Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by miasmal
... edit: When I click on the View Receipt, it does show eTicket number as starting with 016. So I should be ok getting the full 100%...
Can you see the ticket price?

Can you see the same fare basis online (might be difficult to do, will need to see if a dummy booking will bring the same fare basis up)?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I thought PQD included the surcharge??? nope not according to the United.com chart

Total Paid $477.50
Fare $254
Taxes & surcharge $223.5

PQD $257
RDM 2,827
PQM 16,768

I am getting royally screwed out of miles now.. need to bank elsewhere but where? any advice?

Last edited by UA1KPHL; Mar 16, 2015 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
I thought PQD included the surcharge??? nope not according to the United.com chart

Total Paid $477.50
Fare $254
Taxes & surcharge $223.5

PQD $257
RDM 2,827
PQM 16,768

I am getting royally screwed out of miles now.. need to bank elsewhere but where? any advice?
UA Insider came on and confirmed there is a glitch in what is showing online. PQD does include the surcharge.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yes, I already have that problem. I am sitting on several million without enough time or opportunity to spend them.

I am scared to trade them off (for fear of violating the T+Cs), and would feel like an idiot buying from the overpriced MP merchandise catalog, so I am riding the horns of a dilemma about what to do with them. Oh, I do fly the occasional family member or friend when they need it, but I still earn the miles way too quickly.

I really wouldn't care if they did away with RDM altogether.
There are lots of charities and NGOs that could use the miles to good effect, if you don't want to use them. Giving miles away shouldn't violate T&C
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmack
There are lots of charities and NGOs that could use the miles to good effect, if you don't want to use them. Giving miles away shouldn't violate T&C
Donate your miles
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Okay, I would figure I wouldn't need to get ORC for a reroute for PQD but I guess I do. So the other day I bought a flight for ~250ish PQD LAS-LAX-SMF (last minute). LAS-LAX had an 8 hour delay and we just decided to go LAS-SFO and grab a rental car from there. THe PQD posted and I only got about 100 instead of ~220. This is silly...

Obviously, the RDM earning was based on this lower PQD... I don't get it....
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
This system seems like it was devised by Jim Carrey. Maybe it was put together by the accountant from his movie The Mask.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by dink43k
Very unhappy about this change. I am a platinum member this year (usually 1K) and not a big spender on tickets. I fly economy class and just pick the best fare I can get, even though it is for work.
Just got back from a PHX -> SFO -> TPE R/T. I couldn't believe what I saw, as I completely forgot the change was coming.

For the outbound, instead of earning 7106 RDM + 5329 Bonus = 12435 miles
I earned 1510 RDM + 1208 Bonus = 2718 miles

That is a difference of 9717 RDM. Unbelievable!
My ticket would need to have cost 4.5x what I paid just to break even on the original mileage accrual plan.

I'm not flying 16.5 hrs on a plane for 2718 miles. That is simply outrageous. Time to switch I guess. Been a nice run United.
So this equates to $302 in airfare, plus taxes for the outbound.

Under the previous method, you would have earned $187 worth of miles (assuming 1.5CPM value- a low estimate, if you're using for premium transpacs), meaning UA took in about $115 net in return for flying you 7100 miles.

Out of curiosity, what would you say is reasonable value of a reward for your loyalty on this flight? I'm not trying to be mean, but it's a question a lot of people don't want to look at from an economics perspective.

You stated you were flying for work, which is the ultimate reason for the travel. The miles are gravy, rewarding those who bundle into one airline. Of course, they prefer those that bundle lots of money to those who spend less on the same lights.

If that bothers you, I agree that you SHOULD switch for as long as possible (until they all get in line) to another carrier. Like any relationship (especially business), if you don't like what United is giving you in return for what you give them, it's time...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
So much for buying business class tickets helping get back to 'normal'.

I'm on a paid business ticket SEA-PTY-NY-SEA this week. Ticket cost about $1,850 (airfare portion is ~$1,640).

In the old scheme as a UA 1K on a business fare I would earn 9,500 miles x 2.5 (1K 100% bonus and 50% COS bonus) for 23,500 award miles.

In the new scheme I will earn 1,640 x 11 = 18,040 for a net loss of 5,460 miles.

So I'm giving UA more money and I'm still losing out big.

Later this month I have a SEA-PEK business class ticket for $3,200. Routing is SEA-SFO-PEK which is 6,592 miles one way.

In the old scheme with 1K bonus and COS bonus that would have been 32,960 award miles.

In the new scheme I will earn $3,180 x 11 = 34,980 for a net gain of 2,020 miles.

I don't mind earning miles based on revenue spend so much...I will really mind when UA completely devalues the miles further and raises the mileage requirements for award tickets. We are all earning at a much, much lower rate.

PS - have taken a few domestic trips already that are booked in lowest economy class and have lost thousands on each of those.

-RM
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
So much for buying business class tickets helping get back to 'normal'.

I'm on a paid business ticket SEA-PTY-NY-SEA this week. Ticket cost about $1,850 (airfare portion is ~$1,640).

In the old scheme as a UA 1K on a business fare I would earn 9,500 miles x 2.5 (1K 100% bonus and 50% COS bonus) for 23,500 award miles.

In the new scheme I will earn 1,640 x 11 = 18,040 for a net loss of 5,460 miles.

So I'm giving UA more money and I'm still losing out big.
What the heck do you expect. You flew in business class for sub $2k.........
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Okay, I would figure I wouldn't need to get ORC for a reroute for PQD but I guess I do. So the other day I bought a flight for ~250ish PQD LAS-LAX-SMF (last minute). LAS-LAX had an 8 hour delay and we just decided to go LAS-SFO and grab a rental car from there. THe PQD posted and I only got about 100 instead of ~220. This is silly...

Obviously, the RDM earning was based on this lower PQD... I don't get it....
I think there are still some kinks and bugs in the calculations. I have had to call in twice to have PQD and, subsequently, RDM's corrected. Everyone needs to be keeping a very close eye on mileage that posts and hold MP accountable to make sure you get exactly what's due.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Balance

The concept of mileage earnings based on revenue makes sense to me. It's logical, and I would have been 100% in support of it, had the execution of it been even remotely balanced or "fair"...fair always being in the eye of the beholder.

My understanding was that United wanted to reward those who fly on normal fares, and above. And reward those less who flew on deeply discounted fares. And perhaps this is indeed how it is working, except that I always thought "deeply discounted" fares were basically "s" and below. It would seem United's definition of deeply discounted is "e" and below.

The new scheme will work fine for those who travel on a corporate dime, and who never pay for tickets out of their own pocket, which there are plenty of such travelers in the world, so United should find plenty of them.

For those who pay for their own tickets, in one way or another, such as the self-employed or small business owners and employees, this new scheme is probably not going to make United a good choice at least in terms of Mileage rewards.

Aside from mileage, United comes in at the bottom of every customer focused service survey there is, has an abysmal on-time record, the worst food and service in first class of all the airlines (still the only carrier with no pillows--as a small example of their indifference), a lousy boarding experience for top status and first class flyers, policies on flight changes and reticketing that are brutally punishing even for 1K flyers, terrible irrops handling. Otherwise, it's a great airline to be devoted to.

For many, the loyalty game had made it worthwhile to put up with all of the above, because there was some level of reward in exchange, such as upgrades to that sub-par first class cabin, and a mileage rewards programs that was indeed rewarding.

The upgrades are gone, and now the reward program is probably the worst in the industry, and that's a pretty low bar that was set by Delta. Reward availability has been drying up in my experience, and I've read that other's have noticed this as well. Add to this the increases in miles required for partner airlines, which was something I found very amusing from an optics point of view, the headline there read: United acknowledges that it's partner's product is worth more than it's own, by in some cases doubling the miles required to fly partner airlines.

In the end, I'm not sure why even those flying on someone else's dime would stick with United? If you're likely to get the same in terms of "refund" (as some here seem to think of the loyalty program being) on Delta or United, why wouldn't you want the better product on Delta? you won't get upgraded there either, but at least if you do fly in First, you'll get a decent meal, and snacks, a nice pillow and blanket, as consistent hard product (not a hotchpotch of seat pitches, coverings and configurations), real priority boarding, and attentive service from a crew that doesn't hate their CEO.

Had this last change been equitable, for me, that would be if ground zero was at "w" class (fares above W got more than before, W got the same, and fares below W got less than before) I'd consider remaining with United at least for another year to see if other changes I actually do like will materialize.

On my first trip with the new scheme, LAX-GVA (arriving in GVA 4 hours, late of course, though due to Swiss) returning from FRA-LAX (arriving at LAX 7 hours late) booked in W bucket I earned 14,597 spendable miles. This is slightly more than half the miles I would have earned (26, 368) on the old scheme. This is an unreasonable hit to the so-called "refund" (which btw is absurd, since it's not a refund in any way, shape or form, as the refund comes in miles which can and do change in value at the stroke of an email, or by changing availability of redemption). I would have been OK with this return on a cheep, T bucket fare...but this wasn't cheep, it wasn't deeply discounted, in fact it was $1,200 more than the lowest fare at time of purchase.

As is, it's time for a status match and departure. Delta, doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I may gamble with AA in hopes that they will continue to value and respect customers who purchase products with a consideration of how those purchases affect THEIR bottom-line.

Last edited by transportbiz; Mar 17, 2015 at 2:26 pm Reason: spelling and typos, sorry
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of people keep saying this won't have much effect on those flying on other people's money. That is hogwash. Most companies I know require most of their employees to buy cheapest economy tickets with only upper management buying premium cabins. This has an impact on everyone with most coming out on the short end of the stick. The gap between the haves and the have nots is spreading.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Baze
.... The gap between the haves and the have nots is spreading.
Isn't that inherent in most rewards programs?

And for the most the general public, those that fly as much as many here probably still would be viewed as the "haves" (although many of us would disagree). How many times has someone (non-traveler) commented -- "it must be thrilling to get to travel so much."
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
DEN-SFO-BUR, LAX-DEN - paid $208, received 1,280 miles based on a $160 base fare.

As a 1K (which I was until this year), I would have received 4,658 miles.

A 73% reduction in RDMs.

A bean-counter is smiling somewhere.

UA thinks I should spend something like $700 to get the amount of miles I used to. It must think highly of its product, because I sure don't think it's worth that much!

Glad I got some status matches when I could!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.