Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:59 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by mkr
Did you request compensation, or simply document your problems and 1K voice sent you the 10,000 miles without your asking for compensation?

I have read from other posts about UA having a "compensation guide". Is this guide something that is published that we on Flyertalk can read?
No request made, just wrote in to "share some bad experiences."
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
UA835 ORD-PVG was diverted to NRT due to lack of potable water and resultant refueling. (First time I'd experienced no water in the lavs, and don't know how much of a difference it really makes to get on the ground 1.5 hours sooner rather than just keep going to Shanghai). Arrived in PVG about three hours late. Compensation (as a GS) was 10000 miles or $200 e-cert. I found it odd that the NRT customer service came on board and cherry picked me (probably because of GS status?) to very quickly ask if I was traveling alone (I was) and move on...like a checklist. I wondered if this impacted compensation level or just some sort of welfare check? I had no connections that needed to be dealt with.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
$200 for myself and $175 for my wife (Gold) for inop AVOD TATL in C (FRA-EWR) via inflight voucher.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:41 pm

UA99 canceled - compensation/reimbursement options?

I just got an email saying that the Jan 13th flight for UA99 from MEL to LAX was canceled:
Your flight on Jan. 13 (UA99) from Melbourne to Los Angeles has been canceled due to aircraft maintenance.

To select an available rebooking option, use the link below or ask a United representative for assistance.

The link doesn't work for rebooking. I had to call them up and they got me on a very similar matching flight with Qantas on QF93 so it shouldn't affect my overall travel much if at all. However, I'm disappointed and annoyed that I got the notification so late and that I had to call them up myself to reschedule the flight. Most of all I wanted to fly the 787-9 dreamliner.

What are my options for requesting compensation (a free upgrade would be nice) and how would I go about asking for it? Any advice would be great, cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:47 pm

Free upgrade, for what?

Were you downgraded when being rebooked? UA was able to get you on a new flight to your destination, on what you say is a similar flight so one must assume the times are close. If you wind up traveling in the same class of service you booked (even if on a different carrier), then UA owes you nothing.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, marvinho!

Originally Posted by marvinho
What are my options for requesting compensation (a free upgrade would be nice) and how would I go about asking for it?
I don't see any grounds for compensation, and even if there was, there's no chance you would get an upgrade on a non-partner airline. Since it was a maintenance issue, I don't see how they could give you more notice. I'd be glad they didn't wait until check-in.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
However, I'm disappointed and annoyed that I got the notification so late and that I had to call them up myself to reschedule the flight.
Being told the day before isn't late - it's early.

UA99 on the 13th is cancelled, because UA98 on the 11th has been canceled which is odd given that it happened 2 hours before it was due to depart. They fact they managed to notify you and get you rebooked less than 1 hour after the outbound flight was canceled is actually pretty impressive if you ask me!

(It's currently 9:50pm in LAX, and UA98 wasn't due to depart until 10:40pm)

As far as compensation, they might offer you something (but possibly not given the early notification of the delay and the fact they were able to organize a suitable replacement flight), but at a minimum you'll be able to double-dip for miles - you'll get miles for the QF flight (posted to QF or a partner/OneWorld airlines), and then after your flight contact UA and ask for miles for your original flight and they will give them to you too.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:56 pm

The rebooking was only that quick because I saw the email when it was sent and called them up immediately.

I also specifically booked this flight to fly the 787-9 dreamliner.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Any advice would be great, cheers.
Welcome to FT. [removed by moderator]

1. UA 99 and QF 93 practically departs and arrives at the same frame. So even UA cancel the flight, you are not really impacted in term of your travel plan.

2. Aircraft type, seat assignment, etc. are never guaranteed. The obligation of the airline (UA and QF) is to transport you from MEL to LAX.

3. You did a good job in proactively rebooking yourself. But it does not mean UA fails to do its job. At the minimum, rebooking to other carrier can't be done online.

4. If you have purchased travel options with UA, you are entitled a refund. Also, unless you can show you have incurred additional expenses (like baggage fees), you have no ground for a compensation.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 12, 2016 at 6:45 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:54 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
The rebooking was only that quick because I saw the email when it was sent and called them up immediately.

I also specifically booked this flight to fly the 787-9 dreamliner.
Ask to be rebooked the next day or whenever suitable so you can fly the 787 as desired.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
UA835 ORD-PVG was diverted to NRT due to lack of potable water and resultant refueling. (First time I'd experienced no water in the lavs, and don't know how much of a difference it really makes to get on the ground 1.5 hours sooner rather than just keep going to Shanghai). Arrived in PVG about three hours late. Compensation (as a GS) was 10000 miles or $200 e-cert. I found it odd that the NRT customer service came on board and cherry picked me (probably because of GS status?) to very quickly ask if I was traveling alone (I was) and move on...like a checklist. I wondered if this impacted compensation level or just some sort of welfare check? I had no connections that needed to be dealt with.
Apparently my dad (1K) was on this flight, haven't heard from him yet on any compensation. Will update when he checks.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
What compensation should I request for the following situation? What should I expect? (no status)

Booked paid C IAD-NRT, flight ended up getting delayed (MX) for four hours. Ended up getting rebooked after de-boarding. Was rebooked in business on a significantly cheaper route that got me into my destination much later. No wifi on the different route, so I lost a significant amount of working time that I had planned.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by 100% Green
What compensation should I request for the following situation? What should I expect? (no status)

Booked paid C IAD-NRT, flight ended up getting delayed (MX) for four hours. Ended up getting rebooked after de-boarding. Was rebooked in business on a significantly cheaper route that got me into my destination much later. No wifi on the different route, so I lost a significant amount of working time that I had planned.
How were your routed (what airline and through what cities?) Did you remember to apply for ORC with UA. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
How were your routed (what airline and through what cities?) Did you remember to apply for ORC with UA. Thanks and Safe Travels
Thanks for the reply. I was rerouted IAD-PEK on Air China. I haven't applied for ORC yet, I intend to do this when I submit my request for compensation. Is there a different manner I should do this? Thank you for your advice.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 100% Green
What should I expect? (no status)
A $200-300 travel certificate would be typical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.