Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
Recently at SFO waiting to pre-board, I was a few feet behind the barrier waiting for GS to be called.

Pax comes up to me and asks, "Are you a 1K?" I reply, "No." He steps right in front of me and says, "Well I am so I get to board first!"

A minute later GS was called, and I said, "Excuse me please..."
How does someone get to be 1K and NOT know there are even more privileged flyers?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
How does someone get to be 1K and NOT know there are even more privileged flyers?
I have known 1Ks that had not idea what the elite structure was, what the requirements were and no idea what GPUs were. Travel was just getting from one meeting to the next. CPUs (UDU) was created partially because those folks never understood e500s.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:18 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Her mother was probably glad to see her leave!

Seriously Gen Z is very entitled. Their parents ensured that everyone was a winner and that they got whatever they wanted. I see these kids as freshman students at university and the sense of entitlement some of these kids display is amazing. Some parents contact me (against the FERP rules for me to discuss a student with anyone) to "fix" the issue that will cause a student to fail a class. No accountability by the student. The parents of some of the Gen Z population are responsible for these entitled brats. I feel extremely sorry for that GA. Bet the mom is partying this weekend! It is the festive season.
Don't blame a generation for lousy parenting. This isn't a Gen Z problem, this is crap parent problem. If you're gonna blame a generation, blame the parents'.

Also — let's keep in mind this is a uniquely American problem. So, really, blame modern American culture.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by helvetic
Don't blame a generation for lousy parenting. This isn't a Gen Z problem, this is crap parent problem. If you're gonna blame a generation, blame the parents'.

Also — let's keep in mind this is a uniquely American problem. So, really, blame modern American culture.
I can assure you that this is is definitely not unique to the modern US culture. UK millenials are equally self centred.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:29 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by wxguy
Recently at SFO waiting to pre-board, I was a few feet behind the barrier waiting for GS to be called.

Pax comes up to me and asks, "Are you a 1K?" I reply, "No." He steps right in front of me and says, "Well I am so I get to board first!"

A minute later GS was called, and I said, "Excuse me please..."
Now that’s funny 😃
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have known 1Ks that had not idea what the elite structure was, what the requirements were and no idea what GPUs were. Travel was just getting from one meeting to the next. CPUs (UDU) was created partially because those folks never understood e500s.
This used to describe my boss. I was even giving him some of my (unused) GPU's, explaining how they worked, etc. That stopped once we found out he was a 1K.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

While I didn’t quite hear a “DYKWIA” uttered, I had a good laugh at SEA catching 419 to IAD yesterday. The agents did their usual Disabilities, Military, GS, Parents call, and then when the agent called for 1K’s to board, this woman who was about 15 people back in the Group One line, literally started shouting... “1K, 1K, Out of the way, 1K coming through" and literally was a like a bowling ball knocking down all the people in the line in front of her to push her way to the front. Rather than getting annoyed, most of the people in the group one line all laughed at her....
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I would like to coin the term shoe pearl rich...

I don't want to divulge too much information but....

I boarded early because of a knee injury and settled into 2B. I am not really paying attention to boarding and about 25 minutes in or so a lady boards and has a Louis Vuitton duffle bag and a LOT of bling. She is in 1B. The immediate overhead space is full and she asks the flight attendant to please put her bag up for her (she is perfectly able). The FA handles it well and is polite and firm and says no. The lady huffs and puffs her way back to row 4 or 5 (How I captured this picture). She then proceeds to complain to 1A loudly how this is unacceptable, blah blah blah. He puts on his headphones and she shuts up.

I slept most of the way and when we get to the gate I get up to stretch since my knee is hurting pretty badly. Shoe Pearl Rich Lady about knocks me down and tells people to move out of the way so she can get her bag.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
While I didn’t quite hear a “DYKWIA” uttered, I had a good laugh at SEA catching 419 to IAD yesterday. The agents did their usual Disabilities, Military, GS, Parents call, and then when the agent called for 1K’s to board, this woman who was about 15 people back in the Group One line, literally started shouting... “1K, 1K, Out of the way, 1K coming through" and literally was a like a bowling ball knocking down all the people in the line in front of her to push her way to the front. Rather than getting annoyed, most of the people in the group one line all laughed at her....
I think we've all met a variation of this person.
I've seen multiple GS/1K push through (of course with like 7 carryons) - some with audible grunts, some silently, but I've yet to meet a screamer
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
I don't want to divulge too much information but....

I boarded early because of a knee injury and settled into 2B. I am not really paying attention to boarding and about 25 minutes in or so a lady boards and has a Louis Vuitton duffle bag and a LOT of bling. She is in 1B. The immediate overhead space is full and she asks the flight attendant to please put her bag up for her (she is perfectly able). The FA handles it well and is polite and firm and says no. The lady huffs and puffs her way back to row 4 or 5 (How I captured this picture). She then proceeds to complain to 1A loudly how this is unacceptable, blah blah blah. He puts on his headphones and she shuts up.

I slept most of the way and when we get to the gate I get up to stretch since my knee is hurting pretty badly. Shoe Pearl Rich Lady about knocks me down and tells people to move out of the way so she can get her bag.
Those boots are eerily similar to the Nazguls' boots in LOTR!! Egads!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I'm not a huge fan of the 1K pre-board. Pre-boarding is getting a little crazy and the number of gate lice now is going up a lot, especially on some routes.

I don't know who is the DYKWIA, but I was getting ready for a flight and there are the 10-12 people milling around the check in counter. A couple has been slowly easing their way closer to the podium and the stop short right besides me. 1Ks are going to be last called. But before they are called, she starts to try to wriggle past me. I just shoot her a crusty look, that was really way over the top- the kind of look that should be reserved for genocide conspirators. And she just stops in her tracks. Actually didn't think that she would stop. Felt bad about it now, and she seemed to realize that she was being a bit pushy and felt bad about it.

Still boarded in front of her.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I'm not a huge fan of the 1K pre-board. Pre-boarding is getting a little crazy and the number of gate lice now is going up a lot, especially on some routes.

I don't know who is the DYKWIA, but I was getting ready for a flight and there are the 10-12 people milling around the check in counter. A couple has been slowly easing their way closer to the podium and the stop short right besides me. 1Ks are going to be last called. But before they are called, she starts to try to wriggle past me. I just shoot her a crusty look, that was really way over the top- the kind of look that should be reserved for genocide conspirators. And she just stops in her tracks. Actually didn't think that she would stop. Felt bad about it now, and she seemed to realize that she was being a bit pushy and felt bad about it.

I've read this a couple of times and I'm still not sure what happened. You were in line to board and someone tried to cut in front of you ?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n198ua
I've read this a couple of times and I'm still not sure what happened. You were in line to board and someone tried to cut in front of you ?
This is my problem with 1K pre-boarding. There's no line to cut into (except at NRT).

Instead, people hover somewhere near the entrance to the gate area and more-or-less wait for 1K pre-boarding to be called -- but since there's no line, it's impossible for anybody to tell the difference between other 1Ks waiting for the pre-boarding call and non-1Ks who like to stand near the gate... and so you get this mass of people all independently moving toward the gate agent like the 1K Zombie Apocalypse.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is my problem with 1K pre-boarding. There's no line to cut into (except at NRT).

Instead, people hover somewhere near the entrance to the gate area and more-or-less wait for 1K pre-boarding to be called -- but since there's no line, it's impossible for anybody to tell the difference between other 1Ks waiting for the pre-boarding call and non-1Ks who like to stand near the gate... and so you get this mass of people all independently moving toward the gate agent like the 1K Zombie Apocalypse.
PERFECT!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by PushingTin

Care to repost? This makes zero sense and hard to understand what really happened and why such a big deal "genocide"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.