Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why no nonstops from IAD hub to South Florida (FLL/MIA)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no nonstops from IAD hub to South Florida (FLL/MIA)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Amazingly enough, FLL is 100% mainline to EWR, IAH, DEN (seasonally), ORD, and SFO. I can't think of another station in which the entire operation is mainline, and we've got a club!

The downside is that CLE and IAD are gone.

Originally Posted by fly747first
True. FLL -JFK is one of jetBlue's most profitable routes.
However, there are more carriers than you can think of on South Florida to New York. It's a huge bloodbath, and way over-saturated.

-LPDAL
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:42 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
If you exclude the mostly intrastate connections of Silver Air, TPA is also all mainline (EWR-IAH-ORD-DEN-IAD). Now if we only had a club......
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I guess UA would rather cover MIA from a distance through FLL than compete directly W/ AA? If FLL is all mainline as LPDAL noted then it is clearly working for them.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
The interesting thing was that when US was in *A, early every time I wanted to fly PVD-FLL/MIA, .bomb would kick out PVD-PHL-FLL/MIA, PVD-CLT-FLL/MIA and PVD-DCA-FLL/MIA over any UA option that was routed through EWR or IAD.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan
If you exclude the mostly intrastate connections of Silver Air, TPA is also all mainline (EWR-IAH-ORD-DEN-IAD). Now if we only had a club......
Silver Airways is an independent regional airline and cannot be counted as UA, much like Great Lakes, even though some of their flights are erroneously entered into SHARES as UAX instead of the correct 3M (IATA) or SIL (ICAO).

As for having a club, CO had plans to build one at TPA (remember, the club at FLL is a former CO lounge), the space can be seen here:

Last trip report of High School (27) United First Class to a Night in Portland, Maine

It's actually a pilot lounge now, I believe, SIDA required.

Originally Posted by Madone59
I guess UA would rather cover MIA from a distance through FLL than compete directly W/ AA? If FLL is all mainline as LPDAL noted then it is clearly working for them.
MIA has limited UAX ops but yes, FLL is the main station for UA and yes, at this time it is all mainline--last time we had UAX was an ERJ-145 to CLE back in October which was soon cut altogether.

All pictures by me:

LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing

For right now, it is all A319/20 and 737-7/8/9. During the fast season we'll get the PMCO 752s and 753s in, such as during Spring Break or the holiday season, etc.

-LPDAL
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The only good reason for flying all the way from Dulles to Houston to get to South Florida would be a mileage run. That is the long way to get down there.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just want to put things from a historical perspective:

When I first started flying UA back in 1991 and through out of the 90s, I was living in Miami. PMUA ran four daily flights between Miami and DC Metro.

There was the inherited Pan Am legacy route MIA-DCA-MIA.

MIA-IAD-MIA had three daily flights using a combination of 777/767/757 pending on seasonal adjustments. Of course, PMUA was the second largest operator at MIA at that time and used MIA as its Latin America hub.

Some of the old timers will remember the "best" United Red Carpet Club at the time was in MIA. It was the first Red Carpet Club to serve real food and self-poured open bar all day long.

Time as changed.......
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I second the club wish! If only...

Also, I thought we were all mainline until I came across a few E70 flights on the weekends to EWR and IAH. Not sure how often they operate but last Saturday when I was picking someone up at the airport I noticed 3 of the 5 frequencies to EWR that day were RJ. Thankfully it only seems to mostly be a Saturday thing (for now). Slightly OT, but we have a great group of mainline agents at TPA and hopefully our flight volume remains steady or increases to keep it that way...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by LPDAL
For right now, it is all A319/20 and 737-7/8/9. During the fast season we'll get the PMCO 752s and 753s in, such as during Spring Break or the holiday season, etc.

-LPDAL
Rarely does FLL see UA 757 anymore. They were quite common in 2013 from EWR. Flew on sUa variant in 4/13 with BOS crew on EWR to FLL. We had an A320 returning which came in from CLE

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2015 at 9:04 pm Reason: deleted superfluous images in quote - please be judicious in quoting images
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Rarely does FLL see UA 757 anymore. They were quite common in 2013 from EWR. Flew on sUa variant in 4/13 with BOS crew on EWR to FLL. We had an A320 returning which came in from CLE
You'll see them show up in the booking system around spring break time -- I was looking through the RES for some United reservations for back in April / March / February 2015 and found several days where flat bed 752s were on FLL-EWR:

Ironically, on my CMH trip, I didn't get a PMCO flat bed 752 on FLL-EWR, but I did get one on MCO-IAH--ended up flying FLL-MCO-IAH-CMH-EWR-FLL (340/752/170/400/320) :

-LPDAL
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Just want to put things from a historical perspective:

When I first started flying UA back in 1991 and through out of the 90s, I was living in Miami. PMUA ran four daily flights between Miami and DC Metro.

There was the inherited Pan Am legacy route MIA-DCA-MIA.

MIA-IAD-MIA had three daily flights using a combination of 777/767/757 pending on seasonal adjustments. Of course, PMUA was the second largest operator at MIA at that time and used MIA as its Latin America hub.

Some of the old timers will remember the "best" United Red Carpet Club at the time was in MIA. It was the first Red Carpet Club to serve real food and self-poured open bar all day long.

Time as changed.......
I have a 2001 timetable,and UA used to run a 727 DCA-MIA around 6pm.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by United_727
I have a 2001 timetable,and UA used to run a 727 DCA-MIA around 6pm.
One of the favorite routes on United. I used to work in DC and lived in Miami, and that flight took me home!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:35 am

As UA is routing some of it's Europe oriented TATL traffic from FLL/MIA-EWR-Europe, could UA steer that through IAD instead, while focusing more on O&D and domestic connections, and non overlapped markets, through EWR?

Last edited by rtalk25; Oct 23, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:58 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Originally Posted by aoumd

As an alternate measure, the DC Metro area is 5th in the nation for GDP, while MIA/FLL is 12th in the nation for GDP.
Living in both cities, I dispute the IAD even being in DC! BWI is closer to downtown DC. The dirty secret is unless somehow you are locked in the UAL mileage plus program nobody is going to spend $150 round trip on a cab, or an hour silver line and bus trip to IAD... Normal humans will just fly no stop from DCA. The flight is always about the same price as IAD plus or minus $20. My third house in TPA so I always price both options. Always spend the extra $20 and jut use DCA on AA. IAD really doesn't do outbound DC traffic. Its really a just a bad connection airport ala Cleveland, or Cincinnati. And likely will suffer same de hubbed fate. Every time I fly through I notice only 2 1/2 of the five departure boards have flights... there's your clue.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:00 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Vulcan, long time no talk. Hate to burst the bubble... but they are now flying crop dusters out of TPA, the e70 goes to EWR and IAH on some routes. UAL hates Florida as a market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.