Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WN Widens 737 Y Seats for More Comfort - Will UA Follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Widens 737 Y Seats for More Comfort - Will UA Follow?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
I've flown slimlines for a long time, technically VX has them, and so does LH, BA, LX and many others, I've never found the others as horrible as UA's slimlines, I don't know what they did to make them so awful.

I was glancing at Norwegian recently, the much berated lost cost carrier, and notice even they offer a 31-32" pitch on the 787. For the past 5 years, United has benchmarked the cheapest, least liked airlines, on all but fare.

Last edited by transportbiz; Oct 9, 2015 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:28 am
Suspended

The cabin is only so wide, so whether it's WN claiming to keep wide seats on the 739 or BA claiming to widen seats on 787, they're just reshuffling deck chairs. The cabins didn't magically become wider.

As for the 31" vs. 32" issue, for any flyer displaying some levels of loyalty, they're entitled to free/early-access to 34-35" Y+, and for flyers displaying very high levels of loyalty, potentially free upgrades to 38" F as well. To me, the 31 vs. 32 debate is just a kettle issue.

All that being said, I agree the 319/320 slimlines are horrendous (hope they have plans to rectify that poor decision), but the E75 / 739 slimlines are quite acceptable. I recently flew on DL 738 using regular padded seats and they were no better than UA 739.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sydneyair
To me, the 31 vs. 32 debate is just a kettle issue.

Yeah...definitely no need to consider the travel experience for the vast majority of passengers on a plane.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
UA has the same issue that all the legacies have, pretty well worldwide, with competing with LCCs. They have a bloated cost structure so the only way they can lower costs is to degrade the customer experience. Eventually it's degraded to such an extent that it's no better than, or even worse than, the LCCs...
The worldwide comparison falls a little flat -- most legacies outside the US place more emphasis on international service, and their short-haul / regional ops exist mainly to feed longhaul. But UA's domestic flights should be competitive on a stand-alone basis; they constitute too high a proportion of system ASMs. Most UA domestic pax aren't flying to/from a hub to catch a longhaul flight. So BA can run a European / UK support system with thin amenities mainly to get pax to / from LHR, and survive pressure from EasyJet etc., and CX and SQ need run none at all. But UA can't run a US network with painful seats and minimal amenities just to get us to / from EWR, SFO, or IAH. Not unless UA aspires to a much smaller, thinner, Pan Am-circa-1979-style domestic system that exists only to feed hubs.

On apples-to-applies terms UA domestic Y is clearly worse than VX, B6, and DL, and arguably worse (on a soft-factor metric) than AS and AA. The sole product I absolutely will never book again on the whole domestic landscape is UA's A320 economy slimline seat.

The magic factor normally used to get people to buy a worse flight at a higher fare is typically the FFP / loyalty inducements. But those are much diluted now with predictable dispersal of customers to competitors. Team Smisek did not understand, or did not care to hear, how much a good FFP kept customers sticking around a bad airline.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by sbm12

Yeah...definitely no need to consider the travel experience for the vast majority of passengers on a plane.
Let's be honest, we are all here trying to figure out how to get more for ourselves. I don't think anyone honestly cares about the experience in the last row of Y because we are probably never going to sit there. What matters more is how many Y+ seats there are and how that product compares to other carriers.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
Let's be honest,
I was. I actually do care about the overall experience. Because, despite the best laid plans, I do find myself in an E- middle seat often enough. Plus I guess I'm not nearly so selfish as to believe mine is the only experience which matters.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly18725
Let's be honest, we are all here trying to figure out how to get more for ourselves. I don't think anyone honestly cares about the experience in the last row of Y because we are probably never going to sit there. What matters more is how many Y+ seats there are and how that product compares to other carriers.
In that regard, DL is way behind. Typical 738 config, Y+/MCE/C+ :

UA mostly 42/48/54 seats, very few 18 seats (going away soon)
AA 30 or 48 seats
DL 18 seats

The risk of failing to secure DL C+ due to low seat count far more than outweigh potential benefits like snacks and booze.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
WN doesn't use carts for FA service, so they can work with slimmer aisles (which gives wider seats).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by B787938
The DL 16F 320 config is the updated interior they are rolling out. There is only one or two out of mods. The others all have the ORIGINAL NW interiors featuring a 17" wide seat.

Having flown the DL and UA 739ERs they are both horrific and I avoid them both.
I used the updated interiors as that is what Delta is rolling out. Delta substantially improved arguably the worst (in Y) plane in their fleet. United, OTOH turned the best ride in the narrowbody fleet into the worst, by far.

As web-sites start to put information on seat with and pitch into the visable information at purchase these will become a bigger issue. For example, the Delta A320 will say '18" wide with 30-31" pitch seat, power and streaming, and United A320 will say ' 17.7" wide with 30" pitch seat, no power, streaming" Or it will just give a comfort index and give the DL plane a 3 and the UA plane a 2.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
UA has the same issue that all the legacies have, pretty well worldwide, with competing with LCCs. They have a bloated cost structure so the only way they can lower costs is to degrade the customer experience. Eventually it's degraded to such an extent that it's no better than, or even worse than, the LCCs in pretty well every respect. Which is fair enough as they compete on price. However, customers' expectations are lower for the LCCs so they come away pleasantly surprised. The story they promulgate is that WN is just fine, which slowly changes to WN is good, unlike UA, which slowly changes to WN is better than UA - all achieved under a lower cost structure.

And all that is fine if UA's principal existence is a) to feed its network - but that's an expensive proposition and only works if the LCCs don't compete across its network - and to satisfy its elites with UCs, priority airport screening and extra legroom etc. - but that's an expensive proposition also.

If I look at BA as a comparator, competing with EZ and FR, they have a similar dynamic. Everyone has decided that EZ is just as good as BA and FR is tolerable. The sandwich BA gives you on shorthaul flights is worth not much. So the shorthaul has become either a feeder for the longhaul, or a place where elites can top up their status and enjoy lounge access. The longhaul is profitable but principally because of North America and the (to some extent perceived) weakness of UA, AA and DL. Take that away and BA is in big trouble and its shorthaul network will become untenable.

I see UA (and AA) being in much the same position - their product is expected to be better but it really isn't in any meaningful way and in some cases is worse. Their costs are way too high and they have to ask themselves what is their raison d'etre.
Bear pointed this out earlier, and I ecco his thoughts. This entire forum is devoted to loyalty programs, and in response to a very good post about how gutting the product eventually has repercussions, I just note that mileage program were invented to help prevent this from happening, given a person a reason to concentrate their flying on a network. I also think that unlike BA (with basically one hub) the american legacy carriers are far far more exposed to domestic flying, with a much larger domestic market. Lose that and you are TWA or PanAm.

Originally Posted by transportbiz
I've flown slimlines for a long time, technically VW has them, and so does LH, BA, LX and many others, I've never found the others as horrible as UA's slimlines, I don't know what they did to make them so awful.
I have never sat in as bad of a seat. I think its is the short seat bottom combined with a lack of padding, but I will not book a UA A320/319. Combo of upgrades being impossible and a bad Y seat, I stop looking at UA when I see its a A320/319. Sad since I used to so enjoy flying that Aircraft.

Originally Posted by Sydneyair
The cabin is only so wide, so whether it's WN claiming to keep wide seats on the 739 or BA claiming to widen seats on 787, they're just reshuffling deck chairs. The cabins didn't magically become wider.

As for the 31" vs. 32" issue, for any flyer displaying some levels of loyalty, they're entitled to free/early-access to 34-35" Y+, and for flyers displaying very high levels of loyalty, potentially free upgrades to 38" F as well. To me, the 31 vs. 32 debate is just a kettle issue.

All that being said, I agree the 319/320 slimlines are horrendous (hope they have plans to rectify that poor decision), but the E75 / 739 slimlines are quite acceptable. I recently flew on DL 738 using regular padded seats and they were no better than UA 739.
The "Jeff special" on the A319/320 will be with UA until those planes are retired. It will continue to be a drag on customer retention and revenue. Same with the old CO BF sets being introduced.

I do agree there is only so much you can do with a 737 given its cabin width, or in 9 across on the 7-narrow-7. Airbus has worked to actively avoid via design airlines going with more narrow seats, Boeing has welcomed it. At some point customers - as I already do - will see Airbus aircraft as more comfortable, and will look for those planes. When this happens Boeing is in real trouble. They sold their soul to a downward spiral and will pay for it as businesses that do this eventually do.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by spin88
Airbus has worked to actively avoid via design airlines going with more narrow seats, Boeing has welcomed it. At some point customers - as I already do - will see Airbus aircraft as more comfortable, and will look for those planes. When this happens Boeing is in real trouble. They sold their soul to a downward spiral and will pay for it as businesses that do this eventually do.
While Airbus is trying to be wider, the sales of 330neo/350 compared to 787 and 777X clearly shows that customers aren't paying a premium for seat width, and airlines are lowering their CASM with denser planes accordingly.

The poor sales of 739max compared to 321neo is largely due to the frame's performance and very little due to seat/cabin width.

The Airbus goal, while noble, isn't paying the bills. So far, there's no indication that Boeing is "pay[ing] for it".
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warreng24
WN doesn't use carts for FA service, so they can work with slimmer aisles (which gives wider seats).
I'm honestly surprised that all airlines don't do this on narrowbody flights (with the rare exception of the ones long enough to serve meals in coach).

To me, legroom trumps everything else, so I do happen to like WN over any legacy where my status doesn't get me an E+ type of seat. If it's .8" wider, I sure haven't noticed it. It's not exactly a *comfortable* seat: it's just comforting to know that it's not a 30" seat!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
I have zero evidence to support this, but I would be inclined to believe:

1) The binding constraint on aisle width is the size of a person and evac time, not cart width.
2) The few tenths of an inch difference in width among narrowbody seats is pretty negligible. I'd take the extra 2 inches of pitch any day.

Airbus has worked to actively avoid via design airlines going with more narrow seats, Boeing has welcomed it. At some point customers - as I already do - will see Airbus aircraft as more comfortable, and will look for those planes. When this happens Boeing is in real trouble. They sold their soul to a downward spiral and will pay for it as businesses that do this eventually do.
Most customers have no idea what plane they're on when they're booking, once they've boarded, or once they find their seat uncomfortable. Once they do, they're quite a bit more likely to blame the airline than Boeing. Also, the difference between 737 and 320 width is only 17cm (6.7in, roughly the length of a dollar bill).

Last edited by Boo_Radley; Oct 9, 2015 at 9:16 am
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:39 am

As web-sites start to put information on seat with and pitch into the visable information at purchase these will become a bigger issue. For example, the Delta A320 will say '18" wide with 30-31" pitch seat, power and streaming, and United A320 will say ' 17.7" wide with 30" pitch seat, no power, streaming" Or it will just give a comfort index and give the DL plane a 3 and the UA plane a 2.
Depends completely on the OTA and the underlying data source they use. And, FWIW, the good data sources use independent research rather than just believing what the airlines publish, so they know that the Y seats on an DL and UA A320 are actually the same width.

The main provider of that data today does offer a total score as well as component details such as power, pitch, width, wifi & IFE type. AFAIK none of the OTAs RouteHappy partners with use all of the data available from the company.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
The WN seats are bad, but the new UA seats are the worse. Except for the 757, which still has comfy seats.

I dislike the idea of a slimmer armrest though, all that does is make the person next to me leak into my seat more.. The armrest is a barrier of sorts..
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
The WN seats are bad, but the new UA seats are the worse.
How can you make that judgment when the new WN seats are installed on zero aircraft today??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.