Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WN Widens 737 Y Seats for More Comfort - Will UA Follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Widens 737 Y Seats for More Comfort - Will UA Follow?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:11 am
Suspended

fact is the 737 is narrower than 32X series

short of shrinking the aisles, one cannot increase *shoulder* width to the same levels as 32X. the WN version is only improving the waist width, but shoulder width (the bigger gripe) remains roughly the same
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Things that matter in Y seat comfort, in ranked order

1) Pitch / legroom
2) Height of seat off the floor
3) Lumbar support
4) Amount of cushioning in the seat
5) "Length" of seat-cushion (measured from the seat back to the front lip)
6) Likelihood that seat in front of me will recline into "my" space
7) Quality of headrest
8) Armrest height

Things that make essentially no material difference:

1) an extra 0.75 inch of seat width.

Otherwise known as: I'll gladly sit in a exit row or Row 7 bulkhead where the seat width is reduced by tray table storage in order to get that increased legroom and opportunity to have limited recline seats (or bulkhead) in front of me.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118

1) Pitch / legroom
3) Lumbar support
7) Quality of headrest
8) Armrest height

Otherwise known as: I'll gladly sit in a exit row or Row 7 bulkhead where the seat width is reduced by tray table storage in order to get that increased legroom and opportunity to have limited recline seats (or bulkhead) in front of me.
For wide-shouldered guys like me, width is #1.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:57 am
Suspended

To answer the question posed in the thread title -

no.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
To answer the question posed in the thread title -
If we rephrase the question properly, to "WN deceptively markets new, incredibly uncomfortable but revenue enhancing slimline seats as a 'flyer-friendly' - will UA follow?" the answer is without question, "yes!"
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat

1) Pitch / legroom
3) Lumbar support
7) Quality of headrest
8) Armrest height

Source?

Huge difference between an Airbii or 777/767 with 18" wide seats vs. 73X/75X with 17" wide seats. And I mean total width available to the passenger, at hips, gut, and shoulder heights, which is strictly governed by fuselage width and very little to do with the seats (except the width of the aisles).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: UA, HH & Marriott

1) Pitch / legroom
3) Lumbar support
7) Quality of headrest
8) Armrest height

I'm with Bonehead. Width is #1 for me with pitch a close second. Not everyone can fit comfortably (shoulder-width) within their Y-seat and not rub elbows or shoulders with their seatmates. 18" width helps, but I barely can feel comfortable in the 19" wide lie-flat J/C seats, especially when trying to lie down.

If the 17.8" width seats for WN reduce shoulder space, then more reason to avoid WN on the birds outfitted with these new seats (especially the window seats).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Importance order for me:

1. Legroom
2. Footroom
3. Limitation or absence of recline from in front of me
4. Shoulder room
5. Cushioning
6. Total width of butt space

(Never really thought of the height of the seat or armrest as a big variable between airlines.)

I can control 4 and 6 by selecting an aisle seat. An aisle-side armrest that lifts can help with 1, 2, and 6.

As for Southwest, they're either going to narrow the aisle of the total shoulder room has to stay the same, right? I mean, they didn't reinvent math down there in Dallas, did they? They aren't changing the height of the seats or floor of the aircraft to get a wider fuselage at butt-level. When I'm in a window seat, my shoulders are already wedged tight against the wall, so even if they somehow get my butt an inch closer to the sidewall, by shoulders are still just as wedged. The only place to "steal" space is a narrower aisle. Maybe WN can pull it off since they don't use drink carts, but isn't there some sort of FAA standard on aisle width? Seems like airlines would all already be operating at some sort of legal limit there.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steveman518
The article states that the seat cushion itself is getting wider-I highly doubt that the "horizontal pitch" (is that even a thing?) is increasing..seems just like another marketing spin...
I really think this needs to be restated. They are making the seat cushions wider. I would bet the seat frame and arm rests remain the same distance apart.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:30 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Whatever. It's wider by half an inch.

WN changed the seats for fuel savings (light weight), not "for more comfort."
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Whatever. It's wider by half an inch.

WN changed the seats for fuel savings (light weight), not "for more comfort."
I also wonder if the entire seat is getting thinner - a way to get 1 more row of seats into the plane while still advertising 31-32" pitch.

Or did they already do that with their last round of new seats, which was only a year or two ago IIRC??
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
That extra inch is simply one more inch of the person next to you that will be overflowing into your space. Narrow arm rests do not make the ride any more comfortable and can be quite annoying when you are in a middle seat with two people pressing against you for the whole flight.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pinniped
I also wonder if the entire seat is getting thinner - a way to get 1 more row of seats into the plane while still advertising 31-32" pitch.
That's the point of the slimlines. They get two extra rows of seats in a 737. They say pitch is 31", but it feels tighter.

Or did they already do that with their last round of new seats, which was only a year or two ago IIRC??
Only a portion of the fleet has the new "evolve" seat. It is absolutely awful.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:23 am

B/E Aerospace has chosen to not let any media into their booth at the conference so I could not directly measure the seats. It is unclear why they've picked such a policy, particularly given the announcement mentions that the seat was unveiled at the conference, but several journalists here were all shut out, even after getting various B/E Aerospace customers to try to facilitate entry.

I did have conversations with engineers with knowledge of the product and its design process and specs who confirmed that the frame did not change in size and that the arm rest slimming is a significant part of the "wider seat" claim. Southwest is also acknowledging that it is a narrower arm rest. The "shoulder" space is not getting any better. Butt space is getting slightly bigger but only in that the arm rests won't be as constricting, not that there's more space between you and your neighbor.

This is what the arm rest sizing difference looks like on the A380 11-abreast versus a normal economy seat installed today. The loss of width is noticeable.

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I really think this needs to be restated. They are making the seat cushions wider.
Do you have any evidence of this?

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I would bet the seat frame and arm rests remain the same distance apart.
The frame is remaining the same. The center lines of the arm rests are not moving but by reducing the width of the arm rests the numbers look better.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: TK*G

1) Pitch / legroom
3) Lumbar support
7) Quality of headrest
8) Armrest height

I agree completely. I am also young and thin however, which probably skews my judgement. That being said, I love the bulkhead/exit seats with tray tables in the armrests since it eliminates the possibility of my seatmate's leg or gut intruding into my space. Plus, the space between my legs and the divider makes for an excellent storing my Nalgene bottle, compared to the seatback pocket where it takes away my precious legroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.