FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Complimentary Food & Beverage for Global Services & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1740529-complimentary-food-beverage-global-services-1k-members-when-seated-economy.html)

CMK10 Aug 29, 2022 12:29 pm

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Fl...MG_2001-XL.jpg

Got the burger and a cocktail on SFO-EWR yesterday. I had to ask the FA if there was buy on board. She said "oh the cart's down there. What do you want?". Not exactly top notch service.

drewguy Aug 29, 2022 1:10 pm

^ IAD-LAX last week the FA apologized in advance that they hadn't catered the bistro burger. Ended up with the cheese plate instead, which was fine - i'd had early dinner in the airport.

UA_Flyer Aug 29, 2022 1:22 pm

Can someone confirm that GS is allowed more than one alcoholic drinks or just one per flight?

I got charged in my credit card for a second drink on a transcon flight recently.

fumje Aug 29, 2022 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34555553)
Can someone confirm that GS is allowed more than one alcoholic drinks or just one per flight?

I got charged in my credit card for a second drink on a transcon flight recently.

Policy is 1 drink per flight. Some FAs comp all drinks, but I would say that is exception.

If you have old drink chits, they are usually still accepted. I just used one from 2017.

I generally do not save my credit card for onboard payment so that I don't get a charge I'm not expecting. You can do it in flight if needed.

Repooc17 Aug 29, 2022 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34555581)
I generally do not save my credit card for onboard payment so that I don't get a charge I'm not expecting. You can do it in flight if needed.

If you have a credit card on file already (for airfare purchase), UA adds it for your onboarding purchases as well. Haven't figured out a way to remove...I had been charged in the past on my first item.

fumje Aug 29, 2022 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34555647)
If you have a credit card on file already (for airfare purchase), UA adds it for your onboarding purchases as well. Haven't figured out a way to remove...I had been charged in the past on my first item.

Yes, I don't save a card to my profile at all. If you have it saved, indeed, I don't believe there's a way to remove it.

limey1K Aug 29, 2022 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34555553)

Spec's sells mini's for $1 retail. Imagine what UA is paying at their volume and therefore what it would cost them to comp 1K or GS two drinks versus the damage it does for a HVF to get s surprise charge after they land? Shortsighted IMO.

drewguy Aug 29, 2022 2:14 pm

I've had FAs verify identity when I order a drink, so reasonably sure they're marking my drink order (first) as a "complimentary". I haven't seen any surprise charges. Yet.

fumje Aug 29, 2022 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 34555720)
I've had FAs verify identity when I order a drink, so reasonably sure they're marking my drink order (first) as a "complimentary". I haven't seen any surprise charges. Yet.

I actually don't think FAs see explicitly comp or not when they do the handheld, and they don't need to take action to make it complimentary. They just see if the 'payment' goes through (and get a prompt to thank us for our business when 1K/GS). I've had an FA ask me to verify my email for receipt, which seems unnecessary if they see there's no charge being made.

dimramon Aug 30, 2022 8:11 pm

Do you now have to “preload” a credit card in the app?
I just asked for a snackbox and the FA is making a fuss because I don’t have a card preloaded in the app.
I haven’t flown in a while and they used to,just ask if you wanted the complimentary box.

fumje Aug 30, 2022 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 34559566)
I just asked for a snackbox and the FA is making a fuss because I don’t have a card preloaded in the app.
I haven’t flown in a while and they used to,just ask if you wanted the complimentary box.

Just say yes, you have a payment method loaded. They’ll tap away and hand you your comp box.

WineCountryUA Aug 30, 2022 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 34559566)

Did you check in online, because it notes you need to setup a credit card for inflight purchases.

fumje Aug 31, 2022 6:42 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34559904)
Did you check in online, because it notes you need to setup a credit card for inflight purchases.

You can skip that if you'll just be asking for the 1 complimentary item.

There's no need to have a credit card loaded to receive the benefit from the thread title.

dimramon Aug 31, 2022 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34559904)

I did check in online. I added a card during the flight and then got her attention again, since she had walked away because “she didn’t see a preloaded card and couldn’t give me a box”. I had her scan the QR code and got my box.
This just seems like a cumbersome process. I liked the old process better, vs having to show a QR code.

WineCountryUA Aug 31, 2022 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 34561913)
I did check in online. I added a card during the flight and then got her attention again, .... I liked the old process better, vs having to show a QR code.

You are set for the future, no need for the QR code next time.

As mentioned , while purchase will be successful, as an 1K the first item will be free.