Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the longest first class upgrade standby list / waitlist that you've ever seen?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Last week, flying back from CES (LAS-SFO), I ended up #8 on the upgrade list (out of 80) as a 1K on M-fare on a GPU.

My friend who also tried to use a GPU on a B fare (on a different flight) ended up #12 .
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
Last week, flying back from CES (LAS-SFO), I ended up #8 on the upgrade list (out of 80) as a 1K on M-fare on a GPU.

My friend who also tried to use a GPU on a B fare (on a different flight) ended up #12 .
My flight to EWR-LAS flight for CES last week had 107 people on the waitlist for an upgrade. Equipment was a 739. I was #10 as a 1K on a B-fare using a RPU! I wish I didn't delete the screenshot I took.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Noting to the last several posters - if you are a 1K on an M or higher fare on a domestic flight, using an instrument does not improve your upgrade chances; in fact it may confuse the system and hurt them instead.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Noting to the last several posters - if you are a 1K on an M or higher fare on a domestic flight, using an instrument does not improve your upgrade chances; in fact it may confuse the system and hurt them instead.
Wait....WHAT? How did I not know this? Can you expound on this a bit?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Wait....WHAT? How did I not know this? Can you expound on this a bit?
1Ks on Y, B, and M fares are waitlisted for an upgrade to PN class ("complimentary instant upgrade" - different from the CPU benefit as it can clear at any time at or after booking). Because PN is higher than R, this is a superior upgrade request to any non-GS instrument upgrade, and you will be ahead of all upgrade requests except those of GS members.

Best case applying an RPU does nothing, worst case it bumps you down from 1K/M/WBPN to 1K/M/WBR, which admittedly is not going to be very far down the list since the only people you fall below would be anyone of lower fare or status being sponsored by a GS instrument.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:48 pm

1Ks on Y, B, and M fares are waitlisted for an upgrade to PN class ("complimentary instant upgrade" - different from the CPU benefit as it can clear at any time at or after booking). Because PN is higher than R, this is a superior upgrade request to any non-GS instrument upgrade, and you will be ahead of all upgrade requests except those of GS members.

Best case applying an RPU does nothing, worst case it bumps you down from 1K/M/WBPN to 1K/M/WBR, which admittedly is not going to be very far down the list since the only people you fall below would be anyone of lower fare or status being sponsored by a GS instrument.
That makes sense; never thought about it that way. Are those the only 3 fare buckets that pull seats from PN class?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
That makes sense; never thought about it that way. Are those the only 3 fare buckets that pull seats from PN class?
Yes, it's inline with the "premier instant upgrade" benefit (and so only works on CPU-eligible flights). As of the latest round of changes (which badly hit non-1Ks), other elite levels on Y and B fares can clear an Instant Upgrade into R if available, but are added to the upgrade list as CPU priority.

The only other group of fares which gets a complimentary upgrade to PN is all GS CPUs (any fare).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:56 pm

Yes, it's inline with the "premier instant upgrade" benefit (and so only works on CPU-eligible flights). As of the latest round of changes (which badly hit non-1Ks), other elite levels on Y and B fares can clear an Instant Upgrade into R if available, but are added to the upgrade list as CPU priority.

The only other group of fares which gets a complimentary upgrade to PN is all GS CPUs (any fare).
As a Continental guy who came to UA via merger, I thought those M-class instant upgrade fares on PS flights was the greatest thing ever... Row 9, baby.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 121 BCN-EWR Thursday—getaway day for Mobile World Congress—had, IIRC, 57 people on the upgrade list, and the boarding group 1 line looked like it encompassed two-thirds of the pax on this maxed-out 764. With all that in mind, I felt like having a window seat in E+ and not needing to gate-check my luggage were their own forms of cleared upgrades.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:01 pm

Thursday Night 4/26/18 at DIA made for some interesting sights

UA1613
DEN-LAX
772 HD
80 names on the upgrade list
(full flight)

UA257
DEN-SFO
772 HD
113 names on the upgrade list

incidentally UA257 DEN-SFO is currently showing as a 773 on Saturday April 28 better odd of upgrading to one of the 50 60 J class seats instead of the 28 on the 772 HD

Last edited by Aspen; Apr 26, 2018 at 9:22 pm Reason: Oops, there are 60 J seats on the 773 - even better odds of an u/g :)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-SNA, 36 names for a 320. I've seen much longer, but never died at #1 of this many before

Originally Posted by Aspen
incidentally UA257 DEN-SFO is currently showing as a 773 on Saturday April 28 better odd of upgrading to one of the 50 J class seats instead of the 28 on the 772 HD
60J on the 77W
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: UA
52 cle - ord #776. Longest ex CLE I’ve seen in a while.

Last edited by FreqFlyerCLE; Jun 11, 2018 at 6:14 am
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Yesterday's EWR-IAH on a 772 had 90. And not a single upgrade.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
Yesterday's EWR-IAH on a 772 had 90. And not a single upgrade.
Cleared upgrade display is currently broken. There's no real way to know how many upgrades there were.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by UAflyer93

OMG don’t do this ever! You screwed yourself into clearing to R rather than PN. If part of the itinerary is international, just have them apply the GPU to the international segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.