Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few cases like IDB and some others, UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but in some cases may provide a goodwill gesture.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

If you have been told inflight to go to this site or received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card, go to the Customer Appreciation website first before contacting Customer Care.

In some cases you may received a direct e-mail, from the Proactive Recovery Operations Team, making a compensation/goodwill offer with a link to accept.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference, depending how you use the miles/ETCs.

For those booking international premium cabins, miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm. Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card.

ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY. An ETC might have greater value for many domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your concerns may fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

Please note - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not usually handle your complaint unless your complaint involves in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

9. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?

10. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Flight on Saturday the audio jack not working properly. Emailed on Sunday. Monday got answer of 2500 miles will be deposited. Tuesday they were in the account. I'm silver.

Hiusband emailed on Sunday. Got response they received. Haven't heard anything since. No status.
He finally got a response Sunday that miles would be posted to his account.

Today 2,500 added to his account.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Inedible pasta 11/24 in GF, CDG-EWR. 10,000 miles promised and posted within 24 hours.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA 1MM (Back to GLD for now)
Wife was on UA 892 ICN-SFO on 10/22, cancelled (mech) after 5 hours onboard with a cookie and one water bottle.
Got her on a Asiana-operated codeshare the following day. Hotel comped.

Today got email with $125 travel credit.

Seems kind of light to me, but I have very limited UA experience and she has no status with UA.

Opinions?

-Plat
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Wife and I flying in first in 757. My VOD didn't work at all. Wife's video worked but audio was barely audible. I sent a single email about both issues to 1k voice and got two $175 e-certs in return.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Wife and I flying in first in 757. My VOD didn't work at all. Wife's video worked but audio was barely audible. I sent a single email about both issues to 1k voice and got two $175 e-certs in return.
I guess that audio problem isn't just in economy plus. We had to physically hold the cord in place in the jack to hear.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PlatAAagain
Wife was on UA 892 ICN-SFO on 10/22, cancelled (mech) after 5 hours onboard with a cookie and one water bottle.
Got her on a Asiana-operated codeshare the following day. Hotel comped.

Today got email with $125 travel credit.

Seems kind of light to me, but I have very limited UA experience and she has no status with UA.
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Bizarre, isn't it? An overnight delay warrants $125, and non-functioning video $175.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
^
Agreed but it was actually $175 x 2 so even worse!
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i was booked in D class on a flight from ORD to NRT on 11/12, and upgraded to global first.

a dead battery on an exit sign on the upper deck caused a 2 hour flight delay, which in turn caused me to misconnect in tokyo on my 5:30 pm ANA flight to MNL on 11/13. (found out later that the ANA flight was also delayed and i could have made it, but that’s another story.)

they booked me on a 1:30 AM philippine airlines departure from HND and gave me a bus ticket for the 90 minute ride.

when we (there were several of us in paid business class who were affected, as well as fifteen or twenty in economy, some of whom were put on an alternate earlier flight on a one class discount carrier) arrived at HND at around 8:30 pm, the ticket counter was closed and would not open until two hours later, so we couldn’t go airside or use the lounge until closer to departure time.

the flight departed and arrived on time in MNL, eight hours after our scheduled arrival on ANA.

there was no proactive recovery (it was, after all, just a 2 hour delay according to united), but i filled out a web form and requested original routing credit and compensation commensurate with the delay.

received an apology, 15,000 miles and ORC for the ANA flight.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Bizarre, isn't it? An overnight delay warrants $125, and non-functioning video $175.
Also non-functioing wi-fi yields $200.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by kb1992
Unless you're me. Not sure quite what I did wrong, maybe I was too polite when complaining.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:23 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kb1992
This would be a money making enterprise for me if it were consistent. I got some miles thrown at me the first few times, now I just ask for a refund and they barely apologize.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:01 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
A minor issue to a 1K warrants more than a issue to a non-status non-regular customer. It kind of makes sense, actually, from a business perspective.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, BA Blue, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO28L
Broken BF seat on SFO-EWR 12,500 miles from customer care.
Similar here: IAH-LHR 2-class B772 BusinessFirst seat stuck in upright position: I telephoned 1K Reservations who gave me $250 TCV without referring to Customer Care
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: United 1K
ALERT-Real Scoop on compensation

It all matters on your status. IK gets $350 max and up to 10,000 miles and sometimes 15K max for Biz and first. On the other spectrum no status is $150 max and a lot of times $75. In the past I got two extra GPU upgrades and $500 or 20K miles. Compensation is paltry and a joke now. I had a problem on all 11 flights I took this year and one time they cancelled 4 flights in a row and it took 24 hours later to get to Europe after #5 I insisted a change to Lufthansa. Got $350 and 10K miles after calling and getting upset. In Europe a Euro airlines must pay $650 for just a three hour delay for all classes. If you are not a GS or 1K it is rare to get anything more these days.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mean_street_dude
It all matters on your status. IK gets $350 max and up to 10,000 miles and sometimes 15K max for Biz and first. On the other spectrum no status is $150 max and a lot of times $75. In the past I got two extra GPU upgrades and $500 or 20K miles. Compensation is paltry and a joke now. I had a problem on all 11 flights I took this year and one time they cancelled 4 flights in a row and it took 24 hours later to get to Europe after #5 I insisted a change to Lufthansa. Got $350 and 10K miles after calling and getting upset. In Europe a Euro airlines must pay $650 for just a three hour delay for all classes. If you are not a GS or 1K it is rare to get anything more these days.
I got $400 ETC and 7500 miles for cancellation of a flight and wifi problem for a trip to China. My son was on the same PNR (general member) and got the same amounts. UA has not consistent on compensating the same amounts for my family members when we travelled together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.