Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by PushingTin
It was 10 years ago, and a lady had her 70 lb lab at her feet, middle seat. Tells the window guy to step over the dog- Oh, Heck no! We are getting ready to deplane and since it was so long ago, I inquire about if she is training a service animal. She said no, the dog is to help her with the stress of flying. The plane is completely quiet and I just say "You know what makes flying less stressful for me? Leaving my dog at home."

If you are that close to the edge on flying, you need to do something else. If you fly enough that you justify having a flying buddy dog- you really need to do something else.
Not justifying her but I'd hardly call that DYKWIA
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Although we have heard this story many times before, I still enjoy it when I see it happen live.

Yesterday DEN/SFO. GA calls for Global Services. Mid 40's semi-business lady pushes her way right up through the group 2 lane. GA stops her and says, "I'm sorry Global Services only at this time."

"I'm Global! I'M GLOBAL"

GA stood her ground and told her, "No you are Premier Silver, but you might have Global Entry through TSA, unfortunately, that does not apply to boarding on United. Global Entry applies to clearing Immigration on your return from another country. You are in group two, we board by Group Numbers, and we are currently pre-boarding Global Services, you will have to wait until your group is called."

"I'm Global, I'm Global, I bought Global from United."

Then as if on command before the GA could properly respond. "Is this the way you treat your best customers, I am going to pull ALL my business and never fly United Again!" (Or something to that affect). She did wait a least a couple of seconds for the mob to join her in protest to her shabby treatment, but retreated in shame as she realized that no one either cared or thought she was correct.

She had clearly burned the faces of the 3 or 4 of us behind her who did Pre-Board because her glare burned through my soul when she boarded.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
...GA stood her ground and told her, "No you are Premier Silver, but you might have Global Entry through TSA, unfortunately, that does not apply to boarding on United. Global Entry applies to clearing Immigration on your return from another country. You are in group two, we board by Group Numbers, and we are currently pre-boarding Global Services, you will have to wait until your group is called."...
The best part of this story. The professional way the GA handled the situation and ensured the DYKWIA did not get away with the behavior.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
This is why I like the automated boarding gates, they simply won't let you through if it isn't your turn.

(Personally, my view is if you try to board before your turn you should be sent to 'Group 6' and have to wait until everyone else has boarded.)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:32 am

Never thought about how GS and Global Entry could be confused but can see how it happens. Great agent who treated the situation with respect.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have done a bit of "clean-up" and have swept up some dog "accident incidents" discussion to Dog "incidents" in UA terminals; Slow Response Gives Paws {Consolidated]

So this thread can return the more "normal" DYKWIA reports

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:24 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw
This is why I like the automated boarding gates, they simply won't let you through if it isn't your turn.

(Personally, my view is if you try to board before your turn you should be sent to 'Group 6' and have to wait until everyone else has boarded.)
While I would like to see more automated boarding gates, it still won't solve the original problem of people and you'll get one or two angry "Global" passengers holding up one of the lines complaining that the machine is broken/defected/doesn't work...
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
GA stood her ground and told her, "No you are Premier Silver, but you might have Global Entry through TSA, unfortunately, that does not apply to boarding on United. Global Entry applies to clearing Immigration on your return from another country. You are in group two, we board by Group Numbers, and we are currently pre-boarding Global Services, you will have to wait until your group is called."
Bravo to the GA! That would have been worth the price of admission to see ...
Old May 2, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Never thought about how GS and Global Entry could be confused but can see how it happens. Great agent who treated the situation with respect.
I can see how it happens but I still think Global Services sounds like some branch or division of FedEx/DHL or HSBC.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Anytime I take the Mrs with me (typically international J or F) she confuses Global Services with Global Entry. I keep telling her that I'm a lowly 1K and both are unrelated
Old May 2, 2018, 11:11 am

Although we have heard this story many times before, I still enjoy it when I see it happen live.
Perhaps she was just confused between the two?

I wouldn't call this DYKWIA and enjoying the misery of others isn't cool (esp when she might be genuinely mistaken).
Old May 2, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by malgudi
Perhaps she was just confused between the two?

I wouldn't call this DYKWIA and enjoying the misery of others isn't cool (esp when she might be genuinely mistaken).
So I agree in some instances, however in this case the agent said that the customer was a Premier Silver which means she has flown 25,000 PQM or 30 segments in the past year (and spent $3k with UA), so she should know the boarding process by now.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Are GS assigned BG1? I have never been GS and do not know. If it does show BG1, then perhaps the Announcement should be along the lines "If you have BG1 and are GS you are welcome to pre-board at this time". This could save some of the confusion for people with GE.

As to the sentiment about the Premier Silver and whether it was a DYKWIA moment it was not the mistake, it was her response to the GA that was the DYKWIA moment (IMO).
Old May 2, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Are GS assigned BG1? I have never been GS and do not know. If it does show BG1, then perhaps the Announcement should be along the lines "If you have BG1 and are GS you are welcome to pre-board at this time". This could save some of the confusion for people with GE.
I only know about international flights where I see GS passengers boarding before BG1 is called. They usually wait on the side (not in the BG1 line) and a gate agent comes to them and asks them to board. I guess the gate agent has already identified them and asked them to stand there as in most of my flights from Asia, the gate agent goes to each passenger to check boarding groups and passports.

And some are brought from the Lounge by another agent.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
So I agree in some instances, however in this case the agent said that the customer was a Premier Silver which means she has flown 25,000 PQM or 30 segments in the past year (and spent $3k with UA), so she should know the boarding process by now.
Unless she got status through Marriott, e.g., which means she could be a UA novice who is used to some other airline's process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.