Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tier above Global Services - Chairman's Circle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier above Global Services - Chairman's Circle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
I was once on a flight with the whole executive team of a startup - the lead VC backing us asked me how I could take the whole team on one flight - what would happen if it crashed?

I said to him that if a plane with me on it crashed, I didn't much care what happened to the VC's shares in the startup...
I wonder if he would have said the same thing if all of you were in the same car, since you have a much greater chance of dying in a car than on any commercial flight...
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Don't think student travel is covered/paid for by Rice... if so I should have sent my daughter there �� but I digress ^ on an average ticket price of $375 (I can note the reference data later) I find it highly improbable that the estimated 665 full-time staff would have time to fly so frequently to account for the $5M+ Rice spend. But... stranger things have occurred ��
As a member of the professoriat, I can assure you that faculty at prestigious private U.S. universities do not pay the average ticket price when flying United. Perhaps the average front cabin ticket price?

Last edited by transportprof; Oct 11, 2016 at 10:19 am
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
Interesting development on Chairman's Circle and our friend Smisek. According to a few close friends who work at UA and have access to SHARES which lists all Chairman Circle members...there is one fishy member. Out of the couple hundred members, there is one University President who has it...and it is the President of Rice University. Rice University is also where Mrs. Jeff happens to be a women's studies professor...could this have been a favor given by our old favorite CEO? Who knows...
First, other the SMI/J having been gone for well over a year now... are you suggesting he still has any "pull"?

Second, are you really implying that a tenured professor (who according to her bio does have some rather impressive credentials) in womens studies nonetheless, needs to have her husband pull a favor to have a positive light shone on her?

Finally, here is the bio for the president of Rice:

Leebron is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He serves as chair of the boards of Internet2 and COFHE; vice chair of the Association of American Universities; on the boards of the Greater Houston Partnership, BioHouston, Jacobs University Bremen and the IMAX Corporation; and on the NCAA Board of Governors and Division 1 Board. He is the recipient of an honorary degree from Nankai University in Tianjin, China, is an honorary professor of law at Tianjin University, and has been awarded Commandeur de l'Ordre National du Mérite by the government of France and the Encomienda de la Orden de Isabel La Católica by the government of Spain. He received the Roy M. Huffington Award for Contributions to International Understanding from Asia Society Texas and was recognized as the International Executive of the Year by the Greater Houston Partnership.
If this bio doesn't scream HVF instead of the "fishy" label, I don't know what does.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Don't think student travel is covered/paid for by Rice...
As someone who used to work in the university travel space, a TON of universities DO pay/book these. It's simply included in the students tuition. It's then on the university or travel contractor to come under budget. Group flights also do NOT book into G/K/L.

When you do the math, $5m spend at an avg of $1,500 ticket is only 3,333 students/staff. That's less than half of the students and staff. It's possible.

Rice was actually a client, but can't remember if they booked flights through us.

For another client, a program leader paid for 40+ $1,500 airline tickets on her AmEx so she'd get the points. They know what they're doing.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Not to mention sports charters. I don't know how Rice's teams travel, but if even some of them charter UA to their away games they could approach $5m quickly.

Now whether or not the president or the athletics director should get the CC credit for that, well....
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by phxrsng
Not to mention sports charters. I don't know how Rice's teams travel, but if even some of them charter UA to their away games they could approach $5m quickly.

Now whether or not the president or the athletics director should get the CC credit for that, well....
This whole program seems sleazy. "Let's treat the decision makers better than the people who are actually flying UA on the contracts they sign, because we don't want them to know how badly we treat the majority of our customers..."
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by STS-134
This whole program seems sleazy. "Let's treat the decision makers better than the people who are actually flying UA on the contracts they sign, because we don't want them to know how badly we treat the majority of our customers..."
How is that different than any sales job?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
Not all salespeople are sleazy. If I were a CEO, I'd make it clear to UA that every employee who flies on business is to receive the same treatment I do, otherwise they can kiss the entire contract goodbye.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
It is insofar as it borders on the sort of illegal side-deals and kickbacks that are against the law in the U.S.

Let's face it, GS (and even more so, Chairman's Circle) have real monetary value. So giving them to a decision-maker is basically a kickback that the recipient pays no taxes on.

What's GS worth? maybe $15,000 or $20,000. That's roughly what I paid extra to get it with PassPlus. Chairman's circle could easily be valued at double that. So that's $30,000 of income that should be taxed but isn't. Very, very wrong in my opinion.

How would you feel about a salesperson doling out Golf Club memberships worth $20 or $30K to clinch a deal?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS, Emirates iO (Invitation Only)
Not all salespeople are sleazy. If I were a CEO, I'd make it clear to UA that every employee who flies on business is to receive the same treatment I do, otherwise they can kiss the entire contract goodbye.
I don't think that is fair. They can't be giving status like chairmans circle to so many people, that ruins the exclusivity of it.
I'm EK iO. I am the owner/president of my company, and have a lot of employees that travel on EK J, and we use EK Sky Cargo. A good amount of them are platinum, but asking EK to give them all iO just seems silly. I can only guess I received iO because I myself also fly a good amount of J/F, but also because EK knows my business is giving them a lot of money for my employee travel and cargo. There would be no purpose of these ultra exclusive tiers if everyone had them. There's a reason theres only a few hundred people in these programs.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phxrsng

The non-revenue sports probably fly commercial. That said, that's a ton of tickets and could easily be a couple million dollars when you add it all up. Out of Houston, it's probably on United.

I've been on lots of flights with Division I volleyball, baseball, wrestling, soccer, etc. teams. From big-budget (Power 5) programs as well as smaller ones. I'm fairly certain most schools try to send those teams commercial when it's feasible.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Houstonflyer2139
I don't think that is fair. They can't be giving status like chairmans circle to so many people, that ruins the exclusivity of it.
I'm EK iO. I am the owner/president of my company, and have a lot of employees that travel on EK J, and we use EK Sky Cargo. A good amount of them are platinum, but asking EK to give them all iO just seems silly. I can only guess I received iO because I myself also fly a good amount of J/F, but also because EK knows my business is giving them a lot of money for my employee travel and cargo. There would be no purpose of these ultra exclusive tiers if everyone had them. There's a reason theres only a few hundred people in these programs.
They shouldn't be giving this status to any decision maker, they should be treating all employees well and win contracts based on that. If the decision makers aren't happy sitting in E- seats like the rest of their employees, then UA does not deserve the contract.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:00 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
They shouldn't be giving this status to any decision maker, they should be treating all employees well and win contracts based on that. If the decision makers aren't happy sitting in E- seats like the rest of their employees, then UA does not deserve the contract.
Um, is that how the real world works? When a company or lobbying organization tries to influence someone with decision making power, they treat that person to *less* privilege and benefits that the people who they end up delivering the service to?

Do you think it's really likely, except in a very unusual organization where the leaders are very conscientious and caring about their employees well-being, that someone trying to get your business would treat the top decision maker exactly the same as the average employee?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TA
Do you think it's really likely, except in a very unusual organization where the leaders are very conscientious and caring about their employees well-being, that someone trying to get your business would treat the top decision maker exactly the same as the average employee?
This part made me giggle. I have this vision of United trying to sell to the Easter Bunny and making him fly E-...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
I laugh at any post that stipulates what you would "make it clear to UA". That's real sweet of you to put your employees first, but I doubt many real CEOs would agree.

Would UA "give" GS to all your employees? I doubt it. Maybe if you paid for it. In which case, you'd have to explain to your investors/shareholders that you spent a truckload of money on a UA contract that gives bennies to all your EEs.

Is it a "kickback"? Probably, but I don't find it out of the ordinary. Besides, no decision in a large enough corporation is made by a singular person anymore. And if they did make a decision based on getting some kickback or benefit, they're risking their employment doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.