Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Letters to Oscar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Dear Oscar,

A great book for you to read on the plane -- From Worst to First, by Gordon Bethune.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by exwannabe
1) Fix the labor contract / unified workforce issues.

2) Improve OPs. DL has proven that money spent there comes back quickly to the bottom line, and makes people a bit more willing to accept the FF devaluation (that I know will not change).
^

Reading the thread backwards ...
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Dear Oscar,

I'm sure you'll be receiving many letters containing advice for how to turn around UA. The one thing I would suggest above all others is that you begin a campaign to get back UA's most loyal customers who have defected to other airlines.

As a start, I would suggest you get a list of the 25 formerly highest-yield customers who's business has dropped significantly and CALL THEM. Don't email, don't have someone else do it. Pick up the phone and call them personally, say "we miss you, what can I (not we, I) do to get you back. I think within a couple hours you'll have a comprehensive list of the most important things to concentrate on first.

Then, follow up to say "I understand your concerns about xyz, and these are the steps I've taken to change the situation. Please, give us a new chance.

Then, have someone monitor the system for bookings from them and have a senior manager waiting at the gate when they disembark to ask how their experience was.

Last edited by milepig; Sep 10, 2015 at 9:40 am
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:35 am

3 things will make me happy!
  1. Please improve on time performance and improve customer service
  2. Please stop with this non-sense TODs, you are losing loyal customers for a quick $29
  3. Fix the boarding process
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:40 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Try to keep it short.

1) Get rid of TOD upgrade offers.
2) Update PMUA 777 and 747 BF seats.
3) Tone down “Friendly” campaign. It is odd to see them all over the place while your customer service is not quite there.
4) Bring back BKK, please.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sawasdee
Try to keep it short.

1) Get rid of TOD upgrade offers.
2) Update PMUA 777 and 747 BF seats.
3) Tone down “Friendly” campaign. It is odd to see them all over the place while your customer service is not quite there.
4) Bring back BKK, please.
I never, ever again want to see the word "enhanced" in an announcement about service changes. We're not idiots.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:43 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Dear Oscar,

Welcome!

You've already had lots of good suggestions, but no one has yet mentioned your reservations/IT system (SHARES), which dates from the 1960s and causes you more problems than you would believe in simple booking and re-booking operations. Many of your personnel still don't know how to use it, years after the merger. Do yourself a favor and dump it now. Switch to a 21st-century system that doesn't require your agents to memorize yards of arcane computer code in order to do a simple task. It may cost you money to begin with, but it will more than pay for itself in a short time.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Dear Oscar,

Congratulations on your new CEO role.

What I would like to see:
1) Unite the employees - they need to feel they are on one team, working for one airline
2) Empower the employees to take care of customers, even if it means making exceptions to policies
3) Fix the IT systems to avoid future meltdowns
4) Replace the slimline seats with something more comfortable
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by milepig
I never, ever again want to see the word "enhanced" in an announcement about service changes. We're not idiots.
+1

also, "changes you'll like".
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by skidooman
Dear Oscar:

I am just going to ask for one thing for starters: have your marketing department stop lying to customers. When you cut, you cut, and you don't explain this as an "enhancement" somehow.
This would be covered under the "Stop Copying Delta" rubric.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by milepig
Dear Oscar,

As a start, I would suggest you get a list of the 25 formerly highest-yield customers who's business has dropped significantly and CALL THEM. Don't email, don't have someone else do it. Pick up the phone and call them personally, say "we miss you, what can I (not we, I) do to get you back. I think within a couple hours you'll have a comprehensive list of the most important things to concentrate on first.

Then, follow up to say "I understand your concerns about xyz, and these are the steps I've taken to change the situation. Please, give us a new chance.

Then, have someone monitor the system for bookings from them and have a senior manager waiting at the gate when they disembark to ask how their experience was.
+1 I think this is a very very good idea. Don't look at surveys, actually call up people who used to fly United.

But I would not promise them anything now, say instead "I am intend on fixing what is wrong at United, and your input is very valuable, if its ok, I want to call you back in 3-6 months, and tell you what we are doing, and see if I can entice you back."
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Oscar - before you depart on your "listening tour," I recommend bringing all your senior managers together and showing them this video.

You might want to bring it with you on your trip to the field, and show it to them as well.

Good luck!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Oscar - before you depart on your "listening tour," I recommend bringing all your senior managers together and showing them this video.

https://youtu.be/mU2rpcAABbA

You might want to bring it with you on your trip to the field, and show it to them as well.

Good luck!
Sigh - we need to add "fire the entire marketing group" to the list. These old ads just make me yearn for the old days. Remember the line drawing one of the guy bringing roses to mom? Ad campaigns with some depth have been replaced by giant billboards saying "United. We're flyer friendly" in the ugliest typeface possible. No thought, no imagination, totally banal.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by halls120

https://youtu.be/mU2rpcAABbA

Good luck!
I thought that was great commercial when it first aired. Love the irony.

Thanks for bringing it back.^
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:12 pm

Dear Mr. Munoz,

Some of the things that drove me from UA cannot be changed. You can't bring back the staff at BDL who served me loyally for many years and were forced to choose between resigning and being paid $10 an hour by a contractor. This was one of many things, during the reign of your predecessor, that made UA an unattractive alirline to fly. Despite being a high elite and MM with UA, I now fly B6 as an elite and am fairly happy with them ( no change or cancellation fees).

If you made an effort to try to win me back, I would be glad to consider it. I won't tell you any specifics, just make UA an attractive place for business flyers (who fly between 75-100k miles a year) to fly on again. I need to be sold on UA. If you successfully sell me, I'll come back.

A former UA customer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.