FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1740529-complimentary-food-beverage-global-services-1k-members-when-seated-economy.html)

perkele Nov 21, 2022 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by st530 (Post 34774805)
How does the FA know the person siting next to you is your travel partner?

sometimes it's probably evident from our behavior.

other times we may be in one another's assigned seats and i need to tell the FA looking me up in the app that the seat that my GM partner is sitting in is actually assigned to me. (e.g. if we are flying together in Y i always assign myself the seat that i less prefer so that in case only one of us clears an upgrade, and my partner takes it, i'll be left with the seat i prefer)

seanp7 Nov 21, 2022 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34775736)
How about, I see you are a 1K, would you like a complementary BOB and/or a premium drink?

Heck, even the TSA agent wished me a happy (future) birthday the other day. UA has never said a thing in 60+ flights I have flown with the carrier this year. Delta, Alaska, the complete opposite, even for their respective Silver and MVP members (lowest tier). Customer service is not a strong point for UA, that's for sure.

This is tough, because for every negative story, there's an anecdote for a positive. I had a handwritten birthday card from United in a few years back, and I'd say 50% of the time when I request a 1K snack box, they ask immediately if I want a complimentary alcoholic drink too.

YMMV (unfortunately). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Repooc17 Nov 21, 2022 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7 (Post 34776161)
This is tough, because for every negative story, there's an anecdote for a positive. I had a handwritten birthday card from United in a few years back, and I'd say 50% of the time when I request a 1K snack box, they ask immediately if I want a complimentary alcoholic drink too.

YMMV (unfortunately). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the underlying issue - inconsistency. Customer service is not a difficult thing if the company from top to bottom truly cares about ALL of its customers. Sadly, UA doesn't really care.

zombietooth Nov 21, 2022 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34776242)
That's the underlying issue - inconsistency. Customer service is not a difficult thing if the company from top to bottom truly cares about ALL of its customers. Sadly, UA doesn't really care.

Contrast UA's inconsistent treatment of their, "best customers" (Kirby's words, not mine), with the wonderful way that In-N-Out treats every customer. I've never seen a better run operation than In-N-Out in the US. Every staff member is not only competent, but friendly, hardworking and quick. There are no slackers in that organization. I feel like UA has been infiltrated by a bunch of clock-watchers during the pandemic.

HNLbasedFlyer Nov 22, 2022 11:04 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 34776329)
I've never seen a better run operation than In-N-Out in the US.

How good are the airline operations at In-N-Out?

ctownflyer Nov 22, 2022 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 34774903)
Alternatively, my status is acknowledged nearly 100% of the time - the few times I am not upgraded usually SFO-LAS LAS-SFO - I've never been given stink eye nor charged and have always encountered friendly FA's who go out of the way

Are you Mr. Pillows, the burner account of ua1flyer, or a celebrity?
Because batting 1.000 when many others are batting .000 is certainly interesting.

HNLbasedFlyer Nov 22, 2022 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 34777812)
Because batting 1.000 when many others are batting .000 is certainly interesting.

I didn't say 1.000 - regardless, I don't believe at all this "I never have been recognized" posts Simply not credible to me.

If a food order is taken - it is near 100% as they've gone out the way to seek me out. Flights without a food order is still a decent percentage but gets spottier.

I'm 100% in F long haul so that also has something to do with it - I suspect.

bocastephen Nov 22, 2022 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 34777530)
How good are the airline operations at In-N-Out?

Flight attendants are not involved in airline operations - they are involved in service quality, service delivery and adherence to brand standards. The team at pretty much any In-N-Out does all of those things with total superiority to United's cabin crew.

Repooc17 Nov 22, 2022 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 34777832)
I didn't say 1.000 - regardless, I don't believe at all this "I never have been recognized" posts Simply not credible to me.

If a food order is taken - it is near 100% as they've gone out the way to seek me out. Flights without a food order is still a decent percentage but gets spottier.

I always get x (as a GS), so anyone saying y is not credible :rolleyes:

I would invite you to come fly with me but you would have to sit with all of the peasants in the back. I have 60 plus flights with UA this year alone as my data point.

zombietooth Nov 22, 2022 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34778016)
I always get x (as a GS), so anyone saying y is not credible :rolleyes:

I would invite you to come fly with me but you would have to sit with all of the peasants in the back. I have 60 plus flights with UA this year alone as my data point.

I do believe that GS are consistently treated far better than 1Ks. As I stated above, I've mostly been in paid F this year and, as a 1K, I get recognition/order priority queries about 25% of the time up there. That is no exaggeration, it is reality. It's only this last week that I flew a bunch in Y (7 segments total) and saw how poorly the elites back there are treated.

dmurphynj Nov 22, 2022 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 34777832)

As a Lowly 1K (I bow before thee) - I'll say I get recognized as a 1K a vast majority of the time on UA Express flights, less so on mainline (but nowhere near 0%), and about 50/50 at the United Club.

I had some truly -incredible- domestic service last week EWR-LAX. I fell asleep as soon as we were wheels up, and when I woke up ~3 hours later, the FA was *on it*. She had breakfast warmed and ready, coffee ready to go, and truly couldn't do enough. To the point where I thought maybe someone made a note in my file or something. Really outstanding. Certainly was recognized that day!

zombietooth Nov 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj (Post 34778437)
As a Lowly 1K (I bow before thee) - I'll say I get recognized as a 1K a vast majority of the time on UA Express flights, less so on mainline (but nowhere near 0%), and about 50/50 at the United Club.

I had some truly -incredible- domestic service last week EWR-LAX. I fell asleep as soon as we were wheels up, and when I woke up ~3 hours later, the FA was *on it*. She had breakfast warmed and ready, coffee ready to go, and truly couldn't do enough. To the point where I thought maybe someone made a note in my file or something. Really outstanding. Certainly was recognized that day!

UAX is pretty good for recognition but I am flying 95% mainline.

dmurphynj Nov 22, 2022 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 34778457)
UAX is pretty good for recognition but I am flying 95% mainline.

Same here these days (thankfully.)

That said - given how many 1Ks I see line up at the gate here at EWR, it's pretty obvious that I'm an Absolute Nobody™ in the grand scheme of United. If they did something special for every 1K onboard, they'd have to do it for half the plane.

Kacee May 26, 2023 8:58 am

Another Awesome 1K Perk

Why even bother?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a822a93ebe.png

DELee May 26, 2023 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35280463)

Impressive isn't it that one part of UA automatically offers up pre-ordering even when sitting in Economy but the part that might actually fulfill delivering the pre-order to the flight isn't even capable of actually fulfilling pre-orders and defaults to "Out of stock" _Every_Single_Time_.

David