Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tier above Global Services - Chairman's Circle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier above Global Services - Chairman's Circle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pinniped
The non-revenue sports probably fly commercial. That said, that's a ton of tickets and could easily be a couple million dollars when you add it all up. Out of Houston, it's probably on United.

I've been on lots of flights with Division I volleyball, baseball, wrestling, soccer, etc. teams. From big-budget (Power 5) programs as well as smaller ones. I'm fairly certain most schools try to send those teams commercial when it's feasible.
All teams except football fly commercial AFAIK, I used to coach D-1 college football and we always flew charter, but no other sports did.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tblack15
I laugh at any post that stipulates what you would "make it clear to UA". That's real sweet of you to put your employees first, but I doubt many real CEOs would agree.
I've been part of organizations where the management made it clear that everyone was on the team together, and everyone would be treated equally. The CEO and CFO shared a room when they traveled, just like everyone else did. You know what happened? Everyone chipped in to try to cut expenses when they were asked to. The CFO made presentations showing how EPS affected share price, from which everyone could calculate what they were getting personally from an extra 1 cent per share.

Then I've been part of organizations where the management was just looking out for themselves, flying corporate jets while asking other employees to cut back, etc. You know what happened there? Employees felt bitter, and were constantly trying to figure out how to get the most out of the company. For example, many employees had the attitude that if management was going to waste money, they were going to waste money too, and recover as much of it as they could in their own pockets, through credit card rewards. You had employees trying to see if they could take trips to China during Chinese New Year, when no work would be getting done, etc.

The attitude of the management rubs off on everyone. If management thinks only of themselves, then employees will too.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by STS-134
I've been part of organizations where the management made it clear that everyone was on the team together, and everyone would be treated equally. The CEO and CFO shared a room when they traveled, just like everyone else did. You know what happened? Everyone chipped in to try to cut expenses when they were asked to...
^^^

Exactly my experience too.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by schley
All teams except football fly commercial AFAIK, I used to coach D-1 college football and we always flew charter, but no other sports did.
A bunch of D1 basketball teams fly charter even for the regular season (NCAA contracts charter travel for teams participating in March Madness who are more than a certain distance from their tournament venue), so it's definitely not just football.

I suppose it would be difficult for non-revenue sports to justify chartering planes.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

This thread is about UA offering a "tier above Global Services - Chairman's Chair" --- sport teams travel arrangements and corporate management philosophy are pretty fair afield and would be best discussed elsewhere. Let's return to the "Chairman's Circle" -- not that most of us would ever receive that designation.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Chairmans Circle?

I understand that this is above GS.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...irman-s-1.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-s-circle.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-say-what.html
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by STS-134
I've been part of organizations where the management made it clear that everyone was on the team together, and everyone would be treated equally. The CEO and CFO shared a room when they traveled, just like everyone else did. You know what happened? Everyone chipped in to try to cut expenses when they were asked to. The CFO made presentations showing how EPS affected share price, from which everyone could calculate what they were getting personally from an extra 1 cent per share.

Then I've been part of organizations where the management was just looking out for themselves, flying corporate jets while asking other employees to cut back, etc. You know what happened there? Employees felt bitter, and were constantly trying to figure out how to get the most out of the company. For example, many employees had the attitude that if management was going to waste money, they were going to waste money too, and recover as much of it as they could in their own pockets, through credit card rewards. You had employees trying to see if they could take trips to China during Chinese New Year, when no work would be getting done, etc.

The attitude of the management rubs off on everyone. If management thinks only of themselves, then employees will too.
Completely agree that there should be one travel policy in companies but sharing hotel rooms is horribly unproductive. If a CEO/CFO shares a hotel room it means they don't travel much. When I get back to the room at 9PM, after a customer dinner, I am either wiped out and go right to bed, or work for several hours - often on the phone. Other times I might get up at 4AM to finish email or do calls with Europe before the day starts. There is no way two senior execs would be on the sleep schedule.
jasonp622 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’m pretty sure I flew next to one once. Very coiffed, very drunk, very talkative. Along the lines of “hubby is in the board and we have this special number I just call and everything is taken care of and they meet me at the curb...” on and on.

You know, I don’t care as I manage a similar special access list at work with maybe 50 people on it, some noted “do not delete”.

I do wonder if Mr. Pillows is Chairman’s Circle.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by milepig
I do wonder if Mr. Pillows is Chairmans Circle.
Mr Pillows doesn't join Chairmans Circle it joins him.

Mr Pillows can make 1== 3, so it makes no difference.

The only person with status above Mr Pillows, is Mr Pilows.

ua1flyer looks to Mr Pillows for travel tips.
Xyzzy and porciuscato like this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Yeah, it's a real address. Look it up on Google Maps:

1930 Frequent Flyer Point
Colorado Springs, CO 80915
Yes, it is....have been there a number of times. Randy has been a very gracious host for several gatherings I've attended over the years, including both at this office and at his own home nearby.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
There is likely a tier at UA effectively above Chairmans Circle for select employees and their families; I know there are at other airlines. Certain families (on other airlines) I know have cart blanche to fly around the world for free in First and the treatment would be considered above GS - I'm guessing there is a similar program in UA.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
I have never seen anything published by United that even mentions "Chairman's Circle", until now. On the back of an insert in the 2019 GS welcome package is a footnote which mentions "Chairman's Circle" as a registered service mark. Up until now, I just thought the Circle was FT folklore and did not really exist.

Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
It definitely exists as a friend is one. Only difference between GS and CC that I know of is they get a comped UC membership, but haven’t extensively compared.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by dkc715
I have never seen anything published by United that even mentions "Chairman's Circle", until now. On the back of an insert in the 2019 GS welcome package is a footnote which mentions "Chairman's Circle" as a registered service mark. Up until now, I just thought the Circle was FT folklore and did not really exist.

I hear if you have this they let you into Club 33 at Disneyland.
rflor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.