Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Pre-discussions

New United Club menus to be "announced" 4 March 2015

United Clubs to be renovated

Confirmed Clubs with New Food Offerings:

All domestic clubs now confirmed with some version of the New Food Offerings. Full spread at all domestic hubs, with cut-down or hybrid versions at most outstation clubs.

International Clubs with different catering: GUM, HKG, MEX, LHR, NRT

Updates:

October 11, 2017: A new flavor coming to United Clubs
Print Wikipost

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
My spouse is disabled. We arrive in plenty of time, even with PreCheck to allow for any crazy experiences in the TSA lanes (requires manual pat down or nude-o-scope on every visit) and then we get ourselves a soda to take on the plane and then head to the UC. Sometimes we need a wheelchair, other times he fights the good fight and walks. It is a real luxury to be able to plan ahead, give ourselves time, recompose, refresh and have a snack/drink before heading to the gate. Far less exhausting and gives us time to clear ourselves of the airport stress before heading to the gate for pre-boarding. While not your typical use case, we are always so happy to arrive early and be relaxed, versus stressing about last minute complications that can ruin the start of a trip.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
My comment was not about wasting 20-30 minutes piddling around in the UC lounge. That is fine. Sometimes I do it too. I wouldn't dream of paying money for it, but it is more attractive than just sitting by the gate sometimes. I wouldn't say it's necessarily quieter though.

My comment was about people eating food in the UC (or plane) as a replacement for eating a grownup meal at a restaurant in the airport.

Almost 100% of my united travel is SFO - Asia. When I arrive at SFO hungry, my first move is to go to firewood grill for a breakfast scramble; not go eat crackers, insta-oatmeal, and MinuteMade in the UC lounge.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rotus12
My comment was not about wasting 20-30 minutes piddling around in the UC lounge. That is fine. Sometimes I do it too. I wouldn't dream of paying money for it, but it is more attractive than just sitting by the gate sometimes. I wouldn't say it's necessarily quieter though.

My comment was about people eating food in the UC (or plane) as a replacement for eating a grownup meal at a restaurant in the airport.

Almost 100% of my united travel is SFO - Asia. When I arrive at SFO hungry, my first move is to go to firewood grill for a breakfast scramble; not go eat crackers, insta-oatmeal, and MinuteMade in the UC lounge.
Yes, this is the main point, not people's habits on when they arrive at the airport.

That said, there's a report that the ORD clubs now have eggs and sausage for breakfast. I'd probably still opt for a bagel or egg sandwich in the airport, but I will say that makes it attractive for me to eat breakfast in the UC occasionally if I'm there early.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, this is the main point, not people's habits on when they arrive at the airport.

That said, there's a report that the ORD clubs now have eggs and sausage for breakfast. I'd probably still opt for a bagel or egg sandwich in the airport, but I will say that makes it attractive for me to eat breakfast in the UC occasionally if I'm there early.
Why is there still no communication from United about whether these breakfast offerings are a pilot or part of a new standard to roll out to new clubs? (Same with the upgraded spirits).
Old May 3, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by villox
Why is there still no communication from United about whether these breakfast offerings are a pilot or part of a new standard to roll out to new clubs? (Same with the upgraded spirits).
I can't answer your question, but it seems like the different improvements are in conjunction with Sodexo taking over. I don't know if that will be at all clubs, some, or just ORD.

Perhaps as you suggested, it's just a pilot before they tweak and roll out broadly? If so, I'd be fine with that. A well-run pilot program can have positive results for the company and it's customers. I could also understand not communicating a pilot, so as to not build false expectations before the offer is finalized...especially among a certain group of people who save off every communication and then run to message boards to complain if the end result isn't exactly what they wanted.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JBord
I can't answer your question, but it seems like the different improvements are in conjunction with Sodexo taking over. I don't know if that will be at all clubs, some, or just ORD.

Perhaps as you suggested, it's just a pilot before they tweak and roll out broadly? If so, I'd be fine with that. A well-run pilot program can have positive results for the company and it's customers. I could also understand not communicating a pilot, so as to not build false expectations before the offer is finalized...especially among a certain group of people who save off every communication and then run to message boards to complain if the end result isn't exactly what they wanted.
There is only one airport in the world I get to early for the club - and it's LHR and in large part due to Sodexo.... However - when I was younger I certainly understood the "efficiency" angle of maximizing my time - but now that Im older (not wiser lol) I prefer the less stress option of arriving early and relaxing in the club - it's about minimizing stress now - not maximizing efficiency - and if Sodexo keeps the quality up I'm even better off!
Old May 3, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I find it quite interesting how Sodexo is a topic of praise here. When I was in college, the dining hall was contracted out to Sodexo and they left a lot to be desired.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by diburning
I find it quite interesting how Sodexo is a topic of praise here. When I was in college, the dining hall was contracted out to Sodexo and they left a lot to be desired.
Then you haven't travelled on UA much lately have you????
Old May 3, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by diburning
Same here, but then if I compare my dorm food to what United Clubs have been offering, I can't help but think it will be a step up.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Sodexo do prisons as well. But you have obviously not been to LHR T2 UC.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Sodexo do prisons as well. But you have obviously not been to LHR T2 UC.
I know this company very well. Sodexo will provide whatever level of quality it's customers pay for. For those who say it is either a low quality or high quality food service is not correct, it can be anywhere on the spectrum.

It's a low margin business from top to bottom. If the customer wants cheap, they'll get cheap, if they want classy they get classy.

In my opinion, UA picked a good company to partner with here, especially if they want different levels of service in different clubs, such as international vs. domestic.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Update from the new and improved B18 Club.

Food for purchase menu. New arrival point at bottom of the escalator. Widening of the general club space with improved seating and lighting. The Coke machine has been upgraded to Coke Freestyle (create your own flavors/custom drink mixes).
Attached Images    
Old May 3, 2016, 5:48 pm

Nice! Thanks for the report.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Then you haven't travelled on UA much lately have you????
I have, actually. Which parts of UA are done by Sodexo besides the LHR (and now the ORD) club? If Sodexo handles other aspects of UA that I didn't know about, then I'd be delightfully surprised.

I'll admit, I've never been to the UC at LHR, but I'll definitely stop in next time I'm there.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I think Sodexo took over all UC clubs in the US effective last month. Could be wrong, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.