Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:54 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Originally Posted by halls120
                  The chicken and sausage jambalaya looks good.

The jambalaya is an old dish from the pre-Smisek CO days, and it is good.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
                  Originally Posted by eng3
                  Sounds nice. I wish PHL-ORD was included in the exceptions list though
                  I agree, since PHL-ORD (along with DCA-ORD) were originally part of the old "Business1" flights that received enhanced service. They should give us poor suffering PHL folks an upgrade for a change, since all we've had for years are cutbacks!

Still, I like the look of the improvements.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
                  Originally Posted by eng3
                  Interesting, I think breakfast is the absolute worst meal UA offers (excluding what you get in intl economy).
                  Agree. Of the (small) spectrum of breakfast meals, only one even approaches mediocre. And within that, only the quasi scrambled eggs and the potato triangle thingy are OK.

Last edited by Boo_Radley; Jan 21, 2015 at 11:31 am
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
                  Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
                  Agree. Of (small) spectrum of breakfast meals, only one even approaches mediocre. And within that, only the quasi scrambled eggs and the potato triangle thingy are OK.
                  The potato triangle thing is OK, probably because its loaded with salt and cheese or whatever. The eggs taste like cardboard to me and are overcooked. I dont know how you can ever hope to make eggs on a plane since it has to be pre-made then reheated.

The fancy new menu items sound good, but some stuff is not designed to being reheated. I'd much rather they serve simple foods that reheat well then attempt to do fancy stuff that will taste like eating leftovers.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by channa
                  Quote:

Originally Posted by halls120

The chicken and sausage jambalaya looks good.

The jambalaya is an old dish from the pre-Smisek CO days, and it is good.
                  And served in a nice big bowl in the good old days.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:28 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking forward to the change, some of which I think was pushed by the offering of competing carriers.
                  Jambalaya & tandoori chicken sound quite interesting.
                  Can't wait to see the turkey puck leave, sigh!
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
                  IAH-HNL early Feb, fingers crossed!
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
                  What about more main course salads?

And, more importantly WHAT ABOUT THE WINE? We can bring our own food, but wine can't be self catered. Bring back a decent selection of interesting wine, please!

Note: I say interesting, not expensive. The world is awash in good, decent reds and whites and rose.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:40 am
                  mkr
                  Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
                  Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
                  Originally Posted by cesco.g
                  Looking forward to the change, some of which (bolding by mkr)

I think was pushed by the offering of competing carriers.
                  Jambalaya & tandoori chicken sound quite interesting.
                  Can't wait to see the turkey puck leave, sigh!
                  "Some" of which was pushed by the offering of competing carriers?

How about ALL of which was pushed by competing carriers ....and from feedback from UA FFers in this MileagePlus Forum and elsewhere that has continually complained about the food....but mostly from loss of FFers from United who began en masse to fly other carriers! That is what got their attention.

Don't think that UA did something just to please its FFers. They do not have that kind of thinking in the mindset of this current upper management.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:40 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
                  Originally Posted by Bear96
                  Reheated, unless they are completely installing new galley ovens with different capabilities. As I explained on another thread:

The galley ovens are pre-set to a certain temperature (I want to say it is supposed to be 180'F, but don't really remember - and they are notorious for being inaccurate), which is only enough to re-heat and not actually "cook" anything that is raw, like cookie dough.
                  Huh, on my last couple flights they've been served warm but very gooey like undercooked. I guess UA/Otis optimized for that gooey texture.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:50 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
                  It will certainly be interesting to see how the regionals handle the new meal service. Half the time they could barely get the snack boxes sorted out correctly.

Nice positive change for a change. I hope that when/if BGR-ORD returns that the timing is better so I can change back to UA.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
                  Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
                  Of the (small) spectrum of breakfast meals, only one even approaches mediocre. And within that, only the quasi scrambled eggs and the potato triangle thingy are OK.
                  That is the dish I feel is still decent. The egg-mcmuffin they serve on shorter flights is dreadful. IMHO, the lunches are the worst (the soup bowl being an exception) followed by dinner.

Also, I am so over being served warm cookies on a plane. Why do all the airlines think we all want a warm cookie for dessert?
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:04 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
                  I have to say that I crave fresh food on aeroplanes and, sadly, the menus mentioned by UA Insider don't seem so strong on fresh. Also, I need to be GF, and it very much sounds as though they are adding gluten wherever possible. In short, the menus sounded inedible. I hope that the reality is better.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
                  What's the timeline — when do we get this great new service?

We hear "beginning Feb. 1" as one possible date.

This announcement says " here is a quick summary of the new North America premium cabin dining program with additional details available on united.com beginning January 23" but I can't tell whether this means the new good stuff arrives 23 Jan … or it means that these details will be posted on UA's web site on 23 Jan.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:13 pm
                  mkr
                  Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
                  Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
                  Originally Posted by mherdeg
                  What's the timeline — when do we get this great new service?

We hear "beginning Feb. 1" as one possible date.

This announcement says " here is a quick summary of the new North America premium cabin dining program with additional details available on united.com beginning January 23" but I can't tell whether this means the new good stuff arrives 23 Jan … or it means that these details will be posted on UA's web site on 23 Jan.
                  Based on past experiences, I would greatly expect that the details are projected to be posted 1/23 (note, this is the day after UA's 4th Q earnings report).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.