Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PN9 & R0: UA opening upgrades only to Global Services, message to other elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PN9 & R0: UA opening upgrades only to Global Services, message to other elites?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by transportbiz
You've hit the nail on the head there. UA makes PN available, because they know it won't be utilized (not by those who earn it by spend), they withhold R inventory because it will be utilized.

The benefit is pretty much only utilized by comped GS members or designated GS members. Who don't fly often.

It would be pretty hard to qualify for GS without buying front cabin. You could do it by buying full-fare Y, but you'd be pretty foolish to do so most of the time because FC is often cheaper.
Every GS I know buys coach tickets domestically (I know there are lots of GS that purchase first all the time also). They get GS because their companies let them purchase business class internationally.

I flew DEN-BOS the other day on a purchased First ticket and there were 4 GS in first, all upgraded from coach.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmculp
The message is that GPUs, RPUs and miles are not intended to actually be able to be spent.
Which is why I've given up chasing 1K. Instruments are near worthless unless you can book months in advance.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
my 12 GPU were all used this year
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I became GS in 2015 for the first time after being 1K for well over a decade. Partially I found that business or first wasn't always a whole lot more than H fares which I used to buy.

Secondly, I looked at how much I paid on change fees and unless I was about 90% sure I will actually fly a trip, I started to buy fares that were refundable or cancel-able minus a fee - so I didn't rack up ETC's that are sometimes hard to use or I forget about. I travel for leisure mostly so spend my own money, and realize I am paying more than those on corp discounts.

But with First Class on the way out what am I going to use my GPU's on when many of the tickets I buy are in P/Z/C/J class? It's sad to spend all this money when I could be in first on Lufthansa, but knowing you have ultimate priority in IRROPS and breezing through checkin/security at EWR rationalizes my behavior to me.

UA (and DL) have turned their FF programs upside down and frankly I find it only fair that GS get a better shot at the spoils. What I don't understand, and I explain this to my friends, is that stick with one carrier and don't buy codeshare tickets. They rarely listen but they always come to me in a jam when they need a free ticket.

For GS consideration you have to fly UA metal with a UA flight number on 016 stock. Spend around $50k on B or higher and you should be good to go. For that dedication to an arguably inferior product hell yes GS members deserve every perk we get. Especially with the mind-blowingly horrendous coffee that is served - my biggest peeve of UA. I think there are a lot of flyers out there who spend more than me but don't make GS because they don't realize a 016 ticket on say LH metal doesn't count.

My final observation is that Mileage Plus has become a very complicated program to follow - I wish we could have a moratorium on changes for a few years. Thankfully, there is FT

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 26, 2015 at 11:05 pm Reason: reformatted for easier reading
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by adambrau
For that dedication to an arguably inferior product hell yes GS members deserve every perk we get. Especially with the mind-blowingly horrendous coffee that is served - my biggest peeve of UA.
You know, there was a thread about the black/brown swill that UA passes off as coffee. Maybe it needs to re resurrected, as quality has NOT improved.

As to the first point (do wish you used to return key to separate paragraphs to make your post easier to read), yes GS do deserve to be treated special for putting up with inferior product ^

And even as former 1K I post as someone who has ZERO chance of ever making GS. Not .0000001%, zero.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:31 am
Suspended

I became GS in 2015 for the first time after being 1K for well over a decade. Partially I found that business or first wasn't always a whole lot more than H fares which I used to buy.

Secondly, I looked at how much I paid on change fees and unless I was about 90% sure I will actually fly a trip, I started to buy fares that were refundable or cancel-able minus a fee - so I didn't rack up ETC's that are sometimes hard to use or I forget about. I travel for leisure mostly so spend my own money, and realize I am paying more than those on corp discounts.

But with First Class on the way out what am I going to use my GPU's on when many of the tickets I buy are in P/Z/C/J class? It's sad to spend all this money when I could be in first on Lufthansa, but knowing you have ultimate priority in IRROPS and breezing through checkin/security at EWR rationalizes my behavior to me.

UA (and DL) have turned their FF programs upside down and frankly I find it only fair that GS get a better shot at the spoils. What I don't understand, and I explain this to my friends, is that stick with one carrier and don't buy codeshare tickets. They rarely listen but they always come to me in a jam when they need a free ticket.

For GS consideration you have to fly UA metal with a UA flight number on 016 stock. Spend around $50k on B or higher and you should be good to go. For that dedication to an arguably inferior product hell yes GS members deserve every perk we get. Especially with the mind-blowingly horrendous coffee that is served - my biggest peeve of UA. I think there are a lot of flyers out there who spend more than me but don't make GS because they don't realize a 016 ticket on say LH metal doesn't count.

My final observation is that Mileage Plus has become a very complicated program to follow - I wish we could have a moratorium on changes for a few years. Thankfully, there is FT
you spend $50k of your own money to be GS and to buy premium product on UA? Have you tried other airlines? With $50k, you could probably get a heck of a lot more value from foreign airlines, or heck even AA or DL. I also think your equation of 90% as the cutoff for a refundable fare is way off - even if you threw your ETC's in the trash can.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:29 am Reason: unneeded personal comment removed
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
There are far more comped GS members than GS members that hit the revenue margins.
Exactly. No rational decision maker would choose to spend >$50k/yr on Jeff's pathetic airline. These days, GS is comped to corporations in exchange for volume commitments but those corporations force lowest fare travel so Jeff is stupidly giving away GS as a perk to secure a bucket of low-margin revenue. Even when these corporate flyers are in J, it's a discounted J.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
For GS consideration you have to fly UA metal with a UA flight number on 016 stock.
For GS you need to fly UA metal on a UA flight number, I don't know that it needs to be UA ticket stock. And this is where it gets really confusing, because that is different from PQD.

At any rate, can't you use PN inventory as an indication of possible R inventory to come? UA is not sending a message to anyone about 1K vs GS, most of the flying public, even at these status levels, are not clear either that they exist or what the difference may be.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
These days, GS is comped to corporations in exchange for volume commitments but those corporations force lowest fare travel so Jeff is stupidly giving away GS as a perk to secure a bucket of low-margin revenue.
Not that I'm by any means a defender of most of what UA does, but this does kind of make sense, if you think about it... You're rewarding someone who is bringing in low-margin business, but they're bringing in a big bucket of low-margin business.

Totally fits with UA's worldview to give GS to someone who will rarely use it, in exchange for a pile of several dozen or hundred business travelers, than to chase those pax individually. *shrug* Makes perfect business sense, in that they get to simultaneously devalue GS and whatever miles those business travelers fly, while keeping the decision makers (who thus do not have to suffer through the implications of their decisions) isolated from the impact!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Be Loyal to Yourself because UA is not goign to be Loyal to you!

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
But is it not like the 1K members are spending nothing. The message is we love ONLY GS and 1K is mud. I of course accept that GS are more valuable, but there is a continuing trend of treating them great and everyone else terrible

A GS member can upgrade from the PN bucket from any fare. No buyup, no high fare, just straight upgrade

I agree with you. 1K should be worth something to UA Even flying 150K last year, my $$$ with UA was not large enough. I took 6 people to Australia in February in paid BF, and of course, had issues with UA. As a 1K, we were treated like garbage by UA staff in HNL. Hence, when booking business travel for my staff or myself, we have moved away from using UA.

Unfortunately, UA has chosen to continually dilute the MP loyalty program, thanking you for your business. An example is the "Restore your past MP Premier status" program (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...omoCode=TB4M32) in which you don't even have to fly the required 100K miles to become 1K again. I'm glad UA made a profit last quarter. They may need it, when all of us wake up and start flying elsewhere. My advice, fly who is comfortable, and be loyal to yourself. UA is not going to be loyal to you.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not on ps and international routes, where this is seen often.
I don't think you get to be GS by buying W fares internationally and using your GPUs
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I don't think you get to be GS by buying W fares internationally and using your GPUs
No, but as I mentioned above, GS do take vacations from time to time. When they do, they'll find that upgrade to SYD, CDG, or FRA much easier to clear.

I'm not going to whine about that, I understand the business case. I do find the substantial disparity worthy of note though. If I had to guess, it's something like a 3/10 chance (1K) vs. a 9/10 chance (GS).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
UA (and DL) have turned their FF programs upside down and frankly I find it only fair that GS get a better shot at the spoils.
There is no debate about whether they should get a better shot at the spoils, the purpose of the thread was the level of inequality in it. PN9 vs R3 for example says that we have lots of space for GS members, and some space for 1K members. PN9 means that space isn't tight, but apparently too tight to give even a scrap from the table to 1K members. Remember, 1K is their highest published tier, and they treat it like they are second class citizens.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Nah, just based on the later. Whatever the real number is, it a much larger difference than the diff between Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K
My guess is that is not true. I bet the majority of GS cards are tossed in as perqs to get corporate contracts signed. That's because most GS benefits come at the cost of other customers, not United, so it's an easy sales add-on.

Whoops, sorry for the repetition, just saw that other folks have already made this point.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by tw747
I took 6 people to Australia in February in paid BF, and of course, had issues with UA. As a 1K, we were treated like garbage by UA staff in HNL. .
How did you get to Australia from Hawaii on United? I wasn't aware they flew from HNL to SYD or anywhere else in Australia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.