Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Anyone else having a fraud issue with their PPlus card? My card numbers just got
stolen and used for fraud in Mexico for the 3rd time
in the last month. Per Chase, they’re having a problem with people just randomly trying cards using the first 6 digits of the card number (which don’t change when reissued) until they find one that works. It’s all been small dollar amounts - all less than $10, so I’m glad I’ve caught it. We’ve now blocked all foreign transactions and ratcheted up scrutiny of US based ones. Pain in the neck for a card I use for international travel.

Anyone else in the 5466 xxxx xxxx xxxx card range having problems?
Yes, happens to me all the time. Beyond frustrating.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Yes, happens to me all the time. Beyond frustrating.
I really don’t want to give up this card - I like its benefits quite a bit - but this is beyond ridiculous. Just insane how many times we’ve replaced it in the last month. I use the card pretty heavy so I don’t want to give up the mileage.

Now, if Chase would offer me the Club card to actually use, and then let me hang on to this card at no fee just for the additional benefits (i.e. Avis Pres Club etc) ... maybe we’d have something. Because it’s becoming useless to me at this point.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Anyone else having a fraud issue with their PPlus card? My card numbers just got
stolen and used for fraud in Mexico for the 3rd time
in the last month. Per Chase, they’re having a problem with people just randomly trying cards using the first 6 digits of the card number (which don’t change when reissued) until they find one that works. It’s all been small dollar amounts - all less than $10, so I’m glad I’ve caught it. We’ve now blocked all foreign transactions and ratcheted up scrutiny of US based ones. Pain in the neck for a card I use for international travel.

Anyone else in the 5466 xxxx xxxx xxxx card range having problems?
Exactly the same problem. Last week was the third time since mid October and all at the same location, a Pizza Hut in Veracruz for 55 cents. As with you, 5466 card range. Chase finally told me to stop using the card in Mexico as this problem was all linked to PP there. They seemed clueless what to do about it but at least they didn't change my last four digits this time.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
Yes my card number has been stolen twice in Mexico in last 3 weeks. I am so confused as to why and how
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by sgfood
Exactly the same problem. Last week was the third time since mid October and all at the same location, a Pizza Hut in Veracruz for 55 cents. As with you, 5466 card range. Chase finally told me to stop using the card in Mexico as this problem was all linked to PP there. They seemed clueless what to do about it but at least they didn't change my last four digits this time.
Originally Posted by krentzie
Yes my card number has been stolen twice in Mexico in last 3 weeks. I am so confused as to why and how
The analyst I spoke with today said that it looks like what they’re doing is just testing thousands of permutations of “5466 57xx xxxx xxxx” until they get one that works ... I guess I’m happy that it’s not just me... but that’s still bad news. I was almost hoping that one of the places I have my card on file was leaking it, so we could narrow it down to one spot... but this sounds way worse, actually. Almost a systematic problem with how credit cards work in totality. Apple Pay can’t spread quick enough, fast enough, for me ...

Speaking of, WHY OH WHY OH WHY is this card not Apple Pay enabled yet?!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum

The analyst I spoke with today said that it looks like what they’re doing is just testing thousands of permutations of “5466 57xx xxxx xxxx” until they get one that works ... I guess I’m happy that it’s not just me... but that’s still bad news. I was almost hoping that one of the places I have my card on file was leaking it, so we could narrow it down to one spot... but this sounds way worse, actually. Almost a systematic problem with how credit cards work in totality. Apple Pay can’t spread quick enough, fast enough, for me ...

Speaking of, WHY OH WHY OH WHY is this card not Apple Pay enabled yet?!
You can switch it to a Visa to use Apple Pay
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by gusd

You can switch it to a Visa to use Apple Pay
Yes, but then I will lose the Avis Presidents Club ....and I use that.. A LOT.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Now, if Chase would offer me the Club card to actually use,.....
I have been thru 5 Club cards in the past 2.5 years
(but it is not just Chase cards -- My wife is had similar issues with her Macy's card and she never uses it anywhere but our local Macy's ???)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club

The analyst I spoke with today said that it looks like what they’re doing is just testing thousands of permutations of “5466 57xx xxxx xxxx” until they get one that works ... I guess I’m happy that it’s not just me... but that’s still bad news. I was almost hoping that one of the places I have my card on file was leaking it, so we could narrow it down to one spot... but this sounds way worse, actually. Almost a systematic problem with how credit cards work in totality.
Oy, that's what my Pres Plus card has.....now I'm even more paranoid than usual about checking it. The last time it had to be replaced was Thanksgiving 2015, with a string of foreign transactions I had nothing to do with. That one only lasted a few months from the previous bunch of foreign transactions. Looks like the same kind of thing happening again.....ugh. Wonder why it's so much of a problem with this particular card. I have a Hyatt card, a Hilton card, a Costco card, an American card, a Discover, a couple others....never had a peep of such a problem with any of the others.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:46 am

Yes, but then I will lose the Avis Presidents Club ....and I use that.. A LOT.
I thought this was discontinued with the card?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by edcho
I thought this was discontinued with the card?
Officially, yes.
Unofficially, it appears that it remains if you don’t swap out to the Visa card.

At least, mine is still intact.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:23 am

Officially, yes.
Unofficially, it appears that it remains if you don’t swap out to the Visa card.

At least, mine is still intact.
I still have the mastercard but mine dropped off when they announced it. Maybe it's cause I didn't use it too much.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by edcho
I still have the mastercard but mine dropped off when they announced it. Maybe it's cause I didn't use it too much.
Maybe that’s it then? I must rent from Avis 60-70 times a year.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:45 am

Maybe that’s it then? I must rent from Avis 60-70 times a year.
Yeah -- sounds like you earn it cause of your rentals (not cause of the PP card).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I had that kind of card number and experienced fraud 3x in 2 years when it was the Mastercard, but I switched to Visa and (knock on wood) it hasn't happened since. Also gets you Apple Pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.