Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PN9 & R0: UA opening upgrades only to Global Services, message to other elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PN9 & R0: UA opening upgrades only to Global Services, message to other elites?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by glx
It's quite simple:

If a GS uses instruments to upgrade regularly, they are highly unlikely to hit GS again the following year.

It's not that GS'es don't use upgrades, but they're far less likely to use them on trips that would be a high-yield for UA, and yes, they are giving their most valuable customers a benefit on the rare occasions that they fly leisure.

If there was some miraculous change to make 1K's the equivalent of GS'es in the program, they wouldn't make it R9. They'd make it PN0 and everyone loses.

I don't see anyone championing moving Silver into the ability to book E+ in advance - like any rewards program, there are tiers, and benefits for those tiers. Welcome to the real world.
Not following the logic here. PN availability is a frequently used benefit for GS. The notion that GS is a group of customers who only buy front cabin fares is pretty far from reality.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: None - previously UA
People who moan about going 0 for 15 etc trying to upgrade on instruments are doing exactly what UA wants. You are proof that they can have their cake and eat it too. Mileage+ is just a marketing tool these days, delivering very little of what is promised. Giving them your continued business sends a message you are ok with them selling TOD's while you spend $20k plus a year. I don't really have much sympathy the writing has been on the wall for several years now, so it's probably time to stop complaining.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
People who moan about going 0 for 15 etc trying to upgrade on instruments are doing exactly what UA wants. You are proof that they can have their cake and eat it too. Mileage+ is just a marketing tool these days, delivering very little of what is promised. Giving them your continued business sends a message you are ok with them selling TOD's while you spend $20k plus a year. I don't really have much sympathy the writing has been on the wall for several years now, so it's probably time to stop complaining.
Actually since that 0 for 15 was, I think, me above - no. You perhaps missed that I have flown 0 (that's none) UA miles nor given them any revenue since last year nor do I have any current plans on the horizon that would require me to fly them. The certs I have are from being a lifetime 1K and I have tried to use them for others in my family ranging from Gold to 1K for trips they had booked. Meanwhile I have bought (real money) quite a few business and first class tickets on other airlines on routes that would have been equally flyable with UA. So even as a 1K and all the (non) perqs that come with that today I prefer to fly other airlines. At least in my case the UA strategy is most certainly losing them very profitable business.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Actually since that 0 for 15 was, I think, me above - no. You perhaps missed that I have flown 0 (that's none) UA miles nor given them any revenue since last year nor do I have any current plans on the horizon that would require me to fly them. The certs I have are from being a lifetime 1K and I have tried to use them for others in my family ranging from Gold to 1K for trips they had booked. Meanwhile I have bought (real money) quite a few business and first class tickets on other airlines on routes that would have been equally flyable with UA. So even as a 1K and all the (non) perqs that come with that today I prefer to fly other airlines. At least in my case the UA strategy is most certainly losing them very profitable business.
Not sure what your situation is, but if you're a lifetime 1k and still fly a lot, have you considered that extra MM to lifetime GS? Based on the content of this thread, that may be worth it
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by Beerman92
Not following the logic here. PN availability is a frequently used benefit for GS. The notion that GS is a group of customers who only buy front cabin fares is pretty far from reality.
You've hit the nail on the head there. UA makes PN available, because they know it won't be utilized (not by those who earn it by spend), they withhold R inventory because it will be utilized.

The benefit is pretty much only utilized by comped GS members or designated GS members. Who don't fly often.

It would be pretty hard to qualify for GS without buying front cabin. You could do it by buying full-fare Y, but you'd be pretty foolish to do so most of the time because FC is often cheaper.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet a lot of companies forbid buying front cabin but will allow full fare coach tickets. Even if the F fare is cheaper. Why? Because behind the scenes those corporate full fare coach tickets are often cheaper than the F with the negotiated discounts.

Last edited by Baze; Aug 23, 2015 at 2:07 pm Reason: Fixed auto correct typo
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportbiz
The benefit is pretty much only utilized by comped GS members or designated GS members. Who don't fly often.
Hmmm . . . I believe GS do take vacation from time to time. For example, I recall fielding questions from GS taking their families to Hawaii and using RPUs for the upgrade. Or the GS I sat next to on ps who commented on how instruments allowed her to take her entire family to Australia in business class.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hmmm . . . I believe GS do take vacation from time to time. For example, I recall fielding questions from GS taking their families to Hawaii and using RPUs for the upgrade. Or the GS I sat next to on ps who commented on how instruments allowed her to take her entire family to Australia in business class.
It was an observation I think can be applied in general, it was not intended as an absolute. GS members do buy flights with their own money, that would certainly be one of those many exceptions.

My general point is that GS members will most often have had to buy FC or full Y in order to qualify based on spend. For sure many companies don't allow FC purchases. Some do for upper C suite execs.

Last edited by transportbiz; Aug 23, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
I have seen quite a few international flights showing PN9 R0
I have seen those situation turn into some R1++, closer in to the dpt date. This on overseas flights though, domestic availability often does not follow this pattern.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: 1K
The whole premise of this thread is off. I am 1k and have flown in PN in likely > 90% of my flights over the last few months. This isn't directed toward GS ... just anyone that spends a ton of money!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hookthem
The whole premise of this thread is off. I am 1k and have flown in PN in likely > 90% of my flights over the last few months. This isn't directed toward GS ... just anyone that spends a ton of money!
Sorry, the premise of your comment is off. Sounds like you fly only domestic, non ps routes.

The only way to get into PN on a BusinessFirst route is if you're GS (or as beneficiary of a GS instrument).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Sorry, the premise of your comment is off. Sounds like you fly only domestic, non ps routes.

The only way to get into PN on a BusinessFirst route is if you're GS (or as beneficiary of a GS instrument).
Actually, I have a few segments that were Y,B instant upgrade to PN on EWR-SFO route purchased before the announcement of the switch of PS to EWR. Those segments are still PN in BusinessFirst on what are now PS flights, and I'm not GS.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Actually, I have a few segments that were Y,B instant upgrade to PN on EWR-SFO route purchased before the announcement of the switch of PS to EWR. Those segments are still PN in BusinessFirst on what are now PS flights, and I'm not GS.
That's because the route did not become BF until after you cleared into PN. If you purchase a Y/B/M on those flights today, you cannot instant upgrade into PN. As you are well aware.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
That's because the route did not become BF until after you cleared into PN. If you purchase a Y/B/M on those flights today, you cannot instant upgrade into PN. As you are well aware.
Absolutely. Just being pedantically correct.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: 1K

Hmm... post #1 was talking about transcon. Perhaps in a later post he/she was talking exclusively PS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.