Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United provided internet access/blocking restrictions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United provided internet access/blocking restrictions [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:45 pm

OK, so, I was pleasantly surprised today (04/27/2015) when I attempted to access some "Gun Related" sites from one of the C-terminal WiFi's and I didn't get a SINGLE blocked message. Either they removed the blocks, or their firewall was on the fritz. I'm going to assume (and hope) the former.

(Posted from a Delta Club with no blocked sites...that I know of)
Old May 3, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Still blocking some major online dating sites at ORD...
Old May 3, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smg77
Still blocking some major online dating sites at ORD...
I got the apps to work for OKCupid at EWR....Grindr too but that doesn't have a normal site it is only app.
Old May 8, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
In SEA UC and most gun websites still blocked. I did make 3 purchases from non scary named online firearm retailers though.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
A new one today. Facebook link about Boxers... the dogs.

"Not allowed to browse Mature Humor category"
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:39 am

Hoping it is a sign of good things to come. I'm in IAH E Club and there are no restrictions on any gun related websites. DEN west was still blocked on Monday am when I started this week.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:50 pm

Finally checked. i can access any firearm website I wish on the plane which makes the United club decisions to block (except in IAH!) firearm related websites the more perplexing.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
United blocked certain news sites on in-flight wifi [now restored]

Ars Technica reports United blocked a number of news sites on in-flight wifi recently:
- The New York Times
- Ars Technica
- The Verge

They've reverted the change now. No explanation for why it was blocked or how sites that find themselves blocked can appeal UA's decision.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mduell
Ars Technica reports United blocked a number of news sites on in-flight wifi recently:
- The New York Times
- Ars Technica
- The Verge

They've reverted the change now. No explanation for why it was blocked or how sites that find themselves blocked can appeal UA's decision.
This is why I immediately turn on my VPN. I'm tired of random websites, ports, and protocols being blocked.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yes. All news sites were blocked on my flight yesterday DXB-IAD. not even finance.yahoo.com was working. Only way to get news was to go to google.com and google news and click headlines.

I thought the world was ending and United didn't want us to know before we landed.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I'm sure that UA outsources their blocking stuff to some third-party, and I'm sure that third-party was blocking those sites due to some aglorithmic mess-up. So the answer to "why" is "random glitch", and nothing more.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I can see a reason to block services like VoIP or streaming videos in a flight, but news sites? Now they want to be our big brother?

I'm at the United Club now and it is also blocking Dropbox. Unbelievable.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by physioprof
So the answer to "why" is "random glitch"
Incompetence is equally likely.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm sure that UA outsources their blocking stuff to some third-party, and I'm sure that third-party was blocking those sites due to some aglorithmic mess-up. So the answer to "why" is "random glitch", and nothing more.
My guess would be a common ad or analytics service that they all use was flagged by an automated process.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by txflyer77
My guess would be a common ad or analytics service that they all use was flagged by an automated process.
And I'd bet it is because of the increased use of video on news sites. Whatever system they're using dumped those sites into the "Video" category and no one noticed. Once the complaints came in they fixed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.