Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PN9 & R0: UA opening upgrades only to Global Services, message to other elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PN9 & R0: UA opening upgrades only to Global Services, message to other elites?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmculp
The message is that GPUs, RPUs and miles are not intended to actually be able to be spent.
Pretty much. So far this year I have tried 15 [GR]PUs to upgrade domestic flights for family members (who range from Gold to 1K) and have seen 0 clear. While I completely understand that CPUs are just last minute fill-the-cabin deals these days, to give actual certs out with the implication that they are a valuable perq and see that kind of success rate even on merely domestic segments (and most were mid-cons, not even trans cons) makes them seem pretty silly.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Relative to GS, most are.
What's your data on that? Anecotally, I've got $49K PQD this year and 9 unused GPUs sitting in my account, with the other 3 waitlisted (and looking unlikely to clear) -- can't get it to clear anywhere.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Pretty much. So far this year I have tried 15 [GR]PUs to upgrade domestic flights for family members (who range from Gold to 1K) and have seen 0 clear. While I completely understand that CPUs are just last minute fill-the-cabin deals these days, to give actual certs out with the implication that they are a valuable perq and see that kind of success rate even on merely domestic segments (and most were mid-cons, not even trans cons) makes them seem pretty silly.
While my cert usage hasn't been as bad as yours, I am able to be a little flexible on when I travel, so I can often look and book accordingly to process the upgrade. On any situation where an upgrade was not available at ticketing, not once have they ever cleared including the time for PS JFK-SFO where at -2hrs the aircraft had 12 open seats (R0) J9 and was not even close to full in the back. There were at least 10 people ahead of me that were either 1K or GS, and not one person was upgraded, EVERY single seat went to a lowball buyup (I personally saw some at $129).

As always, it's their prerogative to sell like this, but in turn (as mention above) they should not tout the upgrades as being a perk of mileage plus as compared to other carriers and even compared to themselves in the past.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Well, GS's are spending more than 4X relative to a 1K so it does make sense that there is a large difference in their treatment. As for R0 PN9 J9, UA hopes that no one notices that GPU and RPUs just give you a "chance" of getting upgraded not a guaranteed upgrade.

I usually manage to use up all my GPU's and RPU's but that's being extremely flexible with my travel plans and spending lots and lots of time searching.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by eng3
Well, GS's are spending more than 4X relative to a 1K so it does make sense that there is a large difference in their treatment.
Did UA disclose this somewhere? Or is it just based of of the ~$50K GS expectation vs $12K 1K threshold.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Regarding GPUs, we've managed to use all 12 of ours. I think we've failed to clear just one flight, and we've even done a couple of mileage upgrades too which have cleared (K->R), so can definitely say, I'm not complaining.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Pretty much. So far this year I have tried 15 [GR]PUs to upgrade domestic flights for family members (who range from Gold to 1K) and have seen 0 clear.
Originally Posted by skycrab
Regarding GPUs, we've managed to use all 12 of ours.
It's all about route and booking flexibility.

I use mine (mostly TPAC), but if I had to fly specific routes on specific days, I'd surely be one of the unhappy campers, esp. ex-SFO.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'll be a $25K 1K this year. While 1K isn't what it was 15 years ago, I continue to receive excellent service, support, and ability to redeem my instruments and miles on a consistent basis. Exceptions are very rare. Of course, I want more - I personally feel UA should have an "auto-upgrade cricketer to the highest class of service available on any airline of his choice from any fare class on any other airline" policy. However, that might be asking a bit much.

More than that, when we travel with the kids, the service and support has always been fantastic.

Given that I'm not a top revenue or profit driver and pointedly second tier for the business, it's hard to complain too much. To be fair though, I also fiddle a bit with routings and dates where possible in order to help upgrades.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
The valuation of hundreds of high spenders at the cost of thousands of 12K-20K spenders will be the undoing of United when the next economic downturn occurs. They simply won't be filling planes with kettles and GS members. And all those overentitled 1K cheepos as they are so often characterized here by GS members have gone to OAL's where their business and "paltry" spend is appreciated.

Last edited by transportbiz; Aug 21, 2015 at 5:41 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's all about route and booking flexibility.

I use mine (mostly TPAC), but if I had to fly specific routes on specific days, I'd surely be one of the unhappy campers, esp. ex-SFO.
Correct.

I have never failed to clear GPU on Tue/Wed/Thu TPAC, but I have flexibility.

If you have to fly SFO-HKG or EWR-HKG or ORD-NRT on Saturday, good luck with GPU.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by cmculp
The message is that GPUs, RPUs and miles are not intended to actually be able to be spent.
Yep. bait and switch. Bust your butt and spend to get RPU's and try to buy an R available ticket and guess what? Nothing!

United
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Did UA disclose this somewhere? Or is it just based of of the ~$50K GS expectation vs $12K 1K threshold.
Nah, just based on the later. Whatever the real number is, it a much larger difference than the diff between Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
But is it not like the 1K members are spending nothing. The message is we love ONLY GS and 1K is mud. I of course accept that GS are more valuable, but there is a continuing trend of treating them great and everyone else terrible ...

Wake up- we are the silent majority of over entitled people!
Buying V & W instead of K is what we deserve.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 21, 2015 at 12:48 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:04 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
What message? Where is there a "loud and clear" hidden message except to people on FT who know about these fare buckets?

To most of the flying world, no one is reading these fare codes. They buy what they buy and decide whether they liked it based on what they get.

Yes, the airline is making instant upgrades available to people who buy full fares.

No, the airline has not taken away anything that it promised, from 1Ks. There is no promise of what amount of upgrade space "should" be available. As the disclaimer says, you should not use knowledge of these fare buckets to blame the airline for anything, or expect anything. When the flight gets closer, the seats will be released if warranted, as was always the case. You just want that to happen earlier.

Buy based on what you see, not what you expect, is the new mantra.

Is that unreasonable? Would you be happier if they hid the availability and couldn't read into the "message they're sending to elites"? Complain enough, and maybe that will incentivize them to do so.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I suspect the message they want to send--which is also consistent with the TODs, etc--is that upgrades should be viewed as a nice occasional freebie, but if you know you want a first class seat, you should buy one when you purchase your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.