Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hookthem

OMG don’t do this ever! You screwed yourself into clearing to R rather than PN. If part of the itinerary is international, just have them apply the GPU to the international segments.
And how are they supposed to clear into PN if they are not GS? And since they did not clear, their GPUs are returned anyways. Most probably they were not planning any international flights. And, in addition, if passengers apply GPUs to a reservation that has a domestic portion and an international portion, if only the domestic portion clears, the GPU gets returned.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And how are they supposed to clear into PN if they are not GS? And since they did not clear, their GPUs are returned anyways. Most probably they were not planning any international flights. And, in addition, if passengers apply GPUs to a reservation that has a domestic portion and an international portion, if only the domestic portion clears, the GPU gets returned.
YBM-ups for 1Ks are at a higher priority than (non-GS) instrument supported upgrades.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by findark
YBM-ups for 1Ks are at a higher priority than (non-GS) instrument supported upgrades.
Higher priority for sure but do they clear in PN? And your comment does not answer to the fact that on an international trip, the GPU gets returned if only the domestic portion clears.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Higher priority for sure but do they clear in PN?
Yes.

It's actually been a steady downgrade as once upon a time Y-ups cleared into JN for all elites, but YBM (for 1Ks only) still clear to PN. It's a very useful benefit, especially for partner PE fares (read: LH E) which delegate into UA M on domestic segments.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:50 pm

Yes.

It's actually been a steady downgrade as once upon a time Y-ups cleared into JN for all elites, but YBM (for 1Ks only) still clear to PN. It's a very useful benefit, especially for partner PE fares (read: LH E) which delegate into UA M on domestic segments.
Thank you! Something new I learned today.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's actually been a steady downgrade as once upon a time Y-ups cleared into JN for all elites, but YBM (for 1Ks only) still clear to PN.
While clearing into JN was nearly a guaranteed upgrade, the other part of this change is actually one of the few 1K enhancements in recent years, as it used to be that a Silver on a government YCA would clear ahead of a 1K on an instrument.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just walked by the gate at ORD for the 6:40 AM ORD-DFW A-320. 80 people on the upgrade list for 0 First Class seats.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
UA1202 BOS-EWR 06/26/18

55 on the upgrade list.

13 GS on the flight.

David
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
UA1202 BOS-EWR 06/26/18

55 on the upgrade list.

13 GS on the flight.

David
Sorry if I missed this, but how are people figuring out the number of GS on the flight?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by djmp

Sorry if I missed this, but how are people figuring out the number of GS on the flight?
I asked one of the gold scarfed GS agents.

David
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Thank you! Something new I learned today.
And once cleared into PN, you can SDC into PN as well at T-24. This makes it easy to "jump" the CPU list.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This morning's UA2377 IAH-DEN, operated by a domestic 777, has 101 people on the upgrade list. Only one of the upgrade names appears on the standby list.

-RM
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
What Purpose Does an Upgrade List of 102 People (739) Serve

I was on the early morning ORD/SFO flight this past Monday. First Class was occupied by almost all Google employees at what is rumored to be "discounted" F-fares.

As a 1K I was 35th on the list of 102 names placed on the "upgrade queue".

Hub-to-hub I would expect a higher level of F-qualified upgraders. I've never seen a list quite this long however.

Makes me feel REALLY special. . . .

Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
A Monday morning flight from major hub to major hub....I'm not quite sure what you'd expect. Sorry you don't feel special...maybe in Feb 2020 when all the current 1Ks who don't hit the new $15K spend line drop off, you'll be 15 / 102 on the upgrade list.
AugustW, Bruin1K, EGSExec and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
To answer the question - what is the purpose of an 102 person upgrade list. That is easy, if you are 35th - you know you have no chance at an upgrade and plan appropriately. You might get a buyup offer, maybe you can SDC, maybe you hang out at the bar or club longer, or worse case - get your mind accepting you are in coach, maybe eat in the airport, etc....

And of course Google and large corporations get a discount on F - but an upgrade list like that also can reinforce if you really want F on ORD-SFO, you should consider purchasing it in the future.....
n198ua, onthesam, narvik and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.