Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
EWR-SFO
G fare
Non-working AVOD (they rebooted it and still the cursor on the screen never matched with the touch) and internet worked less than 50% of the flight.
$200 travel voucher.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
SFO-CDG
V -> R (GPU)
Wifi wouldn't show the landing page, so couldn't purchase access to connect.
Wrote it in so they could fix it for future flights.

$300 voucher
Old Dec 15, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Suggestions please.
My tale of woe starts with ORD to MNL via NRT. (1K mm'er) Paid biz in one of those never to up graded Polaris 747's, we enjoyed a 3 hour delay due load and balance (cough - bullship) missed NRT MNL connection. UA rebooked us on PR. But we had to make a dash to HND to catch the flight. After checking my account before departing MNL I find the PR flight doesn't accumulate anything other than a new carrier. One would think I would hear from directly from CS but after three days nada. I have emailed the CS desk and have recieved the same.
My current thought is to wait until I return on Monday and have a few words with the 1K desk or hit the Polaris lounge CS.
ETA: as I pressed send my response from UA popped in. It promises an ETC for an unspecified amount in five business days.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Dec 15, 2016 at 3:00 pm Reason: Update
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Call MP and ask for ORC:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-merged.html
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
SFO-CDG
V -> R (GPU)
Wifi wouldn't show the landing page, so couldn't purchase access to connect.
Wrote it in so they could fix it for future flights.

$300 voucher
That is insane when people are getting less for 8+ hour delays. WTH?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
That is insane when people are getting less for 8+ hour delays. WTH?
I would agree. I was shocked when I saw that, especially since I wasn't complaining that hard. Just wanted it fixed.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
$200 or 10k points

Just interested in different views here, I had a long delay on my Friday flight from BOS to SFO and was offered compensation of $200 or 10k points. I took the money cause 10k points seems less valuable (e.g. UC membership is $450 per year or 60k points), was wondering if that's the consensus. Thoughts?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is all up to you.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I value UA at 1.4-1.5cpm, so I think you made the right choice.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It's a more interesting question now that RDM's are based on spend. If you got 11x the RDM on $200, it's only 2,200 vs. the 10k offered. So to earn from flying, you'd need to pay around $900. Yet, the redemption value of 10k miles might only be $100-150.

I always have more miles than I can use, so I take the cash every time. But there's a case to be made for taking the miles if you were saving for an upcoming award ticket.

Much different comparison in the past when RDM's were based on miles flown so they could be acquired cheaply.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
If you fly short, expensive routes the 10k may be the better deal. For example, DEN-MAF (Midland, TX) is typically >$350 OW, but can be had for 10k in many cases.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Personally I always go for the money instead of points (or a free round-trip ticket) as I find the money helps defray costs of buying a PQM and PQD earning flight.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs
Thoughts?
In the PQD world, I take the e-cert.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to take the miles for smaller problems since you can't use these $50, $100, $150 certificates together and with my uncertain travel plans, can't really pay for non-changeable weekend trips.

For bigger problems, I take the certificate which I can use for my official overseas vacation trips that don't get changed because of work.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Given the low RDM earnings on discounted fares, 10K is worth a lot more than even a $400 fare (cut in half with the $ voucher) for a 1K, let alone a lower-ranking elite. It's also cheaper than one can purchase RDMs for unless one lucks into a huge bonus. I'd take the miles over the $s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.