Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:07 pm

Not United (but I don't know if Lufthansa has a thread like that). I am on an award 1st class ticket DEL-FRA. We are standing in the middle, with an LH "personal assistant" assigned to us (2 pax), waiting to board. Not in a rush, it ain't flying without us.
There is a *very* long line of passengers with children and special needs, that is boarding first - to the left of us. To the right - line of business class passengers, also quite long (it's an A380), then what's left of Y.
A guy runs out of the middle of the priority boarding line, runs straight to our "personal assistant" and starts loudly complaining that "he paid for his business class ticket" and "he should board first", "why does he have to stand in line with these people". He called the Y pax a few choice names (some in local language I don't understand). One of his phrases that stuck in my mind was "I should not stand in line with those people, they work for me" - I guess he was implying that he's a boss of all those Y pax. Mind you, this guy is dragging a worn out extra size "American Standard" suitcase.
I have to give a lot of credit to the LH agent - she was polite and calm, and somehow succeeded to usher that guy to the business class line.

A few minutes later, priority boarding is done and we are moving up and getting boarding passes scanned. A lady runs behind us and wants to be let on board first. She's also waiving a business class ticket that "she paid for herself". Again she picks our "personal assistant" out of a half dozen of LH agents around. When it was explained to her that the long line to her right is all business class, just like her, she was very unhappy. "I paid for business, why should I stand in a long line".

Then there was more of the same on board, but that's for another time.

I don't know if this is Delhi or something in the water, but there was a lot of entitlement in the air that day. Sorry if offtopic, but have never seen quite so much of DYKWIA at one time.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by br2k
Not United (but I don't know if Lufthansa has a thread like that). I am on an award 1st class ticket DEL-FRA. We are standing in the middle, with an LH "personal assistant" assigned to us (2 pax), waiting to board. Not in a rush, it ain't flying without us.
There is a *very* long line of passengers with children and special needs, that is boarding first - to the left of us. To the right - line of business class passengers, also quite long (it's an A380), then what's left of Y.
A guy runs out of the middle of the priority boarding line, runs straight to our "personal assistant" and starts loudly complaining that "he paid for his business class ticket" and "he should board first", "why does he have to stand in line with these people". He called the Y pax a few choice names (some in local language I don't understand). One of his phrases that stuck in my mind was "I should not stand in line with those people, they work for me" - I guess he was implying that he's a boss of all those Y pax. Mind you, this guy is dragging a worn out extra size "American Standard" suitcase.
I have to give a lot of credit to the LH agent - she was polite and calm, and somehow succeeded to usher that guy to the business class line.

A few minutes later, priority boarding is done and we are moving up and getting boarding passes scanned. A lady runs behind us and wants to be let on board first. She's also waiving a business class ticket that "she paid for herself". Again she picks our "personal assistant" out of a half dozen of LH agents around. When it was explained to her that the long line to her right is all business class, just like her, she was very unhappy. "I paid for business, why should I stand in a long line".

Then there was more of the same on board, but that's for another time.

I don't know if this is Delhi or something in the water, but there was a lot of entitlement in the air that day. Sorry if offtopic, but have never seen quite so much of DYKWIA at one time.
Not all that uncommon for DEL or BOM. For locals it is the "herd mentality" that if you don't get to the front of the line you do not get what is being sold/given/etc. It is more self preservation than DYKWIA.

For "westerners", it is usually one of two things, IMHO. First, just wanting to get out of country and all the people (a tough place for people that are the least bit claustrophobic). Second, is the legitimate view that the J or F cabin experience should carry with it significant perks and treatment. Normally, those are folks that may have enjoyed travel 20+ years ago and have not "enjoyed" the enhancements that have come with air travel. Legitimately, paying $5-6K for a ticket SHOULD get you better treatment than me as an elite on an upgraded E ticket, but that is a discussion for another time
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Legitimately, paying $5-6K for a ticket SHOULD get you better treatment than me as an elite on an upgraded E ticket, but that is a discussion for another time
It's a discussion for another time because there are two perfectly reasonable sides to that POV and nobody will ever change each other's mind.

It's also OT for this thread, though, so I shall refrain from making a (pointless, unconvincing) argument for my position.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:30 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
Does LH have a GS equivalent? Would be interesting to see how they would have reacted to the GS being invited to pre-board!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by mr8
Does LH have a GS equivalent? Would be interesting to see how they would have reacted to the GS being invited to pre-board!
HON Circle
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Not all that uncommon for DEL or BOM. For locals it is the "herd mentality" that if you don't get to the front of the line you do not get what is being sold/given/etc. It is more self preservation than DYKWIA.

For "westerners", it is usually one of two things, IMHO. First, just wanting to get out of country and all the people (a tough place for people that are the least bit claustrophobic). Second, is the legitimate view that the J or F cabin experience should carry with it significant perks and treatment. Normally, those are folks that may have enjoyed travel 20+ years ago and have not "enjoyed" the enhancements that have come with air travel. Legitimately, paying $5-6K for a ticket SHOULD get you better treatment than me as an elite on an upgraded E ticket, but that is a discussion for another time
Think it's largely a DEL thing. Was just there last weekend. So much crowding for every line (immigration, security etc). Just flew out of BLR and it's amazing how much more civilized things are even though it's the same country (I know the BLR crowd is different than the DEL crowd but don't want to get into a discussion of Indian regionalisms)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gldwebs

Here is the nice part, after landing I swim upstream for my bag. The F pax were like offensive linemen blocking as hard but once I reached the first row of Y the passenger asked me which bag, and like a bucket brigade, that bag was politely passed 10 rows forward to me.
To paraphrase Raymond Chandler - In premium cabins on aircraft, they get the sort of people that disillusion you about what a lot of golfing money can do for the personality.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by smxflyer
Think it's largely a DEL thing. Was just there last weekend. So much crowding for every line (immigration, security etc). Just flew out of BLR and it's amazing how much more civilized things are even though it's the same country (I know the BLR crowd is different than the DEL crowd but don't want to get into a discussion of Indian regionalisms)
never seen these issues out of BLR. Have been on the BLR-FRA a few times.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Extreme Entitlement

I was patiently waiting in the line for group 1 in SFO. The agent was helping a Group 3 family (I was drinking in the Centurion during pre-boarding so my bad) . It wasn’t a big deal. A couple guys had stacked up behind me. Also not a big deal we are all gonna get on the damn plane!

So we are all shocked when a gentleman pushes us all out the way, declaring “ I am 1K!” He pushes the family at the podium out of the way and drops a snarl of crumpled boarding passes down! He needed some kinda customer service help. Outraged the guy behind me yells something at him; cuts in front of me and pushes the whole mess off on the floor and slammed his boarding pass on the scanner and pushes ahead of us all and boards the plane. All the while agent and family are just dumbfounded.

The whole scene was absurd! I mean a bunch of grown ... men acting like toddlers over who got on the airplane first. I have never before in my life been embarrassed to be flying in F 😝

I can’t find imagine what goes on in someone’s head to think they are entitled to act in such a way. Even if all this premier/elite nonsense really meant anything how did he know we weren’t all GS?

I guess I am just venting but it was disgusting. I am going to be the most humble low maintenance Platinum Elite at Marriott tonight they have ever seen!

Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:46 pm

I officially became a 1K today. I can’t wait to get to the airport tomorrow and be able to sneer in a judging way at the lower 95%!!

I had a polo shirt embroidered with DYKWIA for when I travel. Let me know if you see me, well only if you are 1K or better.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:27 am

Here’s one about a DYKWIA who is also a ICTAPFAFASIJBAJTE (I can’t tell a pilot from a flight attendant so I’ll just be a jerk to everyone). The pure ignoramusity (new word) of this kind of stuff underwhelms me. This, from my First Officer and close friend on a recent flight she was flying:

“In uniform (because pilots wear pilot uniforms) I walk on to the plane and in to the flight deck while the passengers are boarding. My captain is doing the walk around. During my preflight, a first class passenger walked up to the cockpit door:

Pax: Excuse me
Me: Yes sir, how may I help you?
Pax: What are you doing?
Me: I am doing the preflight cockpit setup. Do you need help with something?
Pax: Yes! I need my beverage but you are dilly dallying up here and not doing your job! I am tired of lazy flight attendants!
Me: Well, I am your pilot, sir. I will be flying you to KXXX today. Can you wait a minute for that drink?

He spins around and walks out.

What century are we in, again?

FAB

Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by freshairborne
Here’s one about a DYKWIA who is also a ICTAPFAFASIJBAJTE (I can’t tell a pilot from a flight attendant so I’ll just be a jerk to everyone). The pure ignoramusity (new word) of this kind of stuff underwhelms me. This, from my First Officer and close friend on a recent flight she was flying:

“In uniform (because pilots wear pilot uniforms) I walk on to the plane and in to the flight deck while the passengers are boarding. My captain is doing the walk around. During my preflight, a first class passenger walked up to the cockpit door:

Pax: Yes! I need my beverage but you are dilly dallying up here and not doing your job! I am tired of lazy flight attendants!
Me: Well, I am your pilot, sir. I will be flying you to KXXX today. Can you wait a minute for that drink?

FAB
I had to read that three times to figure it out. The word "she" finally made your point clear. Not a word I normally expect to change the entire point of the story.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:42 am
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM

FAB

Just Wow. Some folks are a super extra special kind of DYKWIA. I hope they got nothing afterwards.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

FAB

The sexist DYKWIA. A classic
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had to read that three times to figure it out. The word "she" finally made your point clear. Not a word I normally expect to change the entire point of the story.
FA friend told me in certain situations they ask the male FA to make certain announcements so pax would think it's a pilot and not question the FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.