Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
18k miles or $300 voucher.
Strange ratio...usually it's in the 1 mile = $0.02 ratio...for example, 3750 miles or $75, 5000 miles or $100, 7500 miles or $150, etc.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:29 pm

Thoughts? I reached out to "Customer Appreciation" and was sent a $200 voucher (no miles offered) for a ~23 hour delay to my trip where I was routed to a different airport in Japan. No status with United.

The actual flight was from a southwest city -> LAX -> YVR -> HND. The LAX-YVR flight was delayed two hours due to a mechanical issue so I wouldn't have made the connection. I stood in line at customer service twice, one time was rebuffed and the second time successful at getting rerouted. I was sent from LAX -> ORD (surprise, this flight was 1.5 hours late, as well!) and then went from ORD -> NRT the following morning. Landed at the more inconvenient airport, 23 hours behind schedule. They did stick me in "premium" economy, but that was on an aging 747 with no screens, no USB or power, no modern conveniences, and the previous occupant's crumbs all over the seat and in the seat pocket - vs. ANA economy on the YVR flight, which is basically the same legroom but much, much nicer.

Adding another measure of frustration, after the LAX customer service associate promised me a voucher would be issued at ORD the idiot working the counter there refused and stonewalled me for 20 minutes (this is 10 PM, mind you) when I asked for hotel/meal vouchers because I was rerouted due to the "weather." Yes, the horrible winter weather that Southern California is known for. So for what it's worth, there is apparently no communication between CSRs (no this is not the credit card). I consider myself lucky, the other souls on the same route accepted flights to China/Korea/Taiwan that had them arriving 36-40 hours behind schedule and spending 8-10 hours at those respective airports.

Last edited by mad cow disease; Jan 3, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:07 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Strange ratio...usually it's in the 1 mile = $0.02 ratio...for example, 3750 miles or $75, 5000 miles or $100, 7500 miles or $150, etc.
Maybe it was a typo (whether agent or OP)… 5 and 8 are contiguous on a num-pad.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mad cow disease
Adding another measure of frustration, after the LAX customer service associate promised me a voucher would be issued at ORD the idiot working the counter there refused and stonewalled me for 20 minutes (this is 10 PM, mind you) when I asked for hotel/meal vouchers because I was rerouted due to the "weather."
The ORD CSRs seem to be particularly obstinate and quick to blame everything on "Weather". The only luck I've had consistently is to request a supervisor -- they'll grab some random employee nearby who will parrot the same excuse without even pretending to look at it -- then request that person's supervisor (be prepared to wait), and you'll get someone who actually listens/looks at the PNR/investigates/etc.

I misconnected in ORD because we were ~:30 early to the gate, but the previous AC was still loading luggage. Once that aircraft moved out of the way, there was no one to operate the jetway. Once a jetway operator was found we were :30 late, I sprinted from B22 to F21 (or somewhere in those neighborhoods), and got to the gate just as the CSR slammed the door.

At the CSC, first CSR claimed it was weather, so UA wasn't obligated to do anything. When I pointed out the AC was early and there was no jetway operator, CSR responded that the flight was early "due to weather" and UA doesn't control jetways, the FAA does so it's an "air traffic control" issue out of their hands/UA had no culpability. CSR "supervisor" repeated the same thing. Actual supervisor, called the gate "Oh, you didn't have a jetway operator for xxxx? Ok, thanks." and made things as right as she could.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
Maybe it was a typo (whether agent or OP)… 5 and 8 are contiguous on a num-pad.
No typo-- I thought it was a little odd as well. So I took the 18k and it posted to my account the next day as Customer Care Compensation.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:36 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As 2017 is now upon us, its time for a new 2017 Compensation thread which can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2017-a.html

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.