Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Letters to Oscar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
To this end this TOD upgrade stuff has to end. Offering buy-ups to F is fine, if priced at the current fare difference, but shorting your long term customers who spends $20K+ annually to make an extra $39 is the kind of thing that drove us away.
+1^
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
So is everyone up-thread actually sending these to Mr. Munoz? I sincerely doubt he reads FT. I assume his email is: [email protected]

Best strategy? Be BRIEF. Be HIGH-LEVEL and STRATEGIC. Be RESPECTFUL.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
For the love of God can we get a decent Wifi system in place?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Dear Oscar:

I am just going to ask for one thing for starters: have your marketing department stop lying to customers. When you cut, you cut, and you don't explain this as an "enhancement" somehow.

Like:

1- On TPAC flights, saying United offers a three course entry when all you did is to move the mid-flight ice cream to the beginning of the flight, introduce fermented grape juice when you cut a tad more decent wine one year before, and replace the mid-flight snack with a cracker and a piece of processed cheese. This is called a cut, not an enhancement, and it insults our intelligence when it gets called otherwise.

2- On miles redeem, when you ask for more miles, you ask for more miles. It is not an improvement for customers, just for United.

3- The whole shenanigan for restaurants in EWR. I wish the feds would investigate that one too in the hope of finding blatant corruption. That "change we will like" means less service, less choice, less value but a much steeper tab.

Start by calling a cut a cut.

But if you really want to improve things, then stop cutting and start competing on value. Start thinking that if you improve service, take care of your frequent flyers and high-value flyers, do the things some of your competitors did, you will be able to thrive because you will get more predictable, higher revenues. Instead of trying to emulate Spirit for international travel.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
UA should re-do its 787s with 8 seats per row throughout Economy!
I'd be happy if they went 8 across in just the E+ rows. Until that happens, I will never fly in a UA 787 in Y.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Dear Oscar,

1) Empower employees to make customers feel welcome again instead of like they are the enemy.

2) Make the GPU useful on any paid fare. Never again will I pay more for a lottery ticket on an airline. It just makes me angry at United every time. Looking at the unused balance of GPU's in my account reminds me why I don't want to willingly fly more on UA.

3) Refine the zone boarding and get rid of those silly lines that cause boarding line panic 1 hour before boarding even starts. Your customers deserve the ability to remain comfortably seated or enjoy the lounge we pay for for just a bit longer.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Hi Oscar,

Take some Delta flights.
Best advice yet. ^
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
To this end this TOD upgrade stuff has to end. Offering buy-ups to F is fine, if priced at the current fare difference, but shorting your long term customers who spends $20K+ annually to make an extra $39 is the kind of thing that drove us away.
+1^ plus stop the petty nickle and dime charges to loyal cusotmers. You make enough off of bag charges from non-elites to cover expenses.

Can we get limes back?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While the letters are a nice touch, keep in mind Oscar represents a singular personification of the board of directors as a board insider (and was likely chosen for that reason) and lacks relevant experience to lead an airline. Aside from his tenure hopefully being temporary in favor of a more qualified candidate, remember it was the board that endorsed if not encouraged Smisek's strategic plan - so I expect absolutely nothing to change, and certainly not for the better.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:43 am
Suspended

Letters to Oscar

Dear Oscar,

I know you won't be at your current position long... Please bring back the free premium booze at the UC.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Dear Oscar,

1) Improve on time performance.
2) Empower employees to deal with customer issues when things go wrong.
3) Improve on time performance.

Blueman2
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Exclamation

Dear Oscar,

Read FlyerTalk & you'll be fine. We are your true consultancy.

Last edited by Richard Chen; Sep 9, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by halls120
I'd be happy if they went 8 across in just the E+ rows. Until that happens, I will never fly in a UA 787 in Y.
Ditto for the B-747 and B-777 !
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
fly on a 2.5+ hour flight on a RJ and report back on your experience. Imagine having to fly on it every other week and think about your loyalty to UA when other carriers fly main line.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:29 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note: This thread asks for people to share what they would ask the new CEO to do. It's not a thread to debate whether you feel they are right or wrong. There are plenty of other threads for those specific topics.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.