Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Phaze
Previous thread - Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, IAD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.
NOTE: Global First Lounge at ORD has closed. Polaris lounge Chicago is now open, including dining. The Global First Lounge at LHR closes at 18:00, as confirmed by United via phone. The website currently omits this information.

This reconfirmed per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (EWR-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. This does not apply to a GS flying non-UA metal.

Any passenger holding a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours in UA GF will have access to the GFL at their departure and connecting airports.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences [2015 forward]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Agreed. Arrivals lounges are important, particularly in destinations where long-haul passengers arrive in the morning before their hotels are likely to be ready for check-in. I was frustrated a few months back when I discovered LH offers no arrivals facility whatsoever at MUC, despite having a lovely and well-stocked arrivals lounge at FRA. Worst of all were the FTers in the LH forum, who mocked me for "not understanding what an airport is for." (Can you tell I'm getting annoyed with the amount of snark on FT?)
a) yes b) stay out the BAEC sub-forum c) it does seem to be happening more

Old May 24, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by emcampbe
The United Clubs (and every other *G lounge, IME) are departure lounges only, and don't allow access on arrival. Status gives you different access benefits, and there is an exception if you are arriving on a United-operated flight. I also suspect the OP knew they were on LH, as they seemed to know to go to the FCT in FRA, and not to the United desk to check in.

And also, just in terms of symantics, United did not "put" the OP on a flight operated by another airline, the OP booked a flight on another carrier. That they ignored the "operated by Lufthansa" note, put there as required by DOT rules on disclosure and to notify the OP who actually operated the flight.
As the OP, I don't disagree with any of this. However ... It is not clear to most of the flying public or at least a lot of us, that a flight "operated" by another airline can alter your benefits. This certainly is not stated or implied on the Lounge Access policies on the United or *A websites. It's not even addressed. It may be perfectly clear to you and most FT folks. As I mentioned, I often see "operated by xxxxx" on my domestic flights and it just has never mattered. No one had ever told me I can't get a free coke on a Mesa operated flight because I booked through United for example.

Of course I knew I was on Lufthansa but I was planning on checking in at United since I had a United ticket (by my reckoning), until my hotel concierge who tried to print my boarding passes told me that I should go to the Lufthansa First Class Terminal.

I have a few more things to say in my other reply to several posts.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I wonder what basis OP was admitted to the LH lounge? If I recall there are reports that they allow non-*G on UA domestic F, but perhaps it was a special case for their own F pax.
They let me in because of my arriving FC BP on a LH operated flight. I was upstairs in the Senator Lounge. I'm not sure that my FC BP on UA departing IAD mattered or not. I assume it did not.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Let's say United started admitting non-UA arrivals connecting to domestic flights. Can you imaging the crowds in the peak arrival/departure windows? I can. People already complain about crowding.

Most of the money he paid for the LH leg went to LH, not UA. LH provides a LH lounge (and he was admitted) for its operated flights at IAD. It just wasn't convenient enough for him.
I don't think they should admit all non-UA arrivals, just First Class purchased from United. Those two restrictions would cut down the potential number of candidates considerably. There were only two of us on the flight over and the other passenger was German so I assume he bought his ticket directly from LH. It is a fair question. I'm not sure how many extra people would gain admittance but I'm guessing not enough if restricted as I suggested.

Yes, you are 100% correct, it was not convenient enough for me. If the LH lounge had been in the same terminal then I would have been happy. Regardless of convenience, I still think I have a valid reason to complain based on how the access rules are written. That's simply my opinion and obviously wrong and from the airline's point of veiw.

Originally Posted by villox
: You do not get lounge access upon arrival from an international flight unless you are on United metal.

But he wasn't a United customer for the purposes of lounge access. He was a Lufthansa customer.
I never bought anything from Lufthansa. My business was solely with United.

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
: Exactly then, that's what OP attempted to purchase and that's what OP got. So OP has no valid complaint.
I got the first class ticket from point A to point B but not the corresponding benefits.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
: The UC rules do explicitly admit passengers arriving in front cabin on international UA-operated flights.
The rules do not explicitly mention who operates the flights. That would be a good thing to add.

Originally Posted by sbm12
: A United flight is one operated by United or United Express, not one sold by United and operated by a partner, even with a UA flight number on it. The UA access rules web page calls out this difference by referring to "United Polaris First Class" versus "First Class on a Star Alliance member airline."
You should write the access rules that clarify what a United flight is. United could learn something from you. Simply adding something like your first sentence above would make things much clearer to the general public.

They may attempt to call out the difference between "United Polaris First Class" versus "First Class on a Star Alliance member airline" but this is where they drop the ball. I contend that I had, "A boarding pass for travel in United Polaris first class" which was operated by Lufthansa. This should have given me access to the UGF lounge upon arrival at IAD per the web page:
"Customers in United Polaris first class may access a United Global First Lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing."

To add to the confusion, I was able to access the Polaris Lounge at ORD when departing on Swiss, although they would claim it was because I was at my departing airport on a *A FC ticket as opposed to having a United First Class boarding pass (which I had).

I'm not trying to suggest they made a mistake or weren't following the rules as they intended. I'm suggesting the rules need some simple clarification on what constitutes a United Flight or how another airline operating a flight can change things. These suggestions would not be required for typical FT members, but they would help the average flyer who gets int this situation.

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 25, 2017 at 12:59 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 25, 2017, 5:03 am

FWIW -
  1. For people that fly a lot with UA, right or wrong, I think UA's lounge rules are pretty clear.
  2. I can see someone who does not fly international a lot being confused.
  3. I agree 100% this is a crazy policy when Intl FC tickets are purchased from UA.
  4. I have not found anyone that would choose UA FC and arrival FCL access in the USA over LH lounges in Germany and LH FC. Would OP have really chosen UA FC if he/she knew there was no UA FCL access in the USA? (I think no. OP can answer.)
  5. UA is crazy to not allow Intl FC passengers Polaris/FC lounge access when the ticket is bought on the UA site/with UA, regardless of airline. The number of people accessing the FCL/PL on any given day would be insignificant.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by nigos
Last month I first went to the LH lounge followed by a visit to the GFL lounge at IAD just prior to departure. The drink selection at GFL was amazingly poor and the food was not at all enticing. I found the LH lounge at IAD to be far preferable albeit too far from UA gates if you have a tight connection.
Well, that makes me even less likely to go to a regular UA club at IAD and try for a pass to the GFL as a 1K on a paid business class ticket. Though I suspect the champagne is still better in GFL than LH, which serves Cordonieu (unless you are on LH first class), or TK, which serves a prosecco. But if I were the original poster, I would likely have scooted over to the LH lounge anyway for the showers. No UC has showers at IAD, even the GFL. I agree with the other posters that the desire for arrivals lounges is underestimated, though it is probably more needed in Europe where most international arrivals from the US are in the morning, than IAD where most arrivals are in the afternoon.

At the risk of sounding like an advert, I used to find it hard to get good information on what lounges I did and did not have access to in what circumstances (e.g., if departure only) until I found the loungebuddy app. If the OP had consulted it, he would have been better prepared.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerNOT
I don't think they should admit all non-UA arrivals, just First Class purchased from United.
The fact that you purchased the ticket through UA is much less significant than you seem to think it is.

UA gets very little revenue or benefit from selling tickets on flights operated by other carriers. It's mostly a convenience for their passengers, which they hope will lead to additional UA bookings.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'll be traveling to and from the UK via IAD next week. GFL or LH lounge? Which is better?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I prefer the GFL. Both are good but the GFL shades it for me. You could try lounge hopping if you have enough time but LH lounge is A gates, United is B gates.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Last week I went to both. Food and ambiance better in LH, but self-serve bar was better in GFL, including Veuve and Laurent Perrier as the champagnes.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:18 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
LHR GFL Upon Arrival?

Am I able to get a gate pass from United upon arrival at LHR to go back through security and access the GFL?

I realize the Arrivals Lounge is available but I am asking specifically about the GFL.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by In The 216
Am I able to get a gate pass from United upon arrival at LHR to go back through security and access the GFL?

I realize the Arrivals Lounge is available but I am asking specifically about the GFL.
Nope. They really don't do gate passes at LHR, but if they did they would absolutely not for this purpose. They would tell you to use the Arrivals Lounge.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:28 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
The (very clear) access rules allow for those in United Polaris first to access the GFL on arrival. Am I to understand that this is only for connecting passengers?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The (very clear) access rules allow for those in United Polaris first to access the GFL on arrival. Am I to understand that this is only for connecting passengers?
You can use it if country/airport rules allow it. If you are not departing, you can't get to it at LHR. Sounds like you're new to international travel - it isn't just security, but security and border control. Great Britain (and just about every country I can think of) just isn't going to give out gate passes so people can go back and forth. You'd have to enter GB twice and leave once just to use a lounge. Connecting passengers can generally access airside lounges because, well, they stay airside (i.e. do not enter the country through immigration).

The arrivals lounge is great. Even if there was a way to get to the GFL, you'd could spend an additional hour standing in immigration lines. The GFL is nice, but not many people would put that premium on it over the arrivals lounge.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 2, 2017 at 11:15 pm
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That doesn't speak to whether security and British customs/immigration will allow you back airside. As I understand it, they will not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.