Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
If I'm flying LAX-LHR (first) -HAM on eurowings and have a 3 hour layover, can I use the GFL in T2 while I wait for my flight to HAM? No status.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AZbba
If I'm flying LAX-LHR (first) -HAM on eurowings and have a 3 hour layover, can I use the GFL in T2 while I wait for my flight to HAM? No status.
You should be let in. Note that you'll arrive have a good 15 min walk to transfer security that will put you in the main T2 where 4U leaves from. You'll then have to walk back 15 to the GFL and then back again 15 to your flight.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by AZbba
Yes absolutely.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Phaze
Does anyone know what time the LHR GFL closes? They've conveniently omitted this info from their site. Thanks.
I would bet it mirrors the United Club hours. 5AM to 10PM
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:35 am

Edit: To answer my own question, it's 0500-1800, as confirmed by United over the phone.

Last edited by Phaze; Jan 21, 2017 at 3:48 am Reason: Updated info
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA GS
Do GS still get acces to GFL in SFO if flying p.s.?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Yes.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Flew my colleague last week on IAD-PEK in Polaris Business. Knowing my colleague could not get into GFL, we headed to United Club. The UC agent wrote on my boarding pass "ok to bring 1", and asked us to go to GFL. It was a nice treat for my colleague.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
anyone in PS Business class or just GS?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
anyone in PS Business class or just GS?
Just GS. Same as before. Mortals in J on ps get UC access.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Flew my colleague last week on IAD-PEK in Polaris Business. Knowing my colleague could not get into GFL, we headed to United Club. The UC agent wrote on my boarding pass "ok to bring 1", and asked us to go to GFL. It was a nice treat for my colleague.
I've never had an issue bringing my wife into the IAD GFL with me when flying J. Nice of them to make an official exception though.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
SFO staff need retraining

This has now happened to me twice in the past year. The lounge gatekeepers at SFO claim that GFL access is only for those departing on an international flight and not arriving on one and connecting domestically.

Only after saying I can pull up the rules on the United website, they start to say they'll "make an exception this time" and let me in.

How can they not know their own rules?! Seriously, wouldn't this be covered on day 1 of training? Happened to me twice and my wife once. There is a pattern here.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
This has now happened to me twice in the past year. The lounge gatekeepers at SFO claim that GFL access is only for those departing on an international flight and not arriving on one and connecting domestically.

Only after saying I can pull up the rules on the United website, they start to say they'll "make an exception this time" and let me in.

How can they not know their own rules?! Seriously, wouldn't this be covered on day 1 of training? Happened to me twice and my wife once. There is a pattern here.
On going issue for years if not decades.

Last Nov two ladies were at the desk. One tried to push me off to the arrivals lounge (after 12PM) but the other one contradicted her and after a debate let me in.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by Michael D
On going issue for years if not decades.

Last Nov two ladies were at the desk. One tried to push me off to the arrivals lounge (after 12PM) but the other one contradicted her and after a debate let me in.
Blows my mind. Figuring out who gets in and who doesn't is the main purpose of their jobs. There's just a handful of scenarios to deal with.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Never had this problem on many TPAC arrivals at SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.