Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for 1K (over Plat)? [2016 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Major differences between 1K and Plat
1Ks
  • Earning initially 2 additional RPUs and 6 GPUs (can earn more)
  • Priority for premium cabin meal choices
  • Free drink and food item if in economy on North American flights
  • Higher waitlist priority for upgrades, ....
  • Waitlisting for Instant Upgrades if on Y/B/M fares (for CPU eligible flights) and clears into PN
  • No close in 60 day change fees for awards
  • Higher earning rate for RDMs (11 vs 9)
Plat
  • Potential credit card waiver of PQD requirement
A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart
Previous thread(s)
is 1k-status really worth all that more than platinum?
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

I'll have 100k miles this year, but probably wont have the PQD. I'm currently 1k, and would like to keep it.

How bad is platinum compared to 1k - do you ever get upgrades?

Any ideas on how to keep 1k without spending the difference?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Depends on what routes you fly, don't expect any from SFO at platinum
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
>>> Any ideas on how to keep 1k without spending the difference?

Not a one. I guess "move outside the US" probably works. But I'm guessing that's not a good option.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Buy a business ticket to an exotic location and use miles to purchase the same ticket for wife. You will get the 12K PQD in no time. Good luck.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Buy a business ticket to an exotic location and use miles to purchase the same ticket for wife.
FlyerTalk - one of the only places where people are so completely free with other people's money.

Other than GPU and RPU, pretty much all the benefits I value the most are the same at 1K and Platinum. Even Gold hasn't been too bad since I dropped to that level.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jasonp622
Depends on what routes you fly, don't expect any from SFO at platinum
Got upgraded a few times last year when still a Plat (late night arrival at DFW). Maybe a little less than the year before as 1K overall.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Other than GPU and RPU, pretty much all the benefits I value the most are the same at 1K and Platinum. Even Gold hasn't been too bad since I dropped to that level.
I'll be joining you next year

Except for upgrading my brother on his annual flights to Maui and my one and only trip there, I don't value RPUs much.

And GPUs aren't as valuable as they used to be due to a variety of reasons. My Plat year last year I used Ca$h and miles on lower fares, and didn't pay much more than W fares @:-)

And YTD flew more AA than UA
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
FlyerTalk - one of the only places where people are so completely free with other people's money.
Wasn't he saying a paid-J ticket would push PQDs over 12k?

I'm clearly in the minority here on FT, but I've had great success with both RPUs and GPUs the last 12 months which has made 1K great for me.

4/4 on RPUs, with 2 cleared for my parents on ORD-MBJ and 2 for me RT ORD-SFO.
2/2 on GPUs, LH J->F on FRA-ORD to experience FCT and J->F last week ORD-NRT to experience GF before it disappears for good.

All 4 RPUs were initially wait listed, but I monitored the inventory closely and called 1K when R showed up.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by domzals1
All 4 RPUs were initially wait listed, but I monitored the inventory closely and called 1K when R showed up.
This may be off-thread, but I thought you couldn't do that? I was told that once the RPU is requested and waitlisted, it can't be instantly confirmed over the phone even if R space opens.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I was told that once the RPU is requested and waitlisted, it can't be instantly confirmed over the phone even if R space opens.
You were, likely, told that by a MOLA who wanted to get you off the phone without having to do much work.
They were wrong.

Dave
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Buy a business ticket to an exotic location and use miles to purchase the same ticket for wife. You will get the 12K PQD in no time. Good luck.
It seems to be no-brainer, but keep in mind that if you overpay your BF ticket, you are actually paying more to UA then you have to:

If two W fares are $3000 in total, even if the BF costs $3000, it is still more expensive. That 140k RDMs are worth $2k-$10k depending on how one uses it.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
This may be off-thread, but I thought you couldn't do that? I was told that once the RPU is requested and waitlisted, it can't be instantly confirmed over the phone even if R space opens.
Officially no.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
1K are rumored to be getting benefits that GS members only had access too in the past. To the op who thinks people who pay more for status are chumps, I guess everyone has their own opinion . People spend money on all sorts of things.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
You were, likely, told that by a MOLA who wanted to get you off the phone without having to do much work.
They were wrong.

Dave
Yep, HUACA, done it as recently as March. There are extensive threads about 'leapfrogging' the waitlist for CPU/RPUs, arguing if it's allowed / how it's going away, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jfk747
1K are rumored to be getting benefits that GS members only had access too in the past. To the op who thinks people who pay more for status are chumps, I guess everyone has their own opinion . People spend money on all sorts of things.
Any further details on this? Haven't experienced any additional benefits myself.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Rumored to go into effect next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.