Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 12:31 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by ecosse3
Any thoughts on this?

Synopsis:
-I'm 1K
-DEL-EWR flight cancelled (on a Sunday in late Jan.) due to the blizzard
-I was in Y on GPU waitlist
-We were notified the night before so I didn't go to the airport as I wasn't sure that any UA agents would be there
-As soon as it was cancelled I called the 1K line and was re-booked on Tuesday for DEL-FRA-EWR via LH/UA. My UA upgrade cleared and I was able to use miles to confirm the upgrade on LH. Since this was roughly 3 a.m., I went back to sleep.
-Woke up a few hours later to find new etickets and a message from the local (Delhi) UA agent that the flight (the original Sunday one) had been cancelled and I had been rebooked for FRIDAY.
-Went into my record and sure enough, my Tuesday flights were gone and I was on the direct Friday flight in Y(!!!)
-Called UA. Agents were horrified that this had happened, but the Tuesday flights were gone.
-They put me on the Wednesday (11:30) p.m. flight in R
-The Wednesday flight was delayed 8 hours for pilot rest, finally departing Thursday a.m.
-Upon landing, had an email with a $350 e-cert for the delay

Now Sunday through Tuesday...I get it. It was a major storm and things happen. No problem here. However, I don't find Tuesday-Thursday acceptable. I had a confirmed reservation and it was cancelled by no fault of my own. In total-four extra hotel nights expense.

I completed the survey I received upon arrival (via email) and got no response. I sent a tweet to UA and they asked me to DM them. No response. Finally I sent an email to 1K voice with the various pieces of documentation, including the hotel bill. I only asked for 2 nights compensation (since I didn't figure I'd have a shot for the first two nights since it was weather related). I also stated politely that I did not think the $350 e-cert was sufficient.

Four days later and I've just heard back from them. They were, unfortunately, very unapologetic. Literally-no apology for my trouble. They agreed to pay just one night hotel and three meals. No offer of anything else. They also further added that it wasn't their agent that did the re-booking, but rather an automatic process done by their system. Regardless of who or what did it, it shouldn't have been done as they cancelled a valid reservation (and yes, the Tuesday flight did proceed as scheduled).

Thoughts on this? Were my expectations too high or is this pretty insufficient?
I don't think you should expect anything for the downgrade; but you do have a claim for trip delay insurance for the hotel costs—if you bought this on a card with coverage (e.g. CSP). $350 for the delay sounds about on par with what UA'd give you.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: United 1K/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by garykung
Too high.

UA does not extend its goodwill based on the extent of your inconvenience. You may have a better chance if you are confirmed in J. Other than that $350 is reasonable per UA.
I'm still having trouble justifying it in my mind. Inconvenience was the snow storm delaying me 2 nights (not the fault of UA) and UA now compensating me for 1 of the hotel nights (as per other passengers they also did for those already at the airport). And $350 seems reasonable enough for an 8 hour overnight delay.

But the ADDITIONAL two days (Tues-Thurs) which was directly caused by them (either their agent or their automated system) cancelling my perfectly good re-booked flight...that's what's paining me a bit.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ecosse3
I'm still having trouble justifying it in my mind.
I hear you. But this is not how the system works (at least not based on how you think).

Remember - any compensation you received is a goodwill gesture by UA per UA's discretion. It has no bearing whatsoever.

Many responded with your OP do agree with my assessment. Remember - no one is stopping you from asking UA for more. But please keep in mind - don't expect too much.

If you think you have a legitimate claim against UA, you can consult a lawyer.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond
My mom and sister were scheduled to fly from DAY-ORD in December while I was supposed to fly out the next day. I dropped them off a little more than an hour early but they still missed their flight because there was only one person on staff who had to check in two different flights leaving in close proximity to each other. They were re-booked and upgraded to Economy Plus for free. They even upgraded me because we told United I would joining my mom and sister the next day! (Ultimately we had to sit in normal economy seats anyways since they put us in an exit row and my sister is not 15.) They also each got $150 vouchers after leaving feedback with customer service. They honestly went way further than I thought they would; especially because it was right in the middle of the holiday rush. I've never had a bad experience with United and am always quick to jump to their defense whenever people complain about them. This further solidified that sentiment.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Compensation for 7 hour delay (EWR-ZRH)

UA134 9 Feb 2016 EWR-ZRH Returned to EWR due to MX

" Total "lost" time of more than 7 hours. What should the expected compensation be for a delay of that extent as a 1K member? Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cagcag

" Total "lost" time of more than 7 hours. What should the expected compensation be for a delay of that extent as a 1K member? Thanks
It depends on your ticket price. What fare bucket did you purchase?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:12 pm

So my wife and 15 month old got stuck in Chicago overnight due to a 4 hour mechanical delay on their first leg. They got $20 food voucher + hotel. Any further recourse? She spent another $70 on food and clothes.

Same day, I flew standby and ended up in Newark, 3 hours from my intended destination(Harrisburg). I had to be there first thing in the morning. I rented a car to get there. Do I have any recourse?

Where do I seek recourse?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

My guess: $250 sounds about right.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
So my wife and 15 month old got stuck in Chicago overnight due to a 4 hour mechanical delay on their first leg. They got $20 food voucher + hotel. Any further recourse? She spent another $70 on food and clothes.
It sounds right for UA. You may ask for more if you want to.

Same day, I flew standby and ended up in Newark, 3 hours from my intended destination(Harrisburg). I had to be there first thing in the morning. I rented a car to get there. Do I have any recourse?
No when you choose to drop the ticket on your own.

Where do I seek recourse?
Customer Care.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
It depends on your ticket price. What fare bucket did you purchase?

Award ticket.

I was offered $200 ecert or 10K miles----sound about right?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:00 am

Award ticket.

I was offered $200 ecert or 10K miles----sound about right?
Which cabin, Y or BF?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:10 am

Which cabin, Y or BF?

Y class, as a 1K
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:29 am

Y class, as a 1K
In that case, consider yourself adequately comp'd! ^
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:44 pm

In that case, consider yourself adequately comp'd! ^
Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Platinum sitting in Y (well, originally R by miles + copay, but I lost that).
EWR -> FRA cancelled due to MX - overnight in Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, then all day the following day to kill at the airport, had to sit in Y

Compensation offer: 17.5K miles or $350 cert (Took the cert)

Miles have still not redeposited from the outbound...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.