Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Pilot Diverts to Remove Autistic Child From Plane for Safety Reasons

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Martina70
How is it a sensitivity issue?

The FA didn't tell the reprimand the parents for having on the surface what seems like an out of control teen and that if they didn't get a handle on her, the plane would be diverted.

The FA didn't tell the parents "It's your fault for raising a 'picky eater'." or anything else to suggest an intolerance or ignorance relating to autism.

Their child was supposedly hungry- (although I suspect there were also plenty of other external factors that led to the child's melt down) and none of the food offerings that were available in their class either met their needs or satisfaction.

How is that, the fault of the airline?

Maybe the FA is generally a jerk or maybe they are the one of the best employee's United has but their reluctance to not pander to and break established rules and protocol to meet the expectations or needs of this family have little to do with autism over all.

Think you need to go back and read the articles and why it went out of control the way it did to begin with....

Rookie of the year? Goodness..is this the standards on this forum now days?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 15, 2015 at 5:29 pm Reason: Stay to the issues, not the posters
Old May 15, 2015, 6:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wolf72
Think you need to go back and read the articles and why it went out of control the way it did to begin with....

I did read the entire thread, in addition other sources.

Not even the mother's own account contradicts, that she said that if her daughter reached melt down mode, that she could lash out and scratch someone. That isn't hyperbole, that isn't diatribe coming from other passengers..or commentators, the mother said it. And once it's out there..she can't take it back.

The same way someone can't make a joke about having a bomb on a plane, then say 'heh, just kidding'. Just like someone in a subway uniform can't post on social media that that they are delighted that police officers were shot and killed- then become shocked once it becomes viral and they lose their jobs.

Unintentional consequences are just that.

You don't need to agree my opinion. The friends and family of the autistic community are divided on a number of issues, ranging from Jenny McCarthy, vaccination, H-bot therapy and 'recovery' , including THIS particular issue.

That doesn't make my POV ignorant or uninformed or make me deserving on a thinly veiled dig on your part or that those who appreciated my insight should be criticized as having low standards or expectations.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

Not even the mother's own account contradicts, that she said that if her daughter reached melt down mode, that she could lash out and scratch someone. That isn't hyperbole, that isn't diatribe coming from other passengers..or commentators, the mother said it. And once it's out there..she can't take it back.

The same way someone can't make a joke about having a bomb on a plane, then say 'heh, just kidding'. Just like someone in a subway uniform can't post on social media that that they are delighted that police officers were shot and killed- then become shocked once it becomes viral and they lose their jobs.

You don't need to agree my opinion. The friends and family of the autistic community are divided on a number of issues, ranging from Jenny McCarthy, vaccination, H-bot therapy and 'recovery' , including THIS particular issue.

That doesn't make my POV ignorant or uninformed or make me deserving on a thinly veiled dig on your part or that those who appreciated my insight should be criticized as having low standards or expectations.
I am sure that since you have been lurking you have seen that there are a number of people of FT who like to criticize everybody if they don't agree with them and many like to be belligerent. ignore them. Yes, you should get a rookie of the year Post award and your post was not only from someone that has first hand experience with autism but was well thought out and cogent. Perhaps that's what sets some people off. You have proved false their premises.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Thanks for your post, Martina. Just ignore the tweaks from those not addressing the issue...which is..

Any incident which escalates to where it interferes with the ability of the flight crew to perform their function will result, at some point, in the pilot diverting to nearest landing place.

The pilots job is to aviate, not call WebMD about possible spectrum of response of condition Y. The pilot has to make this call based on the information flow over the intercom. In the ancient days, they would come back in full uniform in flight and tell the parties to behave. 911 changed that of course. Threatening a crew with violence either directly or, in this case, by proxy, will ground you really quickly.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by cruisr
I am sure that since you have been lurking you have seen that there are a number of people of FT who like to criticize everybody if they don't agree with them and many like to be belligerent. ignore them. Yes, you should get a rookie of the year Post award and your post was not only from someone that has first hand experience with autism but was well thought out and cogent. Perhaps that's what sets some people off. You have proved false their premises.
I must agree with cursir here. Many thanks to Martina for such a REASONABLE POST.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I truly appreciate all the support. Thank you all again for the kind words.

It was never my intention to come out of nowhere and try to ruffle anyones feathers or cause any discourse on the forum. I only had hoped to provide some personal perspective about some of the challenges that parents of special needs children face, in this instance it's autism.

Special needs being met are something that are meant coupled with between that of the recipient/parent/caregiver and with the service provider.

We all can debate back and forth about what we personally feel is reasonable accommodation, but there is no provision (at least that I am aware of under ADA or ACAA law) that says HOT meals need to be provided on demand.

And as I have said before, a HOT meal is NOT a necessity for people with autism. It could just as easily be a turn off. Temperature, color, texture, smell are things that are variables; acceptance and resistance of which can only reasonably be anticipated by those who are personally familiar with that individual.

Teaching FA on United that children/adults with sensory processing and feeding issues aren't just being picky, doesn't create an abundance of food selection that they in the moment are able to provide. Nor is literally 'catering' to meet the likes or dislikes of every passenger a viable option.

Regardless, of how or why the other commenter feels how is matter escalated, it became moot once the girls mother told the FA that her child posed a threat to the safety of others.

Last edited by Martina70; May 15, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
I can't figure out from all the posts: did the girl actually EAT the hot meal?
Old May 15, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I truly appreciate all the support. Thank you all again for the kind words.

It was never my intention to come out of nowhere and try to ruffle anyones feathers or cause any discourse on the forum. I only had hoped to provide some personal perspective about some of the challenges that parents of special needs children face, in this instance it's autism.
Thank you for your post and insights, and I hope we see/read more from you in other threads as well.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Autism is a medical condition. If something like this happened on one of my flights I would consult MedLink, and dispatch, prior to making a decision regarding diverting. MedLink's services are more comprehensive than just medical emergencies.
This wasn't a medical issue. The diversion was because of the mother's threat.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I hate to side with UA and oversensitive crews who opt for diversion for questionable reasons .... but in this case UA simply followed long established protocol.

Threatening other pax with bodily harm is a 100% no-go on a US carrier, especially on domestic routes. Even I as an ignorant European know this, so I find it very hard to believe that a zealous activist would have missed that crucial standard.

It seems that the mother that uttered the thread was the spoiled child who always got away with her victim narrative and now got burnt when she resorted to the quite horrendous tactics of using her daughter in need as a weapon. I pity that teenager being drawn into this ugly episode in such a role.

And nothing good will come from this. A lawsuit against UA has no base whatsoever - if they discriminated against them they would not have let them board in the first place, not loose 10s of thousands of dollars in a diversion. And UA will very likely not collect from the family either. So the stage is prepped for the next incident involving the daughter .
Old May 15, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello everyone, I am a long time lurker, especially in the trip reports section. I have never posted before because I seldom get to travel so I never felt that I have anything to contribute to the discussion; although I do love to do so vicariously, especially reading about luxurious first class experiences and 5 star accommodations.
You shouldn't post any more--there's no way you'll consistently match the home run you just scored with this post and you wouldn't want your average post quality to decline, would you?!

I definitely second this. I've got dietary issues that can be a pain at times. I never make it someone else's problem, though. If the provided food is unsuitable I make other arrangements. The last TPAC flight I was on I ate a couple of bites of the airline food and the same couple of bites off my wife's tray. Otherwise I ate what I brought.

There have been times on business trips where food that I couldn't eat was included in training--I went off and got my own and it did not go on my expense report. The only person I'm willing to inconvenience about it is my wife and I try to minimize the issue even there--I encourage her to eat out with others when I can't accompany her because there would be nothing at all for me.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by wolf72

Yes.

I've been around here for about 16 years.

I can't recall in that time a first post that was so well thought out and well articulated.

Agree or disagree, it was a well-crafted, polite post.

Frankly, few posts (including my own, even after 16 years) rise to that standard.

Greg
Old May 15, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Thank you for your post and insights, and I hope we see/read more from you in other threads as well.
+1
Please do keep participating Martina70. You haven't ruffled feathers. Your post was completely appropriate. Some of the personal posts in this thread are not, but we have great moderators in this forum that are on top of it.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL

Thank you for such a thoughtful. compelling post. This can be a tough audience, but thank you for holding your ground. It was persuasive.

Oh, and welcome!
Old May 16, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond and MM, UA 1K, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This wasn't a medical issue. The diversion was because of the mother's threat.
I had that position earlier, but learned that the pilot did consult MedAire and then made a decision to land. Apparently MedAire can provide a broader range of information than strictly "medical" related.

Which is good to know that pilots have that available. More information leads to better decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.