FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1736029-united-consolidated-compensation-thread-2016-a.html)

jiangning Jan 2, 2016 11:30 pm

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

My dad was on UA835 ORD-PVG cancelled on 1/1 due to mechanical; Departed on 1/2 after 22 hrs delay; Hotel was offered but given up since I live in Chicago, thus he was offered $21 airport concession voucher.

I went to united.com/appreciation and was prompted 10,000 miles or $200 cert. He has no status. Was this amount reasonable? Any chance to call and see if they can increase the offer?

I was once on UA199 PVG-LAX cancelled due to mechanical and scheduled on the next day in 2013. I was offered 17500 miles and I took it. So I was quite disappointed with only 10000 miles.

y2chen Jan 3, 2016 12:53 pm

My in laws were booked on that 1/2 UA835 flight, which was delayed for 9 hours. Neither has status anymore. The offer was 6250 miles or $125 ecert offer for both. They were each given a $14 concession voucher as well.

benly2 Jan 3, 2016 2:37 pm

I was on the 1/1 UA839 LAX-SYD, diverted to HNL due to medical emergency. Was booked on an award BF seat with miles, ended up on a JQ Y class between HNL-SYD for an overall ~7hr delay into Sydney (admittedly, a lot better than most others who didn't make the checkin cutoff for JQ and had an overnight stay and a delay of 13 to 22hrs).

As 1K, I received an email offer for 15,000 miles or $300 e-certs which is think is rather reasonable.

pagotto Jan 3, 2016 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by jiangning (Post 25952395)
My dad was on UA835 ORD-PVG cancelled on 1/1 due to mechanical; Departed on 1/2 after 22 hrs delay; Hotel was offered but given up since I live in Chicago, thus he was offered $21 airport concession voucher.

I went to united.com/appreciation and was prompted 10,000 miles or $200 cert. He has no status. Was this amount reasonable? Any chance to call and see if they can increase the offer?

I was once on UA199 PVG-LAX cancelled due to mechanical and scheduled on the next day in 2013. I was offered 17500 miles and I took it. So I was quite disappointed with only 10000 miles.

Interesting, I was on 947 which cancelled on 1/2 due to a mechanical on the inbound and had a 24 hour delay. Automated email came shortly after the cancellation, as a 1K was offered either $200 voucher or 10,000 miles...

Selected the voucher and curious to see it included a release from all liability. Pretty sure the EU261 brochure they handed me at the ticket counter explicitly stated that the EU261 compensation was separate from anything else.

garykung Jan 4, 2016 6:26 am

Originally Posted by pagotto (Post 25955377)
Interesting, I was on 947 which cancelled on 1/2 due to a mechanical on the inbound and had a 24 hour delay. Automated email came shortly after the cancellation, as a 1K was offered either $200 voucher or 10,000 miles...

Selected the voucher and curious to see it included a release from all liability. Pretty sure the EU261 brochure they handed me at the ticket counter explicitly stated that the EU261 compensation was separate from anything else.

IANAL.

EC261 is a statutory compensation. Any waiver/release can be seen as a measure to go against public policy.

I would rather push for the EC261 compensation instead of the ecert. But I am sure that UA will let you have both.

mclymerne Jan 4, 2016 1:24 pm

Mine is a question-- my wife voluntarily bumped and received an $800 voucher to delay leaving from St. Louis to Lincoln, NE, which seems like a ridiculous amount to arrive the same day but she took it. It was Dec. 31 so they must have been desperate for volunteers. Anyway, her flight from StL ended up being delayed and she missed her connecting flight at ORD. They ended up flying her to Omaha instead of Lincoln and it was about 90 minutes late. Do you think I should try for compensation since we had to drive an extra hour both ways to pick her up and get home late, even though she had already been compensated for her voluntary bump?

bmr12 Jan 4, 2016 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mclymerne (Post 25960675)
Do you think I should try for compensation since we had to drive an extra hour both ways to pick her up and get home late, even though she had already been compensated for her voluntary bump?

Can't hurt to ask as the bump is a separate transaction from the rebooked flights on which she ended up. However, you'll likely only get something if the delay (from the rebooked itinerary) was 3-4 hours (including the delay to drive from OMA to LNK). You can't count the delay from the original itinerary.

fragment54 Jan 4, 2016 6:02 pm

Got a $150 ecert for a mechanically caused ~16 hour overnight delay, and had to write in to customer service to receive that. Also got 2x $7 meal vouchers and a hotel. Really thought an overnight mechanical would work out to more than $150, but apparently not.

garykung Jan 5, 2016 1:00 am

Originally Posted by mclymerne (Post 25960675)
Do you think I should try for compensation since we had to drive an extra hour both ways to pick her up and get home late, even though she had already been compensated for her voluntary bump?

No one will stop you from asking.

But IMHO, it is a bad idea. The VDB compensation (in any amounts) is to compensate any delays and inconveniences caused as a result of being a volunteer. You can't really blame UA for any further delay, because it is foreseeable that VDB can easily result further delay and the ETC should cover it.

In fact, many VDBed pax are rebooked to alternative airports when available.

zerovector Jan 5, 2016 2:30 pm

IAH - LHR on 1/1. About 30 seats in economy had no in flight entertainment. We were lucky enough to be in a row missing all 3. :td:

Flight attendants handed out united.com/inflightresponse cards. Offer was $100 e-cert or 5k miles when we went online. None of us have United status.

jiangning Jan 6, 2016 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by y2chen (Post 25954854)
My in laws were booked on that 1/2 UA835 flight, which was delayed for 9 hours. Neither has status anymore. The offer was 6250 miles or $125 ecert offer for both. They were each given a $14 concession voucher as well.

LOL, we saw 835 was delayed on 1/2 and guessed the compensation amount might be 6250 miles. Bingo!

mkr Jan 7, 2016 11:31 pm

What amounts of Customer Care compensation does 1K voice give?

I recently sent an email to 1K Voice to document a problem and make a suggestion to send on to the appropriate UA department to improve operations for the future. I did not request any compensation, I just wanted to try to improve procedures.

I got a response within 24 hrs. and they also gave me Customer care compensation of 6250 miles.

Is there some kind of standard amount UA Customer care hands out?

Did they give me this because I was a 1K, or would they have done this for others as a standard?

Do they also have discretion to hand out e-certs?

If so, is there some kind of standard amount for the e-certs?

Could I call them back, thank them for the miles, but request an e-cert instead? I have more use for an e-cert than the miles. I can get 8250 miles for 3 $25 car rentals with Hertz, so I would rather have an e-cert than the 6250 miles.

How does UA value these Customer Care compensation miles?

helvetic Jan 8, 2016 12:20 am

Originally Posted by mkr (Post 25982233)
I recently sent an email to 1K Voice to document a problem and make a suggestion to send on to the appropriate UA department to improve operations for the future. I did not request any compensation, I just wanted to try to improve procedures.

I got a response within 24 hrs. and they also gave me Customer care compensation of 6250 miles.

Did they give me this because I was a 1K, or would they have done this for others as a standard?

Could I call them back, thank them for the miles, but request an e-cert instead? I have more use for an e-cert than the miles. I can get 8250 miles for 3 $25 car rentals with Hertz, so I would rather have an e-cert than the 6250 miles.

I got 10k miles for a complaint about a trifecta of 1. broken IFE remote, 2. expired yogurt served and 3. late bag at carousel

mkr Jan 8, 2016 12:32 am

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 25982358)
I got 10k miles for a complaint about a trifecta of 1. broken IFE remote, 2. expired yogurt served and 3. late bag at carousel

Did you request compensation, or simply document your problems and 1K voice sent you the 10,000 miles without your asking for compensation?

I have read from other posts about UA having a "compensation guide". Is this guide something that is published that we on Flyertalk can read?

Flying Machine Jan 8, 2016 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mkr (Post 25982233)

From my experience, UA values these at .02 a mile. If you would write n and suggest that a $ amount would serve you better, they will probably exchange the 6250 miles of a $125 ecert. Let us know if it works out for you.. Safe Travels