Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The HKG routing not possible? The upgrade HKG-SIN is "free" if EWR-HKG doesn't clear. That routing is also less prone to cancels.
More expensive and less EQMs but may be worth it
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by anandrag
More expensive and less EQMs but may be worth it
I am actually doing NYC-SIN which is why EWR-SFO-SIN yields much more than EWR-HKG-SIN.

Would upgrade chances be higher from EWR (or ORD or DEN if UA does DEN-HKG) to HKG?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
I just booked for October 2 tickets EWR-HKG-SIN, 1 upgraded immediately into J; the other waitlisted. Separate PNRs as it was R1. Both upgraded HKG-SIN.

Coming back got confirmed first for 80k pp SIN-(stop in HKG)-ORD-DTW-IAD (hope to change that last part, and need to purchase 2 IAD-EWR tickets (as UA wanted $800 pp to add to the itinerary...flight is selling for $136...uh, no).

Good luck and everything I read here told me to stay away from SFO-SIN-SFO (even though that is what UA wanted to route us on.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by jmkclee
I just booked for October 2 tickets EWR-HKG-SIN, 1 upgraded immediately into J; the other waitlisted. Separate PNRs as it was R1. Both upgraded HKG-SIN.

Coming back got confirmed first for 80k pp SIN-(stop in HKG)-ORD-DTW-IAD (hope to change that last part, and need to purchase 2 IAD-EWR tickets (as UA wanted $800 pp to add to the itinerary...flight is selling for $136...uh, no).

Good luck and everything I read here told me to stay away from SFO-SIN-SFO (even though that is what UA wanted to route us on.
good for you. I can't find any flights with R>0. What day of week is your flight?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Thursday. Oct. 19. Only got 1, though, waitlisted for the other, with lots of 9s in the fare codes, so here's hoping! I've read that the EWR-HKG chances of upgrading are best M-Th. Oh, look for the 3:15 pm flight, UA 179. Everything else routes you through SFO. Good luck!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Anyone have experience (or luck) clearing GPUs on EWR-VCE? Probably will be booking this at some point for late August travel...particular date I am looking @ has P9PN2, looks like someone recently booked a block of 6 tickets (there were no bookings showing up on the seatmap previously). Feel like a leisure route w/1K would have a good shot, assuming paid passengers don't book up the front cabin (approximately ~$1200 difference between lowest-fare Y and lowest-fare J fares available).

And similarly - any thoughts on the late-departure CDG-EWR on a 752 in early September?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:10 am

Rpu upgrade sfo <-> ewr 777-300er

Had anyone had one clear? With the amount of polaris seats available I hope I'm not being too naive to hope for my RPU to clear.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS
Yes. I have four clear for my wife and I on a redeye SFO-EWR and the returning EWR-SFO departing in late March and coming back in early April. 2 RPUs each way.

But this isn't a Polaris flight. It's what they normally called the P.S. flights
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by BrianSF
Yes. I have four clear for my wife and I on a redeye SFO-EWR and the returning EWR-SFO departing in late March and coming back in early April. 2 RPUs each way.

But this isn't a Polaris flight. It's what they normally called the P.S. flights
Cool. I applied one on April 2. Fingers crossed are u GS, 1K OR PLAT
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Had anyone had one clear? With the amount of polaris seats available I hope I'm not being too naive to hope for my RPU to clear.
With the amount of coach seats, and thus competition for the upgrade, I think it is naive.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Cool. I applied one on April 2. Fingers crossed are u GS, 1K OR PLAT
considering the 77W doesn't fly the red eye I think the poster you're quoting was confused and just meant they cleared a regular ps flight.
The SFO-EWR on the 777-300er departs SF around 1pm.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mduell
With the amount of coach seats, and thus competition for the upgrade, I think it is naive.
I don't think the increase in Y seats will necessarily mean more upgrade requests (don't really think that 3-4-3 Y is going to be an elite magnet in an evenly spaced schedule).

The novelty factor is going to keep upgrade rates down though, until it wears off.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While I don't believe any open R has yet been reported, with 60J I've got to think there will be some upgrades. The 77W has one of the better Y:J ratios in the fleet - certainly much better than the 16J sCO 752s that are being used on ps.

Also, the 77W flights are at off times (particularly eastbound) which are typically best for upgrades on this route.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.6MM
Originally Posted by BrianSF

So do we know for sure that the EWR-SFO flight on the 777-300ER is a P.S. flight and thus requires a RPU for upgrade? I assumed so, but wasn't entirely sure.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmkclee

Originally Posted by anandrag
good for you. I can't find any flights with R>0. What day of week is your flight?
I am on CHS-EWR-HKG-SIN now, been here a few days and going home tomorrow. I could have booked basically almost any day last week or this week for coming or going and had tons of R available. I made these reservations in mid-November. It is even Chinese New Year, I was surprised.

We had probably 2-3 empty J seats EWR-HKG and right now it was R9 for tomorrow and probably 20 J seats not sold for HKG-EWR last time I checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.