Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the earlier 2015's thread (now closed):
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Does making a paid change to book flight change the 24 hour free refund deadline?

Just booked and ticketed a multisegment flight today. Per UA, I have 24 hours to cancel that flight for a full refund.

If I change one of the flights, and incur a fee for changing to a different flight (fee is for fare differential, not for change fee), does this extend the 24 hour deadline to the time of the latest itinerary change? Or is it based upon the original ticketing time?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Globehopper
If I change one of the flights, and incur a fee for changing to a different flight (fee is for fare differential, not for change fee), does this extend the 24 hour deadline to the time of the latest itinerary change? Or is it based upon the original ticketing time?
Original ticket issuance. You can't restart the clock once that initial 24 hour period has expired.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Original ticket issuance. You can't restart the clock once that initial 24 hour period has expired.
Thanks, Kacee!

Followup question:

Original ticket booked at 10:30 AM today at United.com.

I rebooked a tight flight connection @ ORD to provide more connection time (original 45 min connection while it may be legal, is too tight IMO). Paid $13 tariff differential to catch a later flight.

If I want to cancel the entire itinerary, can I still do so within 24 hours of the original ticketing time even though the itinerary has been modified?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Globehopper
... If I want to cancel the entire itinerary, can I still do so within 24 hours of the original ticketing time even though the itinerary has been modified?
yes
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes
Thanks, WineCountryUA!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
A few months back I did the UA Status Match Challenge and got Premier Gold for 90 days. When checking in online for LH flights the BP always showed my UA*G status and said "Priority Boarding". Now, Mrs JohnRain has recently also been approved for the Status Match Challenge and when logging in on united.com it says that she's Premier Gold, but when I checked her in this morning for an upcoming LH flight, the BP says UA*P and the "Priority Boarding" Label is missing.

What does UA*P mean? I figured it might mean "Platinum", but she's only been matched to Gold (as per the united website) and the fact that there's no "Priority Boarding" label on her BP got me confused.

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by JohnRain
When checking in online for LH flights the BP always showed my UA*G status and said "Priority Boarding". Now, Mrs JohnRain has recently also been approved for the Status Match Challenge and when logging in on united.com it says that she's Premier Gold, but when I checked her in this morning for an upcoming LH flight, the BP says UA*P and the "Priority Boarding" Label is missing.

What does UA*P mean? I figured it might mean "Platinum", but she's only been matched to Gold (as per the united website) and the fact that there's no "Priority Boarding" label on her BP got me confused.

Thanks
A few years ago when I was flying LH very often as a UA*G, if the system did not recognize the elite status (usually had to be manually entered by LH staff upon sighting the FF card), this is what the BP would show.

However, as you have done this all in the LH system (and I assume they have updated their system by now), I would say that UA has either:

1. Not properly upgraded your wife to gold status yet.

2. Possibly given her a Platinum challenge?

or:

3. LH lost connectivity to their *A elite status database - or to United's database - whatever they are using to verify this.

Log into .bomb using your wife's account number and see what it says there, after which, we can probably guide you further.

I would say that if she shows no status on United's site, then might as well give them a call to find out what's going on...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
A few years ago when I was flying LH very often as a UA*G, if the system did not recognize the elite status (usually had to be manually entered by LH staff upon sighting the FF card), this is what the BP would show.

However, as you have done this all in the LH system (and I assume they have updated their system by now), I would say that UA has either:

1. Not properly upgraded your wife to gold status yet.

2. Possibly given her a Platinum challenge?

or:

3. LH lost connectivity to their *A elite status database - or to United's database - whatever they are using to verify this.

Log into .bomb using your wife's account number and see what it says there, after which, we can probably guide you further.

I would say that if she shows no status on United's site, then might as well give them a call to find out what's going on...
Thanks for your detailed reply SuperFlyBoy. Upon logging in on united.com it says she's Premier Gold, that's why I don't understand why the BP doesn't reflect that (as it did when I did the challenge). This could perhaps be explained by LH losing connectivity to their *A elite status database, as you were suggesting. Can you or someone else confirm that UA*P does indeed mean Platinum?

Last edited by JohnRain; Oct 2, 2015 at 2:34 am
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Thanks for your detailed reply SuperFlyBoy. Upon logging in on united.com it says she's Premier Gold, that's why I don't understand why the BP doesn't reflect that (as it did when I did the challenge). This could perhaps be explained by LH losing connectivity to their *A elite status database, as you were suggesting. Can you or someone else confirm that UA*P does indeed mean Platinum?
I have never been Platinum (tried to requalify for 1K each time), but I would call LH and see what status they show your wife as having in their system now.

I would gather that they would show her as a base level member, but it doesn't hurt to call in and see.

If that is the case, then I would escalate it to United and ask them to reconfirm as to why LH is not recognizing the status.

Remember that most of the time LH lounge staff want to see your actual card. (especially if not on the BP)

(Note that I think that LH shows UA Gold and up as UA*G only...so my previous inference is probably correct)
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I have never been Platinum (tried to requalify for 1K each time), but I would call LH and see what status they show your wife as having in their system now.

I would gather that they would show her as a base level member, but it doesn't hurt to call in and see.

If that is the case, then I would escalate it to United and ask them to reconfirm as to why LH is not recognizing the status.

Remember that most of the time LH lounge staff want to see your actual card. (especially if not on the BP)

(Note that I think that LH shows UA Gold and up as UA*G only...so my previous inference is probably correct)
Thanks SuperFlyBoy. I just called LH and they can indeed see that my wife is UA*G in their systems but they told me that if you don't enter this information at the time of booking, you can't modify it later, ie if you enter the status at OLCI it's not taken into account anymore. Quite disappointing. She'll have to go to the check-in desk to have her BP reissued.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:14 am

you can't modify it later, ie if you enter the status at OLCI it's not taken into account anymore. Quite disappointing. She'll have to go to the check-in desk to have her BP reissued.
No idea what this is all about - but can you explain it more clearly?

If you actually *do* enter the FF# when doing OLCI, they then "lose" the status in the system?

Man, I thought that things couldn't get worse with LH, but they do find More & More ways to complicate things...
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:04 am

What's the difference between a Saver award and a Standard award. I looked online, and they gave a basic explanation basically saying Saver is a discount. Well, duh, that's obvious.

Can someone tell me why you wouldn't go for the Saver over the Standard if both were offered?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
What's the difference between a Saver award and a Standard award. I looked online, and they gave a basic explanation basically saying Saver is a discount. Well, duh, that's obvious.

Can someone tell me why you wouldn't go for the Saver over the Standard if both were offered?
The availability is the biggest difference. There is less saver space (at a lower price) while standard (depending on status/credit card) is readily available. And standard space is only available on UA operated flights. Otherwise they are fairly equivalent. There is limited ability to mixed saver / standard on the same ticket.

To answer the question -- if you can construct an itin with all the segment in one direction are saver, go for that. And if you can do it in both directions go for it. But if you have specific time / routing requirements standard may be the only answer with availability.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2015 at 9:51 am Reason: More direct answer
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:51 pm

confirmed

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I was under the impression that ALL (miles or Ca$h) reservations were eligible for 100% refund within 24 hours.
Web support just sent me an e-mail stating that
"Award tickets are also eligible for our Risk Free Policy"
Didn't actually try it though, so I don't know who one has to contact within 24 hours to make a change or get a refund. Nor if there's a waiting time before a refund/re-deposit of miles is made.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
Web support just sent me an e-mail stating that
"Award tickets are also eligible for our Risk Free Policy"
Didn't actually try it though, so I don't know who one has to contact within 24 hours to make a change or get a refund. Nor if there's a waiting time before a refund/re-deposit of miles is made.
You don't have to contact anyone to redeposit your miles within 24 hours. You can do it right on the Web site. As far as waiting time, my experience has been that miles redeposit and fees are refunded within 24 hours, and sometimes within a few minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.