Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
First time poster so bare with me.

a friend who is global services used two RPUs for me and my wife for an upcoming flight.

ewr to sfo on 3/15/17

the RPU request was waitlisted. My question is how often/likely do these RPU requests actually work?

the plane has 25 out of 28 seats open. I read that there are no CPUs for this flight...this should make it more likely to go through?

any insight is appreciated
Hello Dpetryszyn, welcome to FlyerTalk!

I think you are reasonably likely to make the upgrade. Because your friend is Global Services, you will be ahead of almost everyone else on the upgrade list. Also, Wednesdays tend to be one of the lower demand days for that route, and J demand also tends to be lower on EWR-SFO than SFO-EWR.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Chances of no-status Mrs. rustykettel clearing on EUG-DEN-IAD (UA1112, UA495, Wed 3/7) and ORD-SFO (UA743, Wed 3/14) with miles and cash? Her other segments including TATL cleared but R has been 0 for these three for months every time I've checked.

Current availability is
UA1112: F3A2JN3C3D2Z2ZN2P0PN0R0
UA495: F9A6JN9C8D6Z3ZN3P0PN0R0
UA743: F9A8JN9C9D9Z5ZN5P1PN0R0

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ermintrude
The OP is looking for PN not R availability if the RPUs are from the GS account which is how it reads to me. If this is correct and PN is available call up. PN availability EWR -SFO usually isn't too bad.

you are correct. The upgrade came from a GS account.

are you saying if PN is greater than 2 I should call?

right now p is 3 and pn, r and rn are 0
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
you are correct. The upgrade came from a GS account.

are you saying if PN is greater than 2 I should call?

right now p is 3 and pn, r and rn are 0
Welcome to FT. As you are a new poster I suspect you may be unfamiliar to some Jargon so I will try and simplify.

PN is always greater than or equal to R
You don't need to worry about R
Forget about RN - this fare class is regularly misunderstood by long term posters.
There is typically far more PN availability than R. If you are bothered about clearing I would check once a day to see if PN opens up.

If PN=1 you can still clear 1 however if PN opens up it is likely to be greater than 1 (educated guess on your flight) - you would actually be better off calling up your GS friend and tell them than PN has opened up on your flight - GS will
only take a couple of minutes to upgrade.

If you don't clear within 24 hrs of the flight I would come back on here and ask what your options are (T-24) - I suspect you will clear.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
What do folks think of possibilities of clearing upgrade on the below routes?

8/11: EWR-FRA (currently showing Z9P0PN0R0)

8/27: CDG-IAD (currently showing Z9P9PN0R0)

Would like to know my chances before deciding to play upgrade roulette...my other alternatives would be to fly saver J on OS to VIE but buy a revenue ticket to my onward destination (INN), which would probably be a bit annoying. On the way back, I could fly saver J back on LX (CDG-ZRH-JFK), or alternatively take a late flight the night before to AMS and fly UA metal AMS-EWR (where surprisingly there is both R and I availability on a summer flight...AMS consistently seems to be a great spot to look for availability on UA).
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
8/11: EWR-FRA (currently showing Z9P0PN0R0)

8/27: CDG-IAD (currently showing Z9P9PN0R0)
Can't be meaningfully predicted six months out.

You would be playing classic W fare roulette.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:51 pm

If I see R9 space on a flight right now, does it mean that by changing to that flight and applying an RPU I should be pretty much guaranteed an upgrade?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Yes. It should be confirmed immediately once you apply an upgrade instrument.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Got my first two RPUs as a new Plat late last year and was planning to use them BOS<>SFO for this Friday morning's 8am flight to SFO followed by Monday's 8am return to BOS. My CPU history on this route is good; I tend to fly at unpopular times, so I've gotten more than my share, both as a Platinum and as a Gold. (Heck, I even got a couple as a Silver when I was flying at 6am in the dead of winter.)

I'm beginning to see how things have changed though. I applied the RPUs months ago, and seats continue to vanish out from under me. Since the 8am outbound flight is looking iffy, will I be able to SDC to the 6am flight and keep my RPU in the mix, or will it be prioritized behind every single Silver with a possible CPU?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
will I be able to SDC to the 6am flight and keep my RPU in the mix . . .?
Technically you can't SDC and waitlist an RPU . . . waitlisting is allowed only prior to T-24.

A helpful agent may apply the RPU in violation of that rule, but there are problems with that. Any priority based on time of waitlisting will not transfer.

or will it be prioritized behind every single Silver with a possible CPU?
How would a Plat ever be prioritized behind a Silver for a CPU? Even if you can't apply the RPU your CPU status will put you ahead of all Gold and Silvers.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ermintrude
Welcome to FT. As you are a new poster I suspect you may be unfamiliar to some Jargon so I will try and simplify.

PN is always greater than or equal to R
You don't need to worry about R
Forget about RN - this fare class is regularly misunderstood by long term posters.
There is typically far more PN availability than R. If you are bothered about clearing I would check once a day to see if PN opens up.

If PN=1 you can still clear 1 however if PN opens up it is likely to be greater than 1 (educated guess on your flight) - you would actually be better off calling up your GS friend and tell them than PN has opened up on your flight - GS will
only take a couple of minutes to upgrade.

If you don't clear within 24 hrs of the flight I would come back on here and ask what your options are (T-24) - I suspect you will clear.

You were right. My wife and I both cleared yesterday, 3 weeks before takeoff.

Interesting enough, when the upgrade cleared it was then showing two separate reservations on the app. I had to call to get the seating figured out but it's all good now.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
How would a Plat ever be prioritized behind a Silver for a CPU? Even if you can't apply the RPU your CPU status will put you ahead of all Gold and Silvers.
I was asking if my status as a SDC would put me behind those who had long been booked on the 6am flight. No doubt a few CPUs will also be doled out at exactly T-24 -- perhaps to the very Silver members I used to count myself among. I won't have access to those seats since I'm still booked on the 8am and will still have to wait two hours to SDC.

Obviously I'm aware that under normal circumstances a Platinum member is ahead of Gold and Silver members for CPU purposes.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:09 pm

I was asking if my status as a SDC would put me behind those who had long been booked on the 6am flight. No doubt a few CPUs will also be doled out at exactly T-24 -- perhaps to the very Silver members I used to count myself among. Those are seats to which I'll have no access since I'm still booked on the 8am. That's what I meant.
Then I just don't understand what you're asking.

You're technically not permitted to waitlist an RPU following an SDC, since you are by definition within T-24 if you are able to SDC.

To the extent the time added to the waitlist tie-breaker becomes relevant after you SDC, your priority from the prior flight would not carry over. But that would never be relevant to your priority vs a Gold or Silver, since the first tie-breaker is status.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
To the extent the time added to the waitlist tie-breaker becomes relevant after you SDC, your priority from the prior flight would not carry over. But that would never be relevant to your priority vs a Gold or Silver, since the first tie-breaker is status.
Thanks for clarifying, and sorry my question annoyed you so much.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K
Any thoughts on this itinerary?

Hi all! New to Flyertalk, and wondering if anyone has thoughts of my chances of getting upgraded (Cash + Miles, no status) for:

3/19/17 - UA418 from EWR to SFO: J9 C4 D0 Z0 P0
3/19/17 - UA1 from SFO to SIN: J9 C4 D0 Z0 P0

I booked in June of 2016, if that matters for where I stand on the waitlist. For now both flights just show "upgrade requested".

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.