Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Kona- DEN return to airport

UA 1731 4/4

20-30 minutes after take off, told they were running checklists for overheated engine and had to return to check the engine, as soon as we landed I called premier line and got on KOA-LAX that was boarding, connecting to LAX-EWR downgraded to economy, I was in P class. 1731 is cancelled before KOA-LAX leaves, this flight is delayed 30 minutes waiting for customers to get through long TSA line in Kona of all places.

As we land in LAX there are 2 seats available in First/Business First LAX-EWR
go to the customer service center in terminal 8 as flight is already boarding in terminal 7 and want to get the seats asap. Agent who seems disinterested tells me that while they show available they are not in inventory so she can't "sell" them. a minute later they are gone.

What compensation can I expect for the cancelled flight(after a ride around the islands) and for the downgrade and what is the best avenue to get this done?

The flight attendants on the LAX flight and the gate agent on the EWR flight had both heard about this flight and wondered aloud why didnt we divert to Honolulu with better maintenance facilities and better options for customers to be accomadated, I wondered this as well.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Noanker1
The flight attendants on the LAX flight and the gate agent on the EWR flight had both heard about this flight and wondered aloud why didnt we divert to Honolulu with better maintenance facilities and better options for customers to be accomadated, I wondered this as well.
I am not inclined to question the judgment of of the pilot-in-command as where and how soon an aircraft over the ocean with an overheating engine needs to be put down.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I am not inclined to question the judgment of of the pilot-in-command as where and how soon an aircraft over the ocean with an overheating engine needs to be put down.
I wouldn't question the pilots either. It's not like HNL is exactly close to KOA.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

^

As far as compensation, you made your choice to get home sooner rather than wait for available F seats the whole way. You may get some miles.

Glad the plane made it safely back to KOA.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:10 pm

Not questioning the pilots at all, they did an excellent job, as they mentioned, they were talking to the company, I thought the company would request HNL and for all I know they did. We did fly for around an hour is why I thought we may go to HNL.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...The flight attendants on the LAX flight and the gate agent on the EWR flight had both heard about this flight and wondered aloud why didnt we divert to Honolulu with better maintenance facilities and better options for customers to be accomadated, I wondered this as well.
Pilots and operations staff don't poll FAs, GAs, and passengers for their preferred options regarding where/why to land due to engine malfunctions. If you look at a map, HNL isn't between Kona and LAX. Luckily, they opted for KOA and not ITO.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Pilots and operations staff don't poll FAs, GAs, and passengers for their preferred options regarding where/why to land due to engine malfunctions. If you look at a map, HNL isn't between Kona and LAX. Luckily, they opted for KOA and not ITO.

Yes it worked out for me as the LAX flight was boarding at the time and I was able to get on it. We all know that they divert planes for operational reasons as long as it is safe to fly and that's where the question comes from, obviously the most important part is that they got us on the ground safely and for that I am very grateful. As for whether this was the safest option I wouldn't in any way question the pilots. And the fact that they downplayed the severity of the issue may owe to their professionalism and keeping cool in a serious situation.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jsk1973
As much as I hate replying to comments from 3 months ago, I really disagree with the reply above. It seems absurd to say that VDB compensation not only covers the specific flight/transaction in question but any further inconvenience that occurs. In this case, the woman volunteered her seat in exchange for $800 and a later flight to her original destination. The additional inconvenience — being flown to a different city — should result in additional compensation, without question.
The further delay was consequential from the VDB. OP's wife needed not to volunteer at the first place. When she agreed to take the VDB, she was aware of the fact that she would be delayed. The $800 ETC was the compromise in exchange for her to relinquish the seat and be delayed, as well as other unknowns.

Remember - although unlikely, UA does not require pax to relinquish the ETC if they are first VDBed but arrived earlier than original flight.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Curious to know. Does Compensation for Appreciation Certificates change due to other factors than status. For Example: Domestic vs International and for what ever button you select for the issue at hand.
Does not seem so.

What compensation can I expect for the cancelled flight(after a ride around the islands) and for the downgrade and what is the best avenue to get this done?
Nothing much for the cancellation, given you are only a Premier Platinum. It should be around $150-200.

For the downgrade, you will get the fare difference back. But I don't think you are eligible for downgrade compensation as you are not actually downgraded (as you are rebooked to a lower fare due to IRROPS).

Diverting to HNL (or other airports) will make things more complicated. Returning to the origin has the least question.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
The further delay was consequential from the VDB. OP's wife needed not to volunteer at the first place. When she agreed to take the VDB, she was aware of the fact that she would be delayed. The $800 ETC was the compromise in exchange for her to relinquish the seat and be delayed, as well as other unknowns.
The further delay wasn't remotely a consequence of the VDB. By your logic, if this woman arrived home six days later, she would still be owed nothing more, since she did the airline a favor by volunteering. Absurd.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
By your logic, if this woman arrived home six days later, she would still be owed nothing more, since she did the airline a favor by volunteering.
Except for the required lodging and meals expenses, yes.

The key of VDB - a trade off.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Except for the required lodging and meals expenses, yes.

The key of VDB - a trade off.
The woman made a deal and the airline changed it after the fact, both in terms of the new flight being delayed and by rerouting her to a different city. The idea that all of those subsequent inconveniences were rolled into the initial VDB comp is beyond silly.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The woman made a deal and the airline changed it after the fact, both in terms of the new flight being delayed and by rerouting her to a different city. The idea that all of those subsequent inconveniences were rolled into the initial VDB comp is beyond silly.
I think one of the major issue you overlook is - if OP's wife did not take the VDB, the delay in question would not exist.

Also - GAs rarely re-route pax to different airports unless explicitly discussed and approval by the pax.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:43 pm
Suspended

I think one of the major issue you overlook is - if OP's wife did not take the VDB, the delay in question would not exist.
So she should get punished for volunteering rather than being IDB'd or having someone else be IDB'd?

By this logic, if her bags were lost on the subsequent flight, she'd be owed nothing, since her bags wouldn't have been on that flight if she hadn't volunteered.

Also - GAs rarely re-route pax to different airports unless explicitly discussed and approval by the pax.
Right, but it sounds like the person's choice was to be flown to a different destination an hour from home or wait 8-plus hours for a flight the next day, after hers was canceled. Since the canceled flight apparently wasn't due to weather, the airline would have been responsible for a hotel, ground transportation, meals, etc., all of which are cash out of pocket for the airline. A $100 or $150 voucher for the rerouting inconvenience not only seems fair but it would almost assuredly save them money.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:51 pm

Nothing much for the cancellation, given you are only a Premier Platinum. It should be around $150-200.

For the downgrade, you will get the fare difference back. But I don't think you are eligible for downgrade compensation as you are not actually downgraded (as you are rebooked to a lower fare due to IRROPS).
Fortunately I did a little better than that, $350 or 17.5k miles and
difference in fare and miles I would have earned in first.
I took the $350 and am pleased with the outcome.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So she should get punished for volunteering rather than being IDB'd or having someone else be IDB'd?
It is not a punishment. It is a matter of luck.

No one, even UA or OP's wife, can foresee further delay.

By this logic, if her bags were lost on the subsequent flight, she'd be owed nothing, since her bags wouldn't have been on that flight if she hadn't volunteered.
You over-read the logic.

1. Unless positive match is required (such as international travel), GAs tend not to offload the checked baggage of a DBed pax.

2. The premise of DB is delay. Everything else is still not affected.

A $100 or $150 voucher for the rerouting inconvenience not only seems fair but it would almost assuredly save them money.
Not in this case.

It was OP's wife's choice to choose an alternative airport, which the GA exercised discretion to rebook.

Beside - in UA's standpoint, the cause of the rerouting is more important than the actual inconvenience.

Fortunately I did a little better than that, $350 or 17.5k miles and
difference in fare and miles I would have earned in first.
I took the $350 and am pleased with the outcome.
Good for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.