Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PN9 & R0: UA opening upgrades only to Global Services, message to other elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PN9 & R0: UA opening upgrades only to Global Services, message to other elites?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by StingWest
Probably, but I assume the number of 1K's is *much* larger than the number of GS. Even if only 1/4 of the 1K's spend much over $12,000, it doesn't take too many of these to equal the revenue of a $50,000+ GS.
Yeah, but we take up more space and pay a lot less (generally) per seat-mile. The value to UA of an average GS customer (well, the value of OPM usually represented by a GS customer) vs an average 1K customer is hardly debatable.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
So why not make the metric spend per mile? No doubt there are plenty of 1Ks who bring more to the bottom line than GS's in their city.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
We also need to factor in the nominated partner of the GS member who is more likely to use the GS upgrades if paying on their own dime.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Baze
UA is making boat (plane?) loads of money on ancillary income from the kettles and elites that buy up. This has more than made up for the loss of the "over entitled" Silver to 1K's that have left. For now anyways.
This is actually not even close to being true. United is getting trounced in revenue, the only reason they are making a profit is that fuel prices have imploded. If you run United's numbers based on last years fuel prices, they are barely making anything. They are being severely punished in margins compared to the others.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glx
It's quite simple:

It's not that GS'es don't use upgrades, but they're far less likely to use them on trips that would be a high-yield for UA, and yes, they are giving their most valuable customers a benefit on the rare occasions that they fly leisure..
There are far more comped GS members than GS members that hit the revenue margins.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
This is actually not even close to being true. United is getting trounced in revenue, the only reason they are making a profit is that fuel prices have imploded. If you run United's numbers based on last years fuel prices, they are barely making anything. They are being severely punished in margins compared to the others.
$5.7 Billion in 2013 in ancillary revenue (basically pure profit) means they are barely making anything? So they are losing that much money everywhere else that they are barely making any profit at all? And that was more than twice as much as the #2 airline in ancillary revenue. If that is even close to true Then the whole airline industry is on the verge of collapse.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

$5.7 Billion in 2013 in ancillary revenue (basically pure profit) means they are barely making anything? So they are losing that much money everywhere else that they are barely making any profit at all? And that was more than twice as much as the #2 airline in ancillary revenue. If that is even close to true Then the whole airline industry is on the verge of collapse.
You need to look at the entire pie. If you take all the revenue in, and deduct all the costs, they made the profit that you mentioned. If you were to charge fuel at the price it cost last year, United would only make a slight profit.

Therefore, they lost revenue in other places that is being made up for by the ancillary revenue.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by scruffair
This is a bit terrifying to me. Has UA truly warped your expectations this much?

Everything is relative. Of course GS are still spending more than you. But you are DEFINITELY a top revenue/profit driver for UA compared to most of their passengers! The question is: How broad or narrow an amount does an airline want to consider. UA clearly continues to narrow their consideration; so much so that you consider your 25K spend to not be worth that much to them.

Other airlines would be much happier to have that $25K that UA is. I'm just a Gold on DL (after 8 years of elite UA) but enjoying 60% upgrade rate, top reliability, amazing customer service and free booze on every flight just to name a few.

Everything is relative.
I don't consider my $25K worthless to them, but it's not worth as much as the person spending 3-5 times that amount. I have no quibble there. I pretty much never have to fly in coach, and I've pretty much always been well looked after, whether traveling alone or with family. As I mentioned in another thread, I've even had a GS agent drive me to the United Club and a connecting flight despite not being GS. I would love more, but I genuinely don't have a whole lot to complain about.

I'm fully willing to concede that my specific travel patterns (destinations, times, etc) may be a significant factor in my experience. Then again, I'm SFO based.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to look at the entire pie. If you take all the revenue in, and deduct all the costs, they made the profit that you mentioned. If you were to charge fuel at the price it cost last year, United would only make a slight profit.

Therefore, they lost revenue in other places that is being made up for by the ancillary revenue.
As I said, if they are only making a minimal profit because of the ancillary revenue, this does not bode well for the airline industry when the next downturn in the economy happens as all those kettles that provide most of the ancillary revenue will be gone. And if the airline that has alienated their elites the most and they have gone, then bye-bye airline or yet another government backed bankruptcy to stay viable.

But we are drifting beyond the scope of this thread so I will stop here.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Many of my upgrades don't clear immediately, but most ultimately do. I have 3 international trips all involving IAD-FRA coming up. The outbound all cleared early, most on booking. The returns are all waitlisted but there are few seats in C occcupied. I expect that the upgrades will clear. At times they haven't--but this is the game of upgrade roulette. I don't get mad at UA. On a domestic flight IAD-SFO, the return cleared on booking (with an RPU). The outbound looked more hazardous, but it cleared today, about two weeks before the flight.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
There are far more comped GS members than GS members that hit the revenue margins.
I sat next to a GS in F a couple of weeks ago who asked me "Do you know if United has wi-fi on their planes?" I was surprised (to say the least) but your statement perhaps makes sense of it.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by transportbiz
The valuation of hundreds of high spenders at the cost of thousands of 12K-20K spenders will be the undoing of United when the next economic downturn occurs. They simply won't be filling planes with kettles and GS members. And all those overentitled 1K cheepos as they are so often characterized here by GS members have gone to OAL's where their business and "paltry" spend is appreciated.
As I said, if they are only making a minimal profit because of the ancillary revenue, this does not bode well for the airline industry when the next downturn in the economy happens as all those kettles that provide most of the ancillary revenue will be gone. And if the airline that has alienated their elites the most and they have gone, then bye-bye airline or yet another government backed bankruptcy to stay viable.

But we are drifting beyond the scope of this thread so I will stop here.
Yeah, that's what I said early on in this thread.

Originally Posted by limey1K
I sat next to a GS in F a couple of weeks ago who asked me "Do you know if United has wi-fi on their planes?" I was surprised (to say the least) but your statement perhaps makes sense of it.
Of the GS people I've talked to standing in line to board, I would estimate less than half are frequent fliers.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 22, 2015 at 1:27 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
most 1k's only get #3, yet remain loyal. consider yourself lucky.
Well color me lucky too. All of my GPU/RPUs have cleared and I've only missed 1 CPU.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by TomMM
Well color me lucky too. All of my GPU/RPUs have cleared and I've only missed 1 CPU.
At your request you are so colored. I've not had a single CPU in over a year. GPUs and RPUs clear for me but only because I don't book in W unless the R inventory is confirmed at the time of booking.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you any details / data to support that statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.