Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why no nonstops from IAD hub to South Florida (FLL/MIA)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by aoumd
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Flights full of low yield fares are not necessarily profitable.
Intentionally or not, you have answered the question more accurately than anyone else in this thread.

The only qualifier I would add: Sometimes, a route is deemed 'strategic', in which case UA will sacrifice yield to maintain their dominant position.

Clearly, IAD-FLL/MIA are not strategic.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Intentionally or not, you have answered the question more accurately than anyone else in this thread.

The only qualifier I would add: Sometimes, a route is deemed 'strategic', in which case UA will sacrifice yield to maintain their dominant position.

Clearly, IAD-FLL/MIA are not strategic.
Also, looking at the supposed market for a product is only one part of the analysis. You also have to look at who is competing to sell that product.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by physioprof
Also, looking at the supposed market for a product is only one part of the analysis. You also have to look at who is competing to sell that product.
Correct. And right now, AA offers a better product from DCA to Florida and the Caribbean.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
UA flew IAD-FLL up until or just past May 2014.

On May 3rd, 2014, I flew UA on IAD-FLL: United First Class with the Pre-Merger 757-200s of United Airlines FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL

PMUA 757-200

-LPDAL
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold

I fly BUF-EWR-FLL regularly and would welcome the IAD-FLL option. I remember the Ted flights and rejoiced at the merger when EWR-FLL opened up. The EWR-FLL flights I take Thursday nights are usually delayed, tho, and as a 1K my uogrades clear about 50% of the time.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:36 pm

I flew it six times in 2014. Flight was full every time. Often connecting traffic from Europe to. I'm very surprised they dropped it. Can't even get a CR700.

As an add-on, they also fly from Washington to Orlando four times a day.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:07 pm

UA runs from competition. AA has hubs at both ends (DCA & MIA), WN has major ops at both ends (BWI & FLL), and the other carriers have significantly lower costs. Global traffic in/out of South Florida can flow through EWR, ORD and IAH. UA won't fight hard for the local DC market.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by whlinder
UA runs from competition. AA has hubs at both ends (DCA & MIA), WN has major ops at both ends (BWI & FLL), and the other carriers have significantly lower costs. Global traffic in/out of South Florida can flow through EWR, ORD and IAH. UA won't fight hard for the local DC market.

The niche United could have hoped to plausibly serve -- intl traffic coming from Europe/Mideast heading to FL -- increasingly heads straight to Florida from abroad.

Look at the proliferation of longhaul flights to Miami (and FLL, in the leisure market) in recent years. That international growth, as much as anything occurring with domestic carriers, kills off marginal routes like IAD-MIA/FLL.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aoumd
Yes, they're looking at OAL for this trip. I was just really surprised to see a carrier with a fortress hub in the DC area has nothing to South Florida.
UA has been making a lot of service cuts at IAD, shifting routes and frequency to EWR.

It's not just Florida.

It's a little sad for folks based at IAD, ya.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
The bigger picture is IAD tends to struggle vs DCA in domestic routes within the DCA perimeter.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:10 pm

I wonder if UA will cut IAD-ATL or IAD-DFW next? How well does it do on those routes?

It seems Delta has the advantage into/out of ATL, AA into/out DFW similar like AA into/out of MIA, there is plenty of ULCC/LCC competition at DCA and BWI where UA isn't participating with nonstops, and UA can route global traffic from those competitor hub markets though EWR, ORD and IAH similarly.

And do Boston pax fly routes like BOS-IAD-Europe? What's the benefit for that route? I'd think most would not like that backtrack, but at the same time I can't see UA giving up IAD-BOS to JetBlue exclusively. It likely won't even give up on CLE-BOS.

Last edited by rtalk25; Jul 26, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
It's nonetheless very odd. Miami is the third largest air travel market from D.C., after Boston and Chicago. You'd think UA could make something work.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by MAH4546
It's nonetheless very odd. Miami is the third largest air travel market from D.C., after Boston and Chicago. You'd think UA could make something work.
I agree.

I know that United runs from competition. I now that EWR and IAH (and maybe, ORD and to some extent SFO) are favored because they are fortress hubs. I know that UA has reduced service at SEA and LAX to the point that these airports are little more than the ends of spokes from the hubs.

But, at IAD they are even pulling out of airports at the end of a hub spoke- even for flights to/from international connections. Not having service from a hub to a major market (even on an Express partner) is unbelievable.

I guess those who believe that United will retrench to only IAH and EWR may be correct.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I agree.

I know that United runs from competition. I now that EWR and IAH (and maybe, ORD and to some extent SFO) are favored because they are fortress hubs. I know that UA has reduced service at SEA and LAX to the point that these airports are little more than the ends of spokes from the hubs.

But, at IAD they are even pulling out of airports at the end of a hub spoke- even for flights to/from international connections. Not having service from a hub to a major market (even on an Express partner) is unbelievable.

I guess those who believe that United will retrench to only IAH and EWR may be correct.
The best we can hope for is that another airline/airlines come into IAD and give them competition. When Indy Air did it a decade ago, United crushed them. Today, with Jeffie at the helm, I suspect he'll run away from IAD as soon as he can.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I think it's telling that no airline, including LCCs, operates IAD-FLL today (several tried and failed). A whopping 2 daily flights from AA to MIA confirms the market to South Florida is not out of IAD, but DCA and BWI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.