FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1740529-complimentary-food-beverage-global-services-1k-members-when-seated-economy.html)

PTahCha Aug 31, 2022 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K (Post 34555709)
Spec's sells mini's for $1 retail. Imagine what UA is paying at their volume and therefore what it would cost them to comp 1K or GS two drinks versus the damage it does for a HVF to get s surprise charge after they land? Shortsighted IMO.

So you're asking the FA to break company rules, when the second drink is not free?

limey1K Aug 31, 2022 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 34561956)
So you're asking the FA to break company rules, when the second drink is not free?

Not at all. I am giving my opinion as to why I feel that this may be a short-sighted policy by United when trying to keep their top tier flyers happy. I've also had plenty of experiences with FAs not following company policy (both in my favor and against).

lincolnjkc Aug 31, 2022 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34555734)
I actually don't think FAs see explicitly comp or not when they do the handheld, and they don't need to take action to make it complimentary. They just see if the 'payment' goes through (and get a prompt to thank us for our business when 1K/GS). I've had an FA ask me to verify my email for receipt, which seems unnecessary if they see there's no charge being made.

From what a FA was very excited to show me earlier this month after she verified my identity ("Mr. (butchered version of my last name)? Thank you for being a 1K...") they do see that -- at least for the food [I don't frequently drink alcohol in flight] she showed me on her LINK that she selected the snackbox and confirmed it was a $0 charge. I don't think they do anything to "flag" it as a comp, rather the system knows that its the first food item and handles the comp automatically.

The FAs see VIP passengers (GS+1K+Milestone) as highlighted seats (IIRC gold and silver colored with a star vs grey/blue for normal) on the seatmap on the LINK before they even get to the "sale" part of a transaction. You'll see particularly attentive crews looking at this during boarding.

As for the more free-pouring FAs the easiest way they can do this if so inclined is to 'charge' them to the F cabin. A few About 10-15 years ago I was flying home to visit my parents on a Christmas morning flight. As I tend to do that time of year I gave the crew working 'thank you' cards and the purser expressed appreciation by stopping by my seat every 15 minutes trying to get me to take him up on free beer/wine/liquor

fezzington Aug 31, 2022 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 34562201)
From what a FA was very excited to show me earlier this month after she verified my identity ("Mr. (butchered version of my last name)? Thank you for being a 1K...") they do see that -- at least for the food [I don't frequently drink alcohol in flight] she showed me on her LINK that she selected the snackbox and confirmed it was a $0 charge. I don't think they do anything to "flag" it as a comp, rather the system knows that its the first food item and handles the comp automatically.

Correct. The Sales App automatically discounts the first drink and first box for 1Ks. Interestingly, it seems to do the first input item so if you planned on getting say, a box and Pringles, ask for the box to be "charged" first.

The FAs see VIP passengers (GS+1K+Milestone) as highlighted seats (IIRC gold and silver colored with a star vs grey/blue for normal) on the seatmap on the LINK before they even get to the "sale" part of a transaction. You'll see particularly attentive crews looking at this during boarding.
There are a few color options depending on settings. I have GS set to black and 1K set to the 1K blue. I used to have *G and other elites as well, but that was a mosaic so I turned it off.

As for the more free-pouring FAs the easiest way they can do this if so inclined is to 'charge' them to the F cabin. A few About 10-15 years ago I was flying home to visit my parents on a Christmas morning flight. As I tend to do that time of year I gave the crew working 'thank you' cards and the purser expressed appreciation by stopping by my seat every 15 minutes trying to get me to take him up on free beer/wine/liquor
UA FAs can now comp for various reasons without the need to "charge" to the forward cabin. I know the prevailing thought on this board is that UA has gotten stingier, but the reality is that crews are given more leeway for service recovery now than when I started flying. However, we are far more cognizant of the dangers of over-serving due to recent events. We don't know if you came straight from work or spent 2 hours in the UC sipping on some of the good stuff (well... good enough anyways) before the flight.

dimramon Sep 1, 2022 10:09 am

Can you still ask for a box in first or is it YMMV?

nomad420 Sep 1, 2022 10:13 am

Got the pre order email for SFO-KOA on Saturday and I know even if you fill in the credit card info that they don't charge 1K's but when I went to order something it keeps saying I am too far out (greater than 5 days), is the site screwed up? Any one else running into issue with the pre order site?

tcdtcd Sep 1, 2022 10:23 am

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 34564002)
Can you still ask for a box in first or is it YMMV?

Yes. And never refused - or charged for.

lincolnjkc Sep 1, 2022 10:49 am

Originally Posted by tcdtcd (Post 34564051)
Yes. And never refused - or charged for.

never even questioned.
Given the current first domestic dining "options" I would probably riot if anyone pushed back.

fumje Sep 1, 2022 10:54 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 34562201)

Originally Posted by fezzington (Post 34562338)
Correct. The Sales App automatically discounts the first drink and first box for 1Ks. Interestingly, it seems to do the first input item so if you planned on getting say, a box and Pringles, ask for the box to be "charged" first.

There are a few color options depending on settings. I have GS set to black and 1K set to the 1K blue. I used to have *G and other elites as well, but that was a mosaic so I turned it off.

UA FAs can now comp for various reasons without the need to "charge" to the forward cabin. I know the prevailing thought on this board is that UA has gotten stingier, but the reality is that crews are given more leeway for service recovery now than when I started flying. However, we are far more cognizant of the dangers of over-serving due to recent events. We don't know if you came straight from work or spent 2 hours in the UC sipping on some of the good stuff (well... good enough anyways) before the flight.

Great info from both of you, thanks. :tu:

It does make me wonder then why I was asked to verify email once, as I mentioned above. I suppose that confirmation must typically show up even with the $0 charge, but most FAs just skip over it in that situation? This FA did seem to be paying close attention to all the details (look up seat, ask pax to say last name; rather than just glance tap tap go).

limey1K Sep 1, 2022 11:21 am

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 34564017)
Got the pre order email for SFO-KOA on Saturday and I know even if you fill in the credit card info that they don't charge 1K's but when I went to order something it keeps saying I am too far out (greater than 5 days), is the site screwed up? Any one else running into issue with the pre order site?

Same here.

DELee Sep 1, 2022 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K (Post 34564230)
Same here.

Wow - snackboxes for the SFO-KOA flight are really in demand by GS and 1Ks...

David

nomad420 Sep 1, 2022 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34564499)

David

LOL Yeah love that Tapas box!! All joking aside it seems the site is down for pre ordering anything and that includes my Bloody Marry....which is a must. I suspect it is also not just the KOA flight, in fact I couldn't pre order on my flight from IAH to SFO.

CMK10 Sep 6, 2022 2:19 pm

Beer and a burger (extra squished) on IAD-SAN last Friday:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...G_2129a-XL.jpg

Nothing offered, as usual I had to ask for them. Got a Takeoff box on the way home. Wish those came with knives, it's hard spreading the cheese and fig jam without them.

Weatherboy Sep 7, 2022 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34564499)

David

With UA not offering food for GS to KOA nowadays in paid F, anything is possible.

DELee Sep 7, 2022 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 34582155)
With UA not offering food for GS to KOA nowadays in paid F, anything is possible.

Unfortunately for the UA flyer, offering nothing right now appears to be guaranteed.

David