed.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by mvitale
The new boarding process will be, in order:
Group 1: People with disabilities
Group 2: Active-duty members of the military in uniform
Group 3: Families with small children
Group 4: Global Services
Group 5: Group 1
Group 6: Group 2
Group 7: Group 3
Group 8: Group 4
Group 9: Group 5

FIFY.
Good luck telling those Group 2 pax that get it with a credit card that they're now actually group Group 6!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
This thread isn't going to be pretty.

The simplest solution is to let First Class board after those with disabilities and before these families (and Group 1). The number of folks in First Class is capped, so you don't get the Group 1 swarm we see today. Something DL gets right...
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by kale73
I couldn't care less as long as they stop referring to early boarding as "pre-boarding".

This policy change should have never been announced on FT. They should have simply implemented it and watched to see how much time elapsed before anyone noticed.
There would have been an uproar on FT on day one. And the criticism would have been even worse because of the failure of UA Insider to at least post a heads up on FT.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Very odd that UA will board kids first when (I believe) they will not put a paid F pax in Group 1. Weird.
All passengers seated in F board with Group 1 and always have.

Originally Posted by Emirates202
Good luck telling those Group 2 pax that get it with a credit card that they're now actually group Group 6!
I find all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about this change amusing. Chase credit card customers value group 2 boarding for essentially one reason only: the ability to find space for a carry-on bag, which doesn't begin to run out until groups 4 and 5. They won't mind if a few families make it on before them.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Customers and employees pointed to the boarding process, just as many of you have, as an area where they wanted to see improvements; many shared that the boarding process for all customers would be smoother if we could accommodate families with infants earlier, as they often need more time to board.
While there are a lot of folks who think they need to get on the plane before families with young children (special ain't we ) I have watched this play out on UA and on DL/VX/AS. ^ Letting those with strollers and little kids speeds things up and is "flyer friendly" so count me as positive to this change. I'm also please to see UA do something that some spreadsheet jock probably claimed would cost UA $1.97/flight in lost "elite access" revenue.

Now, if you can just get rid of the horrible 5 rows of signs (which make UA the cattle car airline) and go back to two lanes and just calling out the numbers (perhaps throw in a red rug? ) and even perhaps the old window, middle, isle seat defining the group, things will get more back to normal.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
This has happened to me. Mother just takes all the seats in her row for her kids and you are stuck looking like the bad guy if you want to actuality sit in your assigned seat versus some middle seat a few rows back.
True, that sucks. But whether they're there before you or after, you're still going to be stuck with two of them.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
As a result, look for early boarding for families with children aged two and under beginning Monday, February 15, 2016. The new boarding process will be, in order: People with disabilities, active-duty members of the military in uniform, families with small children, and Global Services, followed by boarding groups 1-5.
I have underlined "families with small children".

Originally Posted by blueman2
I have no problem with this IF, and is SAY IF they really enforce the 2 year age limit. I see people coming on with 5-8 year olds on other airlines. Makes no sense.
Exactly, especially if the GA announces "families with small children", rather than "families with infants".

Originally Posted by Houstonflyer2139
Agree with others, this is a change for the worse. I really thought UA was stepping it up.

First thing, GS should be before the families. What's the point of boarding us first if we're gonna be stuck waiting behind families?
it makes no sense to board those who can board the quickest after those who board the slowest.
I feel bad for those in group 1 too. Making them wait longer to board.
I agree, this is a poor decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.