Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL 2h 20m turn at ORD: UA949 >> UA952, can United execute?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

Someone in Willis ops center thinks they can turn UA 949 into UA 952 tomorrow without blowing the schedule.

949 arrives ORD at 3:15 pm.

952 departs at 5:35 pm.

Do you think that they can unload, clear customs, tow the plane from Intl. terminal to Terminal 1, cater, fuel, board, and depart in 2 hours, 20 minutes?

I'll be able to give a firsthand report - but am happy to hear what the sages predict will happen.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by transportprof
Do you think that they can unload, clear customs, tow the plane from Intl. terminal to Terminal 1, cater, fuel, board, and depart in 2 hours, 20 minutes?
Easily.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Easily.
I didn't see any signs of sarcasm in your concise reply, so I'll take heart that you think this is possible.

I have my doubts, but will be delighted to toast those who prove me wrong once they break out the libations on 952.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is pretty common. Let us know how things go.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
An airline with above-average, even average operations, wouldn't find that too difficult. But this is UA so anything goes.

Good luck!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by transportprof
I didn't see any signs of sarcasm in your concise reply, so I'll take heart that you think this is possible.
Indeed, I do.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
This is pretty common. Let us know how things go.
I've been keeping an eye on 952 for the past week, and most of the time it was turned from 929 or 908, providing > 4 hours to get the aircraft ready for departure.

Of course, that didn't stop a series of mechanical delays and one particularly bad night when they returned to the gate and cancelled after midnight.

Who knows, maybe if they keep the aircraft cycling faster, there will be less downtime for things to break ?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That exact same aircraft was turned around in less than 2 hours for an early departure only a few days ago in LHR.

Yes, that didn't include a tow between terminals, but even with the tow, 2 hours 20 mins is very, very realistic.

Of course, whether UA can actually manage to get their ducks in enough of a line in this particular case to make it happen is a different question altogether...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by docbert
That exact same aircraft was turned around in less than 2 hours for an early departure only a few days ago in LHR.

Yes, that didn't include a tow between terminals, but even with the tow, 2 hours 20 mins is very, very realistic.

Of course, whether UA can actually manage to get their ducks in enough of a line in this particular case to make it happen is a different question altogether...
Step one. They'll pull into the T5 gate and no one will be there to drive the jet bridge. What could possibly go wrong??
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:03 pm

Can they? Yes.

Will they.......? Their operational performance on a daily basis puts a lot of doubt on a positive outcome.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Took off more than an hour after scheduled block out, should be in half an hour late. #flyer_friendly
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mduell
Took off more than an hour after scheduled block out, should be in half an hour late. #flyer_friendly
The flight in question isn't due to leave LHR for another 6 1/2 hours. The inbound flight from EWR to LHR is currently due to arrive 10 minutes early.

I would guess you had the wrong day, but Sunday's 949 departed 14 minutes late and arrived 6 minutes late, so I have no idea what you're referring to...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by docbert
The flight in question isn't due to leave LHR for another 6 1/2 hours. The inbound flight from EWR to LHR is currently due to arrive 10 minutes early.

I would guess you had the wrong day, but Sunday's 949 departed 14 minutes late and arrived 6 minutes late, so I have no idea what you're referring to...

Another similar case is UA991 (CDG-SFO) and UA990(SFO-CDG). Normally UA991 arrives in SFO and 90 minutes later, goes back to CDG as UA990. There is no terminal change in SFO though.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
90 minutes is a fast but realistic time to turn a widebody if you have everything planned and lined up, perhaps a little longer for an A380 or a 747. I stayed on board a TK 777 when they cleaned, provisioned and re-fuelled for an onward tag flight and it wasn't even 90 minutes.

Of course ORD is an inefficient airport as planes depart from different terminals than where they arrive so that will waste half an hour or so.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What about :50 at EWR for a sCO 777??
Hoping my 90 min cnx at LHR doesn't turn into a mad dash because our inbound is scheduled to come in from PVG.
Yesterday it showed inbound from TLV so hopefully something gets updated or there's a lot of wind pushing along on both legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.