Wiki Posts
Search

Return via EWR or IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by gpicur
EWR is the ONLY Port of Entry in the USA that charges arriving international passengers to use the baggage trolleys.
Where did you get that? I have seen luggage carts for $$$ at EWR, JFK, MIA, and others

Last edited by joshwex90; Jun 29, 2015 at 8:11 am Reason: not SFO!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Where did you get that? I have seen luggage carts for $$$ at EWR, JFK, SFO, MIA, and others
Not at SFO int'l arrivals. They are free for arriving international pax. This is a welcome amenity paid for by the airport commission. Pay in domestic.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not at SFO int'l arrivals. They are free for arriving international pax. This is a welcome amenity paid for by the airport commission. Pay in domestic.
Only ever arrived domestic but figured it was the same setup. Corrected. But still have seen at JFK and MIA (and I'm sure other airports, just never actively looked)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AADULtArer

The Midfield Immigrations, Customs and Security Re-Check at IAD can get horrifically backed up for non-GE passengers, especially early in the AM and around 2pm to 5pm.
The Immigration and Customs are GE friendly, but the re-check has no Premier, GE, PreCheck or any other line - its communist class except for flight crew.

I did see a DYKWIA take the flight crew line this week, walk past 6 layer of snake and then try to join the re-check line near the security - and people called him on it, and, to their credit, TSA sent him back.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:53 am

I vote IAD. If not only for the fact that it has a lot more flight capacity during poor weather. Once you've cleared CBP, your onward flight has a lot better chance of leaving on time at IAD. Multiple runways with adequate IFR spacing allows things to keep moving at IAD when they would grind to halt at EWR.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Only ever arrived domestic but figured it was the same setup. Corrected. But still have seen at JFK and MIA (and I'm sure other airports, just never actively looked)
Josh, the last time I arrived at MIA International Baggage Claim (May 2010) the baggage carts were free.

Generally it is the prevaling practice for world class airports to provide arriving international passengers with free baggage trolleys. I have arrived at the International Arrivals Sections at BOS, ATL, IAD, SFO, ORD, DEN and EWR and only EWR charges arriving INTERNATIONAL passengers for the baggage carts. My experience is that None of the International hubs in Europe: FRA, LHR, MUC, MXP, BUD, VIE, ZRH, GVA, Africa: CAI, ADD, JNB, NBO or Asia: DXB, AUH, KWI, BAH, DMM, NRT, BKK, KHI, ISB, DEL, KTM and MCT charge arriving INTERNATIONAL passengers for baggage trolleys.

If you think about it, it reflects poorly on a community to jack up arriving international visitors for using a baggage trolley.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you think about it, it reflects poorly on a community to jack up arriving international visitors for using a baggage trolley.
When SFO's new international terminal opened, they initially charged for carts. It became a public issue . . . Herb Caen rallied for free carts and then-Mayor Dianne Feinstein ordered they be put in.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Josh, the last time I arrived at MIA International Baggage Claim (May 2010) the baggage carts were free.

Generally it is the prevaling practice for world class airports to provide arriving international passengers with free baggage trolleys. I have arrived at the International Arrivals Sections at BOS, ATL, IAD, SFO, ORD, DEN and EWR and only EWR charges arriving INTERNATIONAL passengers for the baggage carts. My experience is that None of the International hubs in Europe: FRA, LHR, MUC, MXP, BUD, VIE, ZRH, GVA, Africa: CAI, ADD, JNB, NBO or Asia: DXB, AUH, KWI, BAH, DMM, NRT, BKK, KHI, ISB, DEL, KTM and MCT charge arriving INTERNATIONAL passengers for baggage trolleys.

I agree that baggage carts should be free. Especially international where you're forced to use them if you have a lot of luggage. In theory, when landing domestic, someone can meet you there and help you.
And I don't recall ever seeing carts cost money outside the USA, at least not in LHR, FCO, BCN, MAD, TLV, ORY, ZRH, BRU, and the myriad of other airports I've used in Europe.

No argument on that front!

I'm simply saying that EWR isn't the only one in the USA that charges international arriving pax for the use of luggage carts (tacky as it might be). JFK does (I believe also SmartCarte) and MIA does, at least the last time I was there which was after 2010. This certainly implies that's still the case: http://www.miami-airport.com/services_and_amenities.asp and this implies that the system did indeed change from being free to costing $5: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...&f=5&t=1506322

When departing EWR, they cost money as well though they are generally free in the parking lot as people don't return them.

Stupid system, but not the only one in the US. No idea what the setup is at IAD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.