Wiki Posts
Search

Letters to Oscar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Make a HUGE effort to get back all the Elites who have walked away.
I agree. It's time to bring it back. I like the old way. I'm tired of flying on Delta. Because of this, they change the Skymiles program. I hate it!! Eliminate the MQD. Eliminate them now!!!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:05 pm

Boeing marketed the 787 with 8 seats per row in E (2-4-2), making for a spacious cabin. However, nearly every airline is outfitting it with 9 seats per row in E (some with 8 in their premium economy, not to be confused with UA's E+).

UA should re-do its 787s with 8 seats per row throughout Economy!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Dear Mr. Munoz:

Congratulations on your new and it appears unexpected post. Unfortunately, you are being handed a red-hot mess. Employees are mad/disenchanted, customers are leaving, and competition is growing. An airline being kept in the black by constant pull back of capacity and low fuel prices will not long serve. A few suggestions I might make as someone who has now left UA twice (most recently in 2014 after being GS for 6 years in a row):

(1) Focus on small but symbolic product improvements to remove things that cause the perception of your brand to be poor. Think decent coffee, adding espresso to international flights, spending more on wine, not having long flights on domestic F w/o food.

(2) realize that you are in very different markets. What might work e.g TATL produce wise may not fly TPAC - with much more service oriented competitors and long flights. Trying to standardize everything (such as only having two "meals" in Y internationally) just does not work.

(3) free your employees to do the right thing and help people. Yes, they may give away something from time to time, but the CS value is worth it in the long term

(4) set decent OT performance goals, and make the investments to make them happen. Not the sub-par "higher than 80 is a waste" CO goal, but something that would have people want to fly you for your reliablity.

(5) fix the upgrade system. If you are not going to offer leading product (think DL) then you had better at least match them in upgrade percentage, something that is not happening to day. What you loose in "TOD" revenue you will get back may times over in not losing sales to HVFers.

(6) start on a program to upgrade the hard product. This means Direct Isle Access, and fixing some of the real sub-par stuff such as 6'3" BF seats (which are only really about 5'9"), slim line seats, A/C w/o IFE.

(7) get unified labor agreements. Do it now, before the gloss comes off. If you don't do it in the next 3-6 months, it is not gonna happen.

Best of luck!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: United MM Alaska MP Cessna/Piper Captain
Originally Posted by Baze
But elite qualification is still based on miles flown/ridden. They just added a revenue component to it and you have to meet both.
Dump the revenue component. That's my point.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Dear Oscar,

1. Make Flyers Happy
2. Make Shareholders Happy
3. Make Employees Happy

Good luck with that!

P.S. I've never flown internationally aboard United in my life. Hope you could change that.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: United MM Alaska MP Cessna/Piper Captain
Originally Posted by GSBEWR
Dear Mr. Munoz,

My other key suggestion is to grow and expand; not contract and hide. Grow the airline. Take on new routes and compete. Look at Delta. Yes, they dropped the hubs at Cincinnati and Memphis. But look what they have done since: expand in Seattle, New York's LaGuardia and JFK, Boston Logan and others. Meanwhile, it seems all United has done is cut routes and presence at many airports. Please turn this around. Compete with the other airlines and grow service and routes.
Amen. United has been gutting service out of SEA. You used to have a good flight from SEA to NRT. No more. And connections from NRT are decreasing. Not the way to grow an airline. Now if I want to fly a Star Alliance flight from SEA to NRT I'm stuck on ANA. Sorry, after my experience with three of their flights in coach in 2012 I will NEVER ride them in coach again. Took a month for my knees to quit hurting. So, now I have to ride UA down to SFO and then off to Asia, where ever I'm going, even if NRT is the destination. In the meantime, Delta keeps increasing their service out of SEA. Please don't force me to ride Delta. In 40 years I've never experienced anything approaching legroom on Delta. They're almost as bad as ANA. The LH of US carriers when it comes to legroom in coach.

Act like you want the airline to grow. Don't shrink service. Don't force people to ride the competition.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:52 pm

1) Get the FA's to find terms that win in this market
2) Be the most reliable airline at each hub market - SFO, LAX, ORD, DC, NYC, DEN, IAH
3) Retire a third of headquarters management, and plow the savings into making the front line empowered and customers feeling they've had a productive trip
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
1K boarding....PRETTY PLEASE.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Congratulations Mr Munoz! I, as well as countless others have abandoned United over the past few years because of cuts to the Mileage Plus program, the reduction in on-time performance, and the inconsistencies between former continental and former united employees. Maybe it's not worth changing any of these things to win back my business but there are an awful lot of us out there. Many of us would gladly come back to United if we were given a reason to do so.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Welcome to your new position! I've been flying UA for a really long time.. and no plans to leave. Flown Delta a couple times recently.not really by choice, but because out of Seattle United has cut back.. still, I'm staying... and I hope the skies will be friendly for years to come.. here are my pie in the sky wishes..

Airline Brand/Labor/Arm Chair CEO (Easy for me to say)
1. Make it United Airlines again and bring back the tulip logo..but refresh the font/logo combination to something new..preferably with a little red in it also.. the red carpets and Red Carpet Clubs were synonymous with United for decades (just get rid of that globe and the Continental name... it's over... there's a nice museum in Houston I'll bet). Do it immediately even before you continue with union negotiations.. sends a message that things are changing.

2. Get the flight attendants merged..just get it done. Yes, unions are often unreasonable, they spew absurd and inflammatory propaganda (like many people on FT haha), management is always the enemy, they want all of the top perks cherry picked from each of their prior contracts with little regard to overall productivity of each, etc... I don't have specifics to back up what I've just said, but they're unions so I'd bet the house I'm not far off on that prediction. However, they're mostly good and loyal people and they've stuck around through hard times, and they're neither paid like kings, nor coddled that's for sure. The company is doing better..airlines have a far better business model now and it appears to be working.. so throw them a few bones...let them stay at a downtown hotel on a long layover here and there, give them something a little better than a Totinos pizza to eat. And if they are dead heading/commuting at the tail end of their schedule and not sitting in a jump seat.. for heaven's sake let them take off their uniform, wear whatever they want within reason, and have drinks on the plane if they so desire (and for free even in coach)! But no positive space dead heading or commuting in first class please..there are way too many of them for that! You've been workin on the railroad...all the live long... you know how it goes. Just fix it.

3. Either restore some service in Seattle and Portland.. a once proud station, or go for it all. Now.. I know this is all part of "capacity discipline"... and you "right sized" the station because Delta has come in and staked it out as a hub. I particularly miss SEA-PDX and PDX-LAX, but SEA-NRT as well. So..restore those routes only... or I want you to buy Alaska Airlines. Alaska can't compete with Delta if Delta really wants to take them over. Do you want to compete with Delta with a hub in SEA that could, if they buy AS, rival the one you have at SFO? United has always dominated the west..that's why I started flying UA.. no other airline could offer everything UA could offer as a SEA based flyer. But you've really lost a few steps..cutting the PDX flights, and PDX-LAX were disappointing.

You could load level your new AS operations between SEA and SFO (using capacity discipline of course).. do some lot of Asia flying from SEA, and force Delta back into the South satellite where it belongs. ^ I know... never going to happen... a guy can try.

On Board Entertainment

1. I have to say I LOVE LIVE TV. I would prefer you install screens on all planes, but if you insist on moving to the BYOD model, please find a way to include live TV/DirecTV as part of the streaming package. Delta can do it.. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.. I would love it! Also if you are going to make me use my own tablet, please put power ports at every seat and install some kind of rack or hook on the seat in front of me so I can hang the tablet over it.. it's really hard to watch something while eating dinner if I have to put my tablet on my tray with the meal. The slimline seats in economy work pretty well but I usually fly in first class and it's more difficult.

2. Why isn't WiFi free in first class?

Upgrades

1. I never thought I'd say this, but eliminate complimentary upgrades that are auto requested and go back to awarding 500 mile eCoupons that you must request to redeem. AA still uses this feature for it's members except their Exec Plat.. UA could do the same except for Global Services/1K.. UA used to have no exemption..everyone had to use the coupons or another instrument. This lets you pick and choose which flights to upgrade, and clearance becomes easier for many.

2. Stop selling first class upgrades at checkin so cheaply. A friend of mine who was silver was unable to upgrade on a flight from Houston to Seattle a couple days ago because United offered the 2 remaining seats for $99. Who wouldn't buy that for a 4 hour flight? When else is a Silver supposed to earn their complimentary upgrade? This should have been offered at $399..then, fair is fair.

On Board Food/Liquor
1. The meal improvements in first are decent.. I'm still trying them out.. but nice to see you've done some good things here. Keep up the variety... my advice after being a 1K since 1999... PLEASE DON'T LET WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF ON BOARD FOOD GET COMPLACENT, AND DON'T TELL THEM IT'S OK TO CUT A DOLLAR HERE AND THERE AND THAT THEY CAN JUST SERVE THE SAME FOOD AS QUARTER...KEEP IT CHANGING ALL THE TIME!!!!!. Customers who fly all the time get very tired of the same food.. I think I must have had the same cheese omelet on United 300 times.. watery sausage puck, cherry tomato, pineapple, red grapes, honeydew melon, croissant/cinnamon roll, yogurt... so sick of it. But, after a decade+ you finally changed it.

2. Why don't elites like Global Services/1K get complimentary alcoholic beverages in economy? Both AA and DL do this (DL in their econ extra section)..this is a really low cost benefit.. how much do those minis cost the airline? $.50 each at most? You send 10 drink coupons per year.. but I'm done with those by January by giving them to others or using them myself when my upgrade doesn't clear or I'm on a regional jet.

MileagePlus Program

1. I can't say I love the change to miles based on dollars paid instead of distance. But I understand the reasoning and it makes sense. However I've got one big complaint. Why is it that if someone buys an upgrade to economy plus for $59, that money counts towards their Premier Dollars. But, when I pay for one of the upgrades to a premium cabin, those dollars do not count? I paid $1,159 in July for an upgrade to BusinessFirst on a flight from IAH-LHR, but got no credit for Premier Qualifying Dollars. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Same with change fees.. why can't they count? That's gravy for United.. you should be happy to include all of that extra revenue.

2. Please don't change to a phantom award system where you have no idea what an award could possibly cost before you try and book it. How is anyone supposed to save up?

Million Miler Benefits

I'm a 1 million miler with about 1.84 million flown.

Please make the million mile benefit into something meaningful for those of us who are still regular flyers as million milers and are not "resting on the laurels" (yet) of the lifetime status.

I am gold for life, but I have not been as low as gold even once since hitting a million miles. I've been 1K every year (sadly I'll never get Global.. my company won't spend that much). Why can't you add Million Miler to the upgrade hierarchy so that a 1K million miler is higher than a 1K? And a 2MM miler 1K is higher than a 1MM 1K..both of these 1K's have achieved more than their base "gift" levels. But the point is..as of right now Million Milers who travel frequently and earn status anyway get no benefit at all for the daily/weekly/monthly "grind". The companion benefit is nice, my companion is an infrequent traveler. It would be nice to have some reward in the when I'm traveling myself...and you would not be unjust to anyone else or cost UA any money. GS would still be ahead.

Website/Other

1. I like the new interface, keep workin at it.

2. As someone else mentioned.. please let the few of us out there who want a little more access use ExpertFlyer and restore access to award information. Or, provide the same info on your site with the ability to save a few alerts.. it would be quite handy. If you don't want outsiders to do it, why not provide the convenience yourself?

Red Carpet Club

1. I'm optimistic you'll consider changing the name back... Please restore the house liquor to better brands, like Barcardi and Smirnoff.. I've been in 3 Delta Clubs in the past 6 weeks.. their comp brands are all name brands that you know...not the industrial liquor you downgraded to a couple years ago. Also, please have 2 kinds of complimentary red and white. Should be pretty easy to do.

2. The lounges are way too crowded. I pay for my membership.. I am not planning on quitting the lounge, but you've got to find a way to get some people out of there.

3. Kudos on the new food.. I like it. A little slow on getting to Seattle.. it's not here yet.

Well that's enough for your first day. Best of luck!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Fundamentals First and the Rest Will Follow

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:56 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Hi Oscar,

Take some Delta flights.

1. Notice that they are usually on time. If delayed, notice how they are proactive with communication and rebooking, and providing refreshments at the gate.

2. All aisle access. I really can't justify why to fly United when your business class hard product is completely subpar. The only time I fly you is when my wife and I are traveling together and we actually want to have two seats together.

3. Improve onboard service. Flight attendants shouldn't tell me to put my coat bag in the overhead bin without looking for space. They should graciously take it from me when I board. Food should be edible.

4. Treat joint venture flights identically to United miles. I should earn the same number of miles and MQD for them. They should count to my 4 United segments. I don't have much opportunity to fly United metal anymore because of constant cutbacks in SEA. The choice is between Delta and your JV partners. Which would you rather get my revenue?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Hi Oscar,

I suggest you address the IT issues timely.

SunLover
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Dear Mr. Munoz,

Please give us our hub back. It doesn't have to be a big hub. Just a little mini-hub would satisfy our Cleveland travel needs and wounded pride.

It would be a gesture of good faith to show your willingness to acknowledge and correct the mistake of the prior leadership.

And it will be good for your ego too, because we are not afraid to beg you for it.

I wish you all the best in your new position.

Sincerely,

Dergon

ps -- also please add CLE-FRA .... it can be Lufthansa if you want .... either way would be fine
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Boeing marketed the 787 with 8 seats per row in E (2-4-2), making for a spacious cabin. However, nearly every airline is outfitting it with 9 seats per row in E (some with 8 in their premium economy, not to be confused with UA's E+).

UA should re-do its 787s with 8 seats per row throughout Economy!
I agree 100%. I currently give all of my international business to Delta or foreign carriers as I refuse to be uncomfortable for more than a couple of hours. At least reconfigure the Economy Plus sections of the wide body fleet with 2-3-2 or 2-4-2.

Last edited by CLTRob; Sep 9, 2015 at 6:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.